What motorbike can I legally drive in the UK

Folkbox1

Ok, bit puzzled here.

I passed my test (car) in 1983 and I'm sure I remember that I could drive a moped and a motorbike up to 125cc (with L plates) on this licence.

Looking at my modern photo licence it looks like I can drive a moped (AM catedory) and motorbike (A category) there is nothing to say I need L plates for either.  Looking at the DVLC website hasn't really helped although it does say having category A means I can drive A1 and A2 which seems to cover all motorbikes.  This can't be right, can it? That I can drive any motorbike on my car licence?

Category AM

You can drive 2-wheeled or 3-wheeled vehicles with a maximum design speed of over 25km/h (15.5mph) but not more than 45km/h (28mph).

This category also includes light quad bikes with:

unladen mass of not more than 350kg (not including batteries if it’s an electric vehicle)

maximum design speed of over 25km/h (15.5mph) but not more than 45km/h (28mph)

Category A1

You can drive light motorbikes with:

an engine size up to 125cc

a power output of up to 11kW

a power to weight ratio not more than 0.1kW/kg

This category also includes motor tricycles with power output up to 15kW.

Category A2

You can drive motorbikes with a:

power output up to 35kW

power to weight ratio not more than 0.2kW/kg

The motorbike must also not be derived from a vehicle of more than double its power.

You can also drive motorbikes in category A1.

Category A

You can drive:

motorbikes with a power output more than 35kW or a power to weight ratio more than 0.2kW/kg

motor tricycles with a power output more than 15kW

You can also drive motorbikes in categories A1 and A2.

Puzzled

Hi

Pretty sure that you can ride up to a 125cc up to 11kw (used to be 13bhp I think) but only provisionally on L plates for 2 years or until you pass your test, but you have to take a CBT first (Compulsory Basic Training) before you can ride anything on the road even though you have a full car licence.

www.gov.uk/motorcycle-cbt 

Best bet is get in touch with a local bike training outfit and have a chat

Ian 

You have to do your CBT (Compulsory Basic Training) and pass that test first. Then you can ride a bike up to 125cc with L plates on a full car licence. Anything bigger and you need to get a proper bike licence.

The above is correct, and remember that despite common practice, L plates on the front are compulsory, and if absent the bike is liable for a seizure and the rider for driving otherwise than in accordance.

Jon (black rat)

It's all got a bit confusing these days.

Passed my test in 1980 having previously no need to drive for some years. On the old paper style licence it had the usual classes etc. and also stated that I could drive 7 1/2 ton truck. Whoopee. Happy Days etc. Until I renewed my licence the last twice (photocard type). Not only have they removed the 7 1/2 ton allowance, they removed motorcycle entitlement entirely. Not even a moped. But I can still drive a tractor😁 and an invalid carriage.

It's not gonna make me loose sleep and I certainly don't intend getting on a motorcycle any longer but it goes to show that the DVLA are deliberately confusing us all.

Don't take for granted what you may have had, it disappears into the ether.

Regards

Pete

I still have my red books. I always checked to ensure the DVLA didn't remove anything. Turning 70 this year, and not wanting to go through the medical as I was pending a heart bypass, I did the online renew and have forgone my c+e and my minibus rating. Cover for up to 50cc as a full licence and 125 with CBT and L plates.

When I was instructing, I did contemplate going direct entry for a bigger bike. Purely to give me a better perspective on the roads.

At the time they were revising the whole system, and it was not financially viable as I would never have bought a bike for my own use.

DVLA are just out to make money these days.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pete Robin said:

It's all got a bit confusing these days.

Passed my test in 1980 having previously no need to drive for some years. On the old paper style licence it had the usual classes etc. and also stated that I could drive 7 1/2 ton truck. Whoopee. Happy Days etc. Until I renewed my licence the last twice (photocard type). Not only have they removed the 7 1/2 ton allowance, they removed motorcycle entitlement entirely. Not even a moped. But I can still drive a tractor😁 and an invalid carriage.

It's not gonna make me loose sleep and I certainly don't intend getting on a motorcycle any longer but it goes to show that the DVLA are deliberately confusing us all.

Don't take for granted what you may have had, it disappears into the ether.

Regards

Pete

That doesn't sound right. You should still have C1 and D1 entitlements. All car drivers also got B+E added this year as standard, including retrospectively.

