1/48 - Lockheed-Martin F-35A & B Lightning II by Tamiya - released

Homebee

11 hours ago, Sebastien said:

Maybe in order to build both the open canopy and close canopy options (canopy frames are provided for both) and switch at will between them.

S.

Typical Tamiya genius, and why not? saves building two to show one canopy open and one closed !

On 10/12/2022 at 10:17 AM, koho said:

What's the deal with two canopies? They seem to be exactly the same, at least on the picture above.

Both canopies are twins; correct. Take a look at Sprue G; one canopy frame is moulded for closure, the other moulded to be open and I’m guessing, easily switchable.

#moretamiyageniusness

Edited by Sundowner14

I have no shelf to put the kit on. I have no space to put the finished model on if/when I ever build it, but I want it! 😶

The RAM panels do not look that bad in pure plastic. If not over done with panel wash (which should only be done in the actual panel gaps, IMHO) and covered by a payer of paint, it will look good, I think.

But they DIDENT make a F-35 paint. If you look at 14:34 in the video above, you can see that both gray colors are called out as a mix of two Tamiya paints each. (argh!) That, I do not like so much.

With the F-35 and the F-22 (and probably others too in the near future) being the same gray, I think that Tamiya and others can afford to make a paint for that. Shame it is missing.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, SprueMan said:

I have no shelf to put the kit on. I have no space to put the finished model on if/when I ever build it, but I want it! 😶

The RAM panels do not look that bad in pure plastic. If not over done with panel wash (which should only be done in the actual panel gaps, IMHO) and covered by a payer of paint, it will look good, I think.

But they DIDENT make a F-35 paint. If you look at 14:34 in the video above, you can see that both gray colors are called out as a mix of two Tamiya paints each. (argh!) That, I do not like so much.

With the F-35 and the F-22 (and probably others too in the near future) being the same gray, I think that Tamiya and others can afford to make a paint for that. Shame it is missing.

If you’re not hell-bent on using Tamiya paints then from what I can find on the internet AK Interactve, Mission Models and Hataka make Have Glass Grey.

https://ak-interactive.com/product/have-glass-grey-10ml/

https://www.missionmodelsus.com/products/have-glass-grey-fs36170

https://www.hataka-hobby.com/en_US/p/HTK-A058-Have-Glass-Grey-FS36170/108

• Thanks 1

SMS paint in Australia do a Have Glass grey. I love their paint, but zero idea on this colour as I don’t buy/build/have interest in anything that uses this colour. Until now. This kit will be added to the retirement hobby room (sounds better that stash)

https://www.scalemodeller.com.au/products/premium-have-glass-grey-30ml?_pos=1&_sid=d9556179a&_ss=r

On 10/16/2022 at 2:58 PM, Fullofit said:

If you’re not hell-bent on using Tamiya paints then from what I can find on the internet AK Interactve, Mission Models and Hataka make Have Glass Grey.

I live in a relatively good size metropolitan area but no one carries AK Interactive nor Hataka.  Mission Models we do have so this will help.  Tamiya is my go-to paint so would rather have Tamiya but Mission Models it will be!

Edited by Harold55
Fixed

7 hours ago, Cammer625 said:

but zero idea on this colour as I don’t buy/build/have interest in anything that uses this colour. Until now.

Getting this finish right is going to be a very interesting part of this build. I have not done such a finish and really looking forward to it. 

• Like 1

the forgiving thing about FS36170 is that it changes according to lighting conditions, hence you can get by using nearly anything that matches. Just look at the pictures of F-16's in HG5 scheme - they vary from something close to FS36231 to dark gunship grey or metallic grey. 

• Like 2

On 10/16/2022 at 3:26 PM, SprueMan said:

Same here. I have no space to display kits. I have a few in my stash that I want to build but slow their builds down or build them partially as space is an issue. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Lockheed-Martin F-35A Lightning II by Tamiya - released
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, GazB said:

Do we know of an estimated release date for December? Got one pre-ordered, but heard nothing beyond 'December' 

Gaz 

December 9th for US release. Sorry haven't heard anything for the UK.

• Like 1