1/72 - McDD F-15 Eagle family by Finemolds - F-15C/J & MSIP/D/DJ released - new boxings F-15J & DJ in May 2024

Homebee

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - McDD F-15 Eagle by Finemolds - in design

Hmm. While the cockpit detail looks nice there seems to be a join where the separate wings meet the fuselage section rather than the single piece upper found in other kits and that seems a retrograde step in my personal opinion :( 

7 hours ago, Col. said:

Hmm. While the cockpit detail looks nice there seems to be a join where the separate wings meet the fuselage section rather than the single piece upper found in other kits and that seems a retrograde step in my personal opinion :( 

?????

Come on. This not a kit in the image. It's just a 3D printed test model for shape design. IMO it's too early to comment.

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Homebee said:

?????

Come on. This not a kit in the image. It's just a printed test model for shape design. IMO it's too early to comment.

V.P.

In that case please excuse my comment as I did not realise this was simply a printed test piece.

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - McDD F-15 Eagle family by Finemolds - in design

I'm a huge fan of their F-4s.  Not into the F-2 so much (though the F-16 is my #1 favorite plane).  I've got a 75% completed Hasegawa F-15C, but i need to build a few more Eagles (with the ORANG close by).  Knowing FMs level of detail and engineering, i'm really looking forward to this one.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ruudster said:

I've got a 75% completed Hasegawa F-15C, but i need to build a few more Eagles (with the ORANG close by).  Knowing FMs level of detail and engineering, i'm really looking forward to this one.

I've become a big fan of FineMolds since I purchased a few of their F-4s and an F-2. But I don't see this being released before summer '23.

• Like 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - McDD F-15 Eagle family by Finemolds - in design - release in 2023 ?
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Violet Club said:

I will be very happy if Fine molds could issue very early F-15s (prototypes) with the smaller airbrake ; particulary useful if you build NASA early F-15s as well as ACTIVE version.

I would agree that it would be nice, but I don't think it is likely. 

Finemolds is focused on the domestic Japanese market, which is interested in JMSDF aircraft, or US aircraft with significant presence in Japan. F-15s in Kadena, I'm looking at you. I don't think that there were many very early F-15s stationed in Japan, but I'm sure somebody will correct me if I am wrong.

1 hour ago, Hoops said:

I don't think that there were many very early F-15s stationed in Japan, but I'm sure somebody will correct me if I am wrong.

If I remember correctly, units based in Japan converted in 1979 straight from F-4s to the factory fresh F-15C and D models. Some of the aircraft delivered in 1979 are still stationed at Kadena.

• Thanks 1

this is so funny!!!!!!!! revell makes a new F15, everyone complains about another F15 (quality not a subject), no one needs another one etc etc.

Finemolds does a new one, people are happy.

Did i miss something? 😏

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fin said:

Also the fact that anything announced by Arma Hobby, Clear Prop and Finemolds is very well received. Or so it seems to me by reading this sub-forum. :)

Finemolds does really quality work, I've been consistently impressed with every kit of theirs I've bought.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

Yep, difference between F-15E and F-15C.

apart from the fact that revell has made its tool optional for other versions AFAIK, GWH made a nice -C.

1 hour ago, RCI said:

apart from the fact that revell has made its tool optional for other versions AFAIK

Kit #03841 is F-15E, there are no other versions based on this tooling, just another box with paints and glue. Maybe they will release other versions, maybe not. As long as there's no news, there's not much to be excited about.

1 hour ago, RCI said:

GWH made a nice -C.

F-15C MSIP II, modification flown for the first time on June 20, 1985. This kit was released three years ago and there is no sign that GWH wants to make an early F-15C/D, let alone an F-15A/B.

Fine Molds, on the other hand, is likely to include early F-15C/Ds in its production, as the Japanese versions are based on them. Besides, looking at how carefully they are developing the F-4 family, it is quite likely that they will approach the F-15 project in a similar way.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Trenton guy said:

I have a Platz F-15J in the stash which is also a very nice kit. Wonder why and how Fine Molds think they can do sufficiently better. The Platz kit seta high bar.

Who said Fine Molds are trying to do better? Not every manufacture who brings out a kit is trying to produce a more detail kit than everyone else.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Trenton guy said:

I have a Platz F-15J in the stash which is also a very nice kit. Wonder why and how Fine Molds think they can do sufficiently better. The Platz kit seta high bar.

I have one of their Phantom kits and I have also looked the Platz kits parts at my local shop. And I can definitely say the Fine Molds kit has surface details that are a lot finer and suited to 1/72 scale. The Platz kits surface details are a lot heavier. Almost to the point they would look more suited to a 1/32 scale kit.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Trenton guy said:

I don’t want to get philosophical here, but I do wonder. The essence of the competitive marketplace is differentiation and competitive advantage. I still wonder what it will be.

That competitive advantage can come from the newer kit being more available. The Platz F-15 doesn't seem to be readily available from a UK seller at the moment. 

Like Joeltc mentioned here's a comparison of the surface detail between the F-15 and F-4 kit. But we'll just have to wait and see what the difference is between to two Eagles.

f4-fm-16.jpg

ac17photo.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1