Czech MiG-23 Hellfighter 1/72 RV MiG-23 MF

Here's my kit to throw into the "Specials" ring. I've got a couple of other things on the go but will do bits & pieces to this as & when.

Saw this at a show a couple of weeks ago & thought, you don't often see this one so had to have it. It will also fit well with some other previous builds especially my "cartoon" Czech MiG-21UM. Those Czech's do like their special schemes!

52389691400_372743dbf9_h.jpg

52389509333_536d7150f2_h.jpg

52389509323_ba4413f875_h.jpg

• Like 13

5 minutes ago, Andwil said:

Painting it is certainly going to be a challenge.

AW

Certainly will be a challenge. I'll likely hand cut some masks from some scrap oramask sheet. Will transpose those ragged demarcations in scale from that colour instruction sheet.

• Like 1

The more attention I pay to that painting guide the more involved I realise the scheme to be. Best of good luck with this one as it'll make a stunning addition to your collection.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Its too bad you cant scan the scheme and have someone cut masks for you with a programmable cutter ? 

I managed to do it by hand with the tiger tail on my Su-22. I'm hoping my skills with tracing paper, pencil & swann Morton knife are still up to scratch. It's those white nose markings I'm wary of. 

I'll scan & print off that colour instruction sheet to 1/72 (the same measurements as the kit) then trace from that. Should be a doddle! 😆 Famous last words! 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Gotta' build it first and you're a finicky little so 'n' so.

Stuart

You know me! I'd prefer perfectionist over finicky! 😆 Not always guaranteed perfection though!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Liquid mask for the nose if the printing/tracing doesn't work ? You could paint the stripes on with liquid mask using a small fine point brush. 

Thanks mate I might do exactly that. Got some of that Abteilung liquid mask so that should do the trick. I've got two other builds on the go at the moment so this will start at a snails pace for the time being.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

I've got two other builds on the go at the moment so this will start at a snails pace for the time being.

A bit like mine, mate. It has been rolling since the end of 2021 ;). Good luck. I needs some work but with build to a nice Flogger :)

Martin

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 1/26/2023 at 6:50 PM, socjo1 said:

Hope this project will be continued... I wish see this incredible model finished!

Regards,

Michal

Hi Michal it had been put on the back burner while I've been working on other things. A tank and a car of all things. 

I'll have to get this build thread moved to the main aircraft work in progress section & show some more in progress pics.

After a hiatus due to completing a couple of other builds & a Czech helicopter to distract me, I'm back to concentrating on this devilish MiG-23.

Thanks to Enzo, it's been extracted from the now completed group build with the longest name ever (Prototypes, Racers, Research, Record breakers, Special schemes megaGB) & now here she is back in production.

Onwards...

So, since it's 1/72 & the RV kit didn't have decals for the nose markings, I found an image of the decal set from the Trumpeter kit, scanned it, drew a vector line image on it, then printed it off in 1/72 to fit the RV kit. Taped the printed line image to a sheet of oramask sheet then carefully cut through the print onto the mask.

Voila! Pre-painted with light ghost grey which pretty much is as close as it gets to the light grey on this airframe.

52799589286_7e503ef09f_c.jpg

In this image I've started to paint on some liquid mask, this was a practice session to see how well I could paint it on. I did re paint it.

52799020837_610ac9fdff_c.jpg

• Like 4

Well my DIY mask worked on the nose. Got the black areas on & masked for the wheel bays which, from looking at colour references looked to be a very light grey.

52805295250_6d8c1d10d0_c.jpg

52805295215_2c1c1b3aff_c.jpg

The raggedy edges from the liquid mask give it a more devilish effect.

52804335697_cf603af132_c.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Fred piket said:

I just love it! Your creativity,  your solutions to the problems at hand are impressive.. this is going to be a huge success

Thanks Fred, I always like a challenge to exercise the grey cells. It's always rewarding removing masking.

58 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Somehow I missed this before, Martin. A great build!!!!! That kit is a challenge but builds up very nicely, in my view.

Martin

Thanks mate, one of the reasons I don't take up with group builds as I have a habit of falling behind. Always going from one kit to another! 

I do like these RV kits as there's loads of detail. Seem pretty accurate & some etch parts. I've also got one of the RV Mirage III's which also looks like a challenge. Anyway this will get finished & another model to present at our next club competition.