Jon

Thanks peeps 😁

Have thought of possibly getting a moped but was confused when trying to understand the categories and their meanings. Possibility of riding a Honda goldwing on L plates appalled me🤣

Looks like I drive a tank though😁😁😁

12 hours ago, Jon Bryon said:

That doesn't sound right. You should still have C1 and D1 entitlements. All car drivers also got B+E added this year as standard, including retrospectively.

Jon

Hi Jon, probably still do. Haven't checked that closely this time. I know still don't have m/cycle but aren't kicking up the fuss to get it reinstated as I'm disabled and won't ever use it. The 7 1/2ton thing was great whilst at work, but the same thing applies here, not gonna use it again.

I can and do drive minibuses for a friend and I have knocked about in 31/2 ton vans etc. for housemoves.

However, what I wanted to do, and didnt do very well, sorry,  was point out that you can't assume cos it's on one licence that it will be there when you renew. It's happened to a few of my friends.

Someone mentioned driving tanks. If'n I remember correctly, don't ya need a special licence category for driving UK roads?

Interesting chat tho chaps, thanks,

Regards,

Pete

Edited by Pete Robin
  • Like 1

I got my full bike licence in 1984. Part 1 of the test was a bit like the modern CBT, but Part 2, the road test, was a bit ridiculous as the examiner wasn't on a bike. He just stood on the kerb and told me to ride around the block a few times, stepping out at one point to signal an emergency stop! 

Still, it was the best thing I ever did, and I've never been without a bike since. I even think it's better than plastic modelling! 😄

• Like 1

On 10/1/2022 at 12:38 PM, Pete Robin said:

Hi Jon, probably still do. Haven't checked that closely this time. I know still don't have m/cycle but aren't kicking up the fuss to get it reinstated as I'm disabled and won't ever use it. The 7 1/2ton thing was great whilst at work, but the same thing applies here, not gonna use it again.

I can and do drive minibuses for a friend and I have knocked about in 31/2 ton vans etc. for housemoves.

However, what I wanted to do, and didnt do very well, sorry,  was point out that you can't assume cos it's on one licence that it will be there when you renew. It's happened to a few of my friends.

Someone mentioned driving tanks. If'n I remember correctly, don't ya need a special licence category for driving UK roads?

Interesting chat tho chaps, thanks,

Regards,

Pete

One of the group of letters on my licence fklnpq covers tracked vehicles which I assume includes tanks🤣🤣

This is wrong  h is for tracked vehicles

Edited by Folkbox1
I was wring

3 hours ago, Folkbox1 said:

One of the group of letters on my licence fklnpq covers tracked vehicles which I assume includes tanks🤣🤣

This is wrong  h is for tracked vehicles

I sincerely hope you get your wish and one of em lets you drive a tank. Mind you, it would be a brave Ecilop person that stands in front of a tank with their hand raised, and then asks to see your licence.😋

The only reason I queried it was an  eons ago TV show where they restored an AFV. The geezer driving had to pass some kind of test, a bit like you have to do to operate machinery on a building site etc. before he was allowed on the road.

Only other way would be to join HM forces and get ALL the entitlements😁 on offer.

Regards,

Pete 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you have any kind of entitlement always check your licence when you get it back from renewal as the DVLA has a history of losing them. Quite a few motorcyclists have lost cat A on renewal with DVLA claiming they never had it, including I saw one Police biker who was none too pleased. There have been cases of people having to retake tests.

Like @IanC I took mine in the days of the examiner watching you drive around a couple of local roads. 

On 10/1/2022 at 8:18 PM, IanC said:

I got my full bike licence in 1984. Part 1 of the test was a bit like the modern CBT, but Part 2, the road test, was a bit ridiculous as the examiner wasn't on a bike. He just stood on the kerb and told me to ride around the block a few times, stepping out at one point to signal an emergency stop! 

Still, it was the best thing I ever did, and I've never been without a bike since. I even think it's better than plastic modelling! 😄

I did that test - in 1980.  Even missing a turn.   The examiner pulled me up, and said "You missed a turn, should have come out of that entrance back there - but you're doing alright so we'll carry on."

Continued with a right-hand circuit, and PASSED first time.

• Like 2