1/48 - Lockheed-Martin F-35A & B Lightning II by Tamiya - released

Homebee

News from All Japan Model and Hobby Show 2022, Tamiya is to release a new tool 1/48th Lockheed Martin F-35A Lightning II kit - nef. 61124

Sources: 

https://www.tamiyausa.com/blog/lockheed-f-35-lightning-ii/

https://www.facebook.com/TamiyaUSA/posts/pfbid0DsupchYkdFciHSQSSJ4ZDwo4vQymWPjsq8UmhVu8Jdp6Vz7QTGYLFXd8UK8dALnPl

A Singular Concept!

The most technologically advanced modern fighter on the planet is finally available in our legendary 1/48 Aircraft Series. Thanks to extensive research, the A variant of the Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II comes to modelers workbenches. The F-35 - variant A for the Air Force, B for the Marines and C for the Navy –developed under the Joint Strike Fighter Program (JSF) and is-seen as one of the fifth-generation fighters. These aircraft possess highly advanced stealth characteristics and network connectivity, plus superior situational awareness provided by numerous integrated sensors. The F-35 Lightning II was-first-delivered in 2015, and deployment of over 3,000 F-35s is-planned around the world. Inheriting the Lightning appellation from the famed P-38, the F-35 will lead worldwide air arms for years to come.

• 1/48 scale plastic model assembly kit. Wingspan: 222mm, fuselage length: 326mm.
  • Realistically depicted Radar absorbent material (RAM) sections.
  • This kit can be-assembled with one choice of the three ordnance patterns – stealth mode, air-to-air mode, and beast mode. Ordnance parts can be-attached under wing.
  • Features realistic renderings of the following sections:
  • Weapons bay inside details including depictions of wiring
  • Engine nozzle, cockpit, and landing gear bays
  • Martin-Baker US16E ejection seat (multiple-piece design)
  • Ladder which extends from nose left side
  • Nose undersurface side details
  • Y- shaped air intakes
  • Engine nozzle (5-piece design)
  • RCS (radar cross section) enhancers affixed to top and bottom sections (two for each, four in total) during basic training exercises
  • Boxes stored in nose landing gear bay
  • Choose from open or closed weapons bay covers and canopy (the latter is interchangeable), up or down flaps, and extended or retracted boarding ladder.
  • Includes a realistically recreated seated pilot figure with Helmet-Mounted Display (HMD) and various kinds of ordnance: AIM-9X Sidewinder x2, AIM-120C AMRAAM x2, GBU-12 Paveway II x4, and GBU-31 JDAM x2.
  • Transparent parts capture sensor windows.
  • Comes with nine marking options - U.S. Air Force, Japan Air Self-Defense Force, Royal Norwegian Air Force, Royal Danish Air Force, Royal Australian Air Force, Israeli Air Force, Italian Air Force, Republic of Korea Air Force, and Royal Netherlands Air Force. (Also, drag chute fairing component is-included only for the Royal Norwegian Air Force.)
  • Includes canopy masking stickers and a full-color painting guide.

MSRP: $98.00

309439590-10158965007342874-270104804217

309843505-473178568182465-10720300549380

V.P.

Matt-Memory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Lockheed-Martin F-35A Lightning II by Tamiya - box art+test build - release in 2022

Just when I thought I might save some money. I'm in. I have been wanting to build a RAAF F-35A. Now with Tamiya there will be no excuse not to. 

Ray

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Greg B said:

I will take a punt with an RAAF frame for sure

I'm with you Greg. I'll have to build it with headphones on, watching the great air show demos (the recent twilight ones Oshkosh and Sanicole are special) or Mach Loop with that massive single F135-PW-100 on afterburner. 43,000 lbs thrust. All engine. 

Cool picture by the way.

Ray

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Wasn’t there going to be two Tamiya new release announcements? So we have this F-35, what’s the other one? 

Hi Dave,

Discussion continues here. 

Ray

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

A bit left field, but Tamiya surprises with kit choice as often as not. I can see this quickly become the F-35A of choice amongst modellers :)

Left field up to a point: all latest Tamiya 1/48 postwar aircraft kits have been of pretty important types (F-16, Tomcat, Phantom) and the F-35 will be the most important military aircraft of the next 30 years. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, paulsbrown said:

Is it just me or does the RAM still look over pronounced like all the other F-35 offerings?

It does indeed!! You'd have thought someone like Tamiya would have at least tried to refine them somewhat. Makes it look like a reboxed Italeri kit. So disappointing again.

• Like 1

A very interesting good news from Tamiya !

This new kit will also include this option :

Quote :

''Also, drag chute fairing component is-included only for the Royal Norwegian Air Force''.

Unquote.

For your information, the drag chute fairing will also equip the future fleet

of 88 x CF-35A of the Royal Canadian Air Force !!!

😀

SharkOwl

Edited by SharkOwl
  • Like 2

Hi,

I'm pretty pleased with this. I have 0 F-35's so far, but now that the 48th FW is transitioning to F-35's, I had been thinking that I'd like an F-35A in 1/48 at some time.

Many other units in whose F-104's, F-4's and F-16's I had an interest in will be getting F-35A's too, so at least one seems inevitable.

Great box-art too. 

Cheers, Stefan.

• Like 1

Jadlam link

Had an email from JADLAM saying it was a 1/24 kit (as link) did think that was an odd scale for TAMIYA, so a quick check on here sorted that query.

Not for me in 1/24 or 1/48 but hopefully a B will follow IDC

Rich

This might sound crazy, but I wonder if the RAM panels on the F-35A are as pronounced as they are in order that there be little to distinguish between it and the Italeri reboxed F-35B. Too much contrast might adversely affect sales?

11 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

This might sound crazy, but I wonder if the RAM panels on the F-35A are as pronounced as they are in order that there be little to distinguish between it and the Italeri reboxed F-35B. Too much contrast might adversely affect sales?

Tamiya for a while had in the catalogue both their recent and very good 1/72 F-16C and Italeri's old F-16A in the same scale and the two kits were miles apart, so I don't think they'd be bothered by such a thing. If they went for raised RAM panels it's likely because they feel this is the best way to show them. An approach that I do not share but in the end it's Tamiya who put the money to make the kit, not me.. 😂

5 hours ago, SharkOwl said:

A very interesting news !

This new kit will also include this option :

Quote :

''Also, drag chute fairing component is-included only for the Royal Norwegian Air Force''.

Unquote.

For your information, the drag chute fairing will also equip the future fleet

of 88 x CF-35A of the Royal Canadian Air Force !!!

😀

SharkOwl

Also the future Finnish fleet of F-35A´s will be equiped with the drag chute!🥳

• Thanks 2