Revell 1:32 Spitfire Mk. IXc

Fellow Modellers,

It's been some time since i've done any aircraft models. Lost my modelling mojo a bit during the very hot Summer and been having a lot of physical problems this year with my hands, wrists, elbows and shoulders. oh well! guess this is just age, but at times i can't grip any small things without a lot of pain! Arghhhhh!

I did manage to do the Airfix 1:72 USAAF Airfield Bomber Re-Supply kit, but it took me since April until now. I'll do a RFI post for this soon. btw i thought this kit was excellent!

I found working at this scale at times quite painful so... my thoughts have turned again to larger scales.

I got this kit some time ago for about £22. I can't really afford the excellent Tamiya offering in 1:32 - maybe one day! The Revell kit has it's known limitations and errors and omissions so i understand.  I've added a bit of plastic in the cockpit behind the pilot's seat for the missing armoured plate (this was the spare doors from the USAAF tanker cut to size) You will hardly see it of course but thought i'd add it for good measure! 

I've not decided if i'll do this OOB or pick another Spitfire as i still have some unused Xtradecals 1:32 RAF decals I can use. I'm always partial to a 56 Squadron aircraft as my uncle flew Tempest Vs with them in combat. I will have to do some research to see if i can pick a suitable a/c from 56. It may turn out that it was never flown by them? Any suggestions for a famous pilot\squadron combination for this Mark of Spit would be most welcomed!

I'll add some pics for this thread very soon of course. i've only done the cockpit initial assembly though so not much to show yet!

Here's a couple off progress so far. Cockpit almost ready.. Fuselage halves ready to be glued!

IMG_0944

'

Here's the pilot's seat armour plate modificatiion i did. It's not correct in the pure sense but you won't see the back of the seat when it's closed up. 

IMG_0945

Edited by Col Walter E Kurtz
  • Like 6

35 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Ahh brilliant.  Nice progress Andy,  looking good, not sure if worried about this but the seat armour is placed directly behind the seat in front of hhe fame it mounts to.

Great work

Chris

yes .. sadly i'd already glued the seat in before i'd found out from another thread it's not in the kit. Not too worried about this.. live and learn for next time. thanks for pointing this out though.. much obliged.

cheers, Andy

• Like 2

A lot of progress on this over the weekend. i'm always amazed with a spitfire-once you see that beautiful elliptical wing take shape! Breathtaking

Problems encountered so far 

The Tail for the Late Mk iXc 'doesn't fit the tabs on the tail-   so  I elected to use the early MKiXc tail instead.

The Starboard wing top half left a 1.5 mm gap at the wing root. The rest of the kit seems to be pretty much ok so far.

I'm posing this on the ground with flaps retracted. I've read this is correct. Pilots who left their flaps down on parking were fined a round of drinks for this infraction.. so i've read! lol

The canopy i'll set closed and unlike my usuual method i will glue it in place then mask it for painting.

The Progress so far.

IMG_0946

IMG_0947

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Winded Penguin said:

A lovely looking kit, and progressing rapidly 👍

I intend to use the late rudder on my kit too, so I'll lookout for that issue.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Yes mate! it could be fixed I guess. The bottom 'hinge' is correct. it's the top one that is about 7mm too low. You would have to cut out a new hinge recess and fill the old one. 

It's not a bad kit at all IMHO though. the front air intake on mine went together very tightly and sanded down so there is no line visible at all!

Elliptical wing tip assemblies are very good as are the tail elevators. They fit together tightly and locate in the tail nicely!

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great progress Andy, it looks great. 

That was quick too.

Chris

Thanks mate. yes thought i'd crack on with this one!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Well not much progress on this.. i've been invited back to my old job out of retirement.. i wrestled with the decision but in the end the Dollars won! 

It's nice to be back at work I have to say and with the way things are going, i'm going to need the extra money to top up my pension pot! Happily i am allowed to work from home 4 days a week so, the model making is still a viable lunchtime and after work activity.

Will take a couple of pics of the progress this weekend!

• Like 4

WIN_20221015_20_45_01_Pro

WIN_20221015_20_45_20_Pro

A couple of pics of the grey Primer. i've attended to a few imperfections with filler. It's looking nice i think. I was a little more restrained with the spraying this time. Also i used Maskol on the canopy after gluing it in place. The Canopy is ideal for this as it has some nice ridges to flow the maskol up to. Normally i put the canopy on as one of the last things. Enjoy!

• Like 8

5 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Working from home is great, congratulations on getting your job back again.

Chris

Thanks Chris !  when it's 4 hours plus a day travelling , which i did for years! to be able to work from home is worth 2 days extra 'working' time which i can spend relaxing. It took a global Pandemic to show how valuable hybrid working is. Better mental and physical health, higher productivity of workforces, less traffic and pollution. makes sense to me! 

Edited by Col Walter E Kurtz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Thanks Chris !  when it's 4 hours plus a day travelling , which i did for years! to be able to work from home is worth 2 days extra 'working' time which i can spend relaxing. It took a global Pandemic to show how valuable hybrid working is. Better mental and physical health, higher productivity of workforces, less traffic and pollution. makes sense to me! 

Certainly does Andy, again we were the same , it took the pandemic for us too, now home working but visit the office one day a week, which is great. 

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One criticism of this kit i is the cannons.

They are made from 3 parts. The wing root base then a 2 part barrel. Seems to me it would have been better to mould the barrel as one piece? The two parts are a little bit dodgy when they fit together. A minor point i guess but still a thing to watch out for when building this kit. I'd consider an aftermarket 'Master' brass turned alternative if i was to do the kit again. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

One criticism of this kit i is the cannons.

They are made from 3 parts. The wing root base then a 2 part barrel. Seems to me it would have been better to mould the barrel as one piece? The two parts are a little bit dodgy when they fit together. A minor point i guess but still a thing to watch out for when building this kit. I'd consider an aftermarket 'Master' brass turned alternative if i was to do the kit again. 

Yesterday I assembled the cannons on mine, and I concur 100% with everything you've said here. The barrels are a focal point when the kit is assembled.

• Thanks 1

Some more progress today. First RAF Green No2  Cammo colour laid down, Did some semi gloss line sprays and the Prop blades..

Also a little bit of paint scratching for the chipping on the Port wing root! - i put a bit of mig metal paint on these areas beforehand.

A few micro paint 'spits' ended up on the cammo so will have to attend to these as part of the weathering. 

The Dark Sea Grey Cammo i'll use my tried and tested Bluetac sausage method. Will let the Green dry off for 24 hours in anycase and trie to get the slightly feathered edge to the Grey..

WIN_20221016_16_04_03_Pro

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again!

i've been quite busy at work ( why did I ever decide to go back? lol)

Made a little more progress.

1. finished the Prop. put some light silvering on the reverse of the blades!

2. Sea grey applied over the dark green

3. Fishtail exhausts weathered with black and rust colour and fixed in place

It will need another pass with the sea green and some more work on the chipping around the wing roots though.

The tail wheel oleo has broken off.. damn. can be fixed but i guess i should have kept this off until last! 

WIN_20221108_10_12_59_Pro

• Like 8