++FINISHED++ Mini Cooper 1967 Monte Carlo winner

Looking at my Ferrari F60 F1 build for this GB I have realised that there is going to be a lot of  time waiting for paint and decals to dry, so I thought I'd add another build in to keep me occupied. I've chosen an iconic rally car as I don't think even I can get parts mixed up between these 2, but let's see as they're both red 🤣

Had the kit for a while now off @Anteater and I'm finally going to get round to making a start :) 

So this is my place marker for the 1967 Monte Carlo winning Mini Cooper S  😀 

Busy weekend ahead playing trains at the GCR, but hope to make a start on both builds Monday 

20220930_105923

• Like 11

• Redstaff changed the title to Mini Cooper S 1967 Monte Carlo winner
5 hours ago, CliffB said:

A brilliant choice @Redstaff.  Brings back memories of collecting all the Corgi rally cars (mainly Minis and Imps), back in the day :)

I think it was one of the first car plastic kits I ever made all those years ago, so it's going to be a nostalgia build for me as well, hopefully it'll come out better this time as I've got (a little) more patience 😀 

Ian 😀 

• Haha 1

As its not a day for painting here at the minute on the Ferrari, I thought I'd make a start on the mini. Engine mainly assembled and rest of the parts for the front end ready. 😀

20221008_115542

• Like 5

It all looks to be coming together well Ian. Been a while since I've been intimate with the insides of an old Mini but everything seems to be well rendered from what I can recall of them.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Col. said:

It all looks to be coming together well Ian. Been a while since I've been intimate with the insides of an old Mini but everything seems to be well rendered from what I can recall of them.

I think all of us of a certain age have been there with skinned and bruised knuckles trying to get your hands into spaces where hands aren't supposed to be.  It's bringing back memories as I'm going along 😃

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Redstaff said:

I think all of us of a certain age have been there with skinned and bruised knuckles trying to get your hands into spaces where hands aren't supposed to be.  It's bringing back memories as I'm going along 😃

Bottom radiator hose, my knuckles still bear the scars. :D

Your detail work is far too realistic for my peace of mind. ;) :D 

Steve.

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Not done a lot to the mini for a while as the carbon fibre decalling on the Ferrari F60 seem never ending. But I've managed to paint the engine and chassis and mate them together. I've painted the chassis Italian red, but it looks a little dark to me, so I might use normal red on the body. 

20221027_104150

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Col. said:

Good to see this one is ticking over and not being totally ignored in favour of the Ferrari :) 

Still trying to keep it moving along, I needed a break from all the Ferrari carbon decals TBH, it's being a real ball ache as I couldn't get hold of the decal sheet, so someone scanned theirs for me and I'm using that as a template to cut out my own decals from a sheet of carbon decal, so doubling the work on an already long task 🙄

They'll both be finished by the end of the GB, just not sure in which order yet though :) 

Ian

• Like 1

More progress on the mini yesterday as I'm giving the Ferrari a break with the decals as its doing my head in at the minute, making me all goggle eyed 🤣

Engine all in, rear subframe and exhaust on and a lot of bits in primer. 

Away for a few days r&r later in the week, so can't see much more being done to either before we get back 

20221030_060458 20221030_060524

• Like 7

Managed to get an hour in last night even though it'll probably never be seen again, I thought the engine bay was crying out for a bit of extra detail. So I've added ignition leads and a couple of pipes from the brake servo. A little artistic licence has been used. A day at work today then off tomorrow for a long weekend to mop up a couple of holidays I've got to use before I lose them. 

20221102_044026

• Like 6

Coming on nicely.

Don't know if it's too late, but despite what Tamiya instruct, I'm reasonably sure my 3 minis gearbox and sump were unpainted.  On the other hand it was nearly 40 years ago and everything was usually caked with leaked oil! 🤣

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, malpaso said:

Coming on nicely.

Don't know if it's too late, but despite what Tamiya instruct, I'm reasonably sure my 3 minis gearbox and sump were unpainted.  On the other hand it was nearly 40 years ago and everything was usually caked with leaked oil! 🤣

Thanks

It is too late to change, but the sump and gearbox are covered by a sump guard anyway, so won't be seen. I am going to give it a light oil wash soon though, as I had a Marina with the same A series engine, and that always had a film of oil to protect it as well, but I'm sure the sump and engine on that were black :) 

Ian :) 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

After a few days away and loads of work to catch up on once back, managed to get the bodyshell in topcoat (Tamiya TS86 out of a can) and roof, got the chassis sat on its painted wheels as well. Decided on light gunmetal for the wheels in the end. 

Hopefully more later in the week 😃

20221114_225841

• Like 7