Dauntless SBD-5

Hi Everybody, this is my latest submission. Built entirely out of the box and painted with a mixture of Tamiya and Revell acrylics.

A very enjoyable project that went together really well.

Nothing more to say really other than as usual all comments and criticisms are welcome.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking.

• Like 23

2 hours ago, Samuraiwarrior said:

Hi Telboy3510, 

Nice build and paint work. Are those gun ports on the wings? Never seen them before on a Dauntless. 

Thanks for sharing. 

Kevin 

Unfortunately I'm not an expert on aircraft, I build models I like the the look of and depend on the instructions. The instructions indicated those decals should be placed there. I have since Googled images of the Dauntless and you are right there doesn't seem to be guns in the wings. Another lesson learnt!!

This has to be the ex-Accurate Miniatures kit and not the ancient SBD version Revell originally produced in 1960.  I have a few of those reboxings and if this is the kit you used to make this model, I am truly and humbly impressed.  As is, even if it is the old AM kit, you have done a great job on it.  Love the construction and paint work.

1 hour ago, Samuraiwarrior said:

Nice build and paint work. Are those gun ports on the wings? Never seen them before on a Dauntless. 

Kevin,  I've seen several kits built up with what looks like 2 gun ports per wing over the years, mainly the 5 version rather than the 3 version.  The only actual Dauntless I have seen only had one gun port per wing and it was a 5.    The Revell instructions have an example of a built kit that has the 2 ports per wing.  Other references you go to have the forward fixed machine guns in the cowl.  I am not sure where the 2 ports per wing image originates.