Bell Ranger H-13J. Chilean Navy. LF MODELS

Hello all.  Finished last week this little kit took quite a lot of work to get together. The parts are moulded in soft grey plastic, all needing to be scraped and sanded to ensure a good fit. There is also a fair amount of etch to deal with, so the aged eyes and fingers had their work cut out for this one!

The aircraft is the executive version of the Bell 47 and according to the LF instructions had the distinction of being the first helicopter to carry a President of the United States. It was used by many civil and military users, and I think it was the star of a TV show called Whirlybirds which I watched on a black and white TV many moons ago.

The model is out of the (small) box other than the balances atop the rotor head which I made from old bits of etch and brass rod. I used Xtracolor enamels throughout and It’s finished as a Chilean Naval version from 1966.

It was great fun to do, hope you like it.

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

Most of the parts are inside, never to be seen again!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for having a look.

Pete

• Like 31

Superbly finished H-13!

The beauty of modelling the 'covered-up' version is that you don't have to accept a grossly overscale tail boom lattice, whatever the scale. I hope that there will be a 1:48th scale version in my lifetime. 😉

Impressive modelling there!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

On 01/10/2022 at 21:20, Spitfire31 said:

The beauty of modelling the 'covered-up' version is that you don't have to accept a grossly overscale tail boom lattice, whatever the scale. I hope that there will be a 1:48th scale version in my lifetime. 😉

Impressive modelling there!

Thanks. Yes agreed. I would like to do a 47 Sioux, but in 1/72 I think the boom needs to be etch, or scratch made out of metal rod.

If you are looking for one, LF Models make the Ranger in 1/48 and Italeri and Esoteric make the Sioux in 1/48th🙂.

Pete