The 'Maus' that roared. Porsche's Panzerkampfwagen VIII Maus 1/35

I'm an aircraft guy mostly, but I found this monster quite interesting. Porsche's PzkFw VIII 'Maus' (one of two completed by the end of the war)

This is Dragon's 1/35 kit with Eduards photo etch set, with minor detailing, but mostly out of box.

Hope you like ...

1a34681u

Image6

1a35397u1

Image10

Image11

Image8 Image12

The paint job gave me fits, but the sheer size made it a must!

Image13

Thanks for looking,

Colin

• Like 43
  • Thanks 1

Beast is right, the stats on this thing were ridiculous!  At 188 tons, it could not be transported by truck, rail (except on a specially designed railroad carriage) or any other means, and it would burn 920 gallons of precious fuel to travel 99 miles at 12 mph.!  (that's 9.3 gallons per mile)

Weight

188 metric tons

Fuel capacity

2,700 l (590 imp gal; 710 U.S. gal) (internal fuel tank)

1,500 l (330 imp gal; 400 U.S. gal) (external fuel tank)

Operational range

160 km (99 mi) (road)

62 km (39 mi) (off road)

Maximum speed

20 km/h (12 mph) (maximum)

18 km/h (11 mph) (average road speed)

Nicely done.  It is an imposing beast.  But entirely impractical..........

Hobby 2000 have just released a re-box of this Dragon Maus kit, which has been OOP under the Dragon brand for a while.  Under £40: I've seen as cheap as £34 here in the UK (Jumblies).   Less than half the price of the Trumpeter offering.........

spacer.png

• Like 3

On 07/10/2022 at 16:49, Kingsman said:

Nicely done.  It is an imposing beast.  But entirely impractical..........

Hobby 2000 have just released a re-box of this Dragon Maus kit, which has been OOP under the Dragon brand for a while.  Under £40: I've seen as cheap as £34 here in the UK (Jumblies).   Less than half the price of the Trumpeter offering.........

spacer.png

It's actually a rebox of the Takom kit

Really?  Then it's extremely good value at sub-£40.  The guy in my local model shop told me it was the Dragon kit inside and I took that at face value, especially for the price.  Should have looked at Scalemates!  Or realised that other Hobby 2000 offerings have been Takom re-boxes.  Is Hobby 2000 becoming what Cyber Hobby used to be to Dragon?

Takom have just released a "Mauschen" conjectural "production" version.  Along with 2 more mega Paper Panzers, VK100 Mamut and VK168.   The latter being essentially a projected 2nd generation Maus.  If you like that sort of thing.......

11 hours ago, Kingsman said:

Takom have just released a "Mauschen" conjectural "production" version.  Along with 2 more mega Paper Panzers, VK100 Mamut and VK168.   The latter being essentially a projected 2nd generation Maus.  If you like that sort of thing.......

The VK 100 Mammut, VK 168 & Mauschen are all early developmental stages of the Maus. The Mammut was the initial concept design, the VK 168 & Mauschen are later designs that are the same except that the VK 168 has the turret mounted at the front & the Mauschen has the turret placed in the rear of the hull.

The names uses for these new kits are a bit