RAF Gloster Meteors in Malta – 1953.

Geo1966

With the Meteor GB coming up in October, I would like to build one in honor of my Uncle who flew them in the early 50’s.

When I talked to him about it recently (bear in mind he is 93) he said he was in 19 Squadron and flew NF11 Night fighters in Malta in 1953. I have done a few searches for 19 Squadron in Malta, Meteors in Malta, NF11 in Malta, etc. Not really getting anywhere, so hoping you clever BM people can help out me please.

If he is right (and hasn’t lost his marbles) any photos, colour schemes and marking would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance,

George

RAF Squadrons - A Comprehensive Record etc. by Wing Commander Jefford lists 19 Sqn with the Meteor F8 from April 1951 through to Jan 1957, with Hunters coming on board from Oct 1956. Fighter Squadron (a history of 19 Sqn) by Derek Palmer makes only a very brief mention of 4 aircraft trying to get to Malta for a very short detachment but failing to get beyond Istres dues to weather issues in March 1953. A very quick skim over the other Meteor F8 years and I can't see Malta featuring much if at all. Certainly there is no mention of them ever being equipped with the NF11.

Hope this helps a little,

Mark.

• Thanks 1

George,

Going at this from another angle, the NF13 was a tropicalised version of the NF11 and was flown by 39 Sqn and 219 Sqn from Kabrit in Egypt's Suez Canal Zone from March 1953. 219 Sqn disbanded at Kabrit in September 1954 but 39 moved to Luqa in January 1955. Having checked all the other squadrons listed by Jefford as operating the Meteor NF11, none were based in Malta.

Mark.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Harry Lime said:

George,

Going at this from another angle, the NF13 was a tropicalised version of the NF11 and was flown by 39 Sqn and 219 Sqn from Kabrit in Egypt's Suez Canal Zone from March 1953. 219 Sqn disbanded at Kabrit in September 1954 but 39 moved to Luqa in January 1955. Having checked all the other squadrons listed by Jefford as operating the Meteor NF11, none were based in Malta.

Mark.

IIRC 39 did operate at times a few NF11 to supplement the 13's when there was a shortage of NF13 airframes.

Selwyn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Harry Lime said:

Certainly there is no mention of them ever being equipped with the NF11.

Thanks for the info Mark.

I am starting to think my Uncle is a bit more confussed than i thought. He was positive about NF11 and Malta, but not so sure about 19 Squadron. Obviously from what you have said, it sounds like he has the NF11 and Malta confussed also.

Wonder if i can arrange to get him hypnotised to delve into the depths of his brain! 😆

George

BTW i do remember him talking about being in Iraq and flying sorties along the border. Nothing to do with Malta, but maybe Meteors?

George

It might be worth visiting him again with a bottle of his favourite throat lubricant. Ask him if he's got his log book or a photo album. Do you know any other RAF veterans from the 50s or 60s? If you could get one to accompany you they would quickly begin reminiscing and you might be astonished at the stories that come out.

All of these have worked for me!

Try also 29 Squadron which flew NF11s from Jan '50 to Nov '57, although a quick skim through Cold War Shield doesn't bring up any mention of Malta.

PS if you do narrow it down to 39/219/another squadron and want any scans of the copious photos in Cold War Shield drop me a PM :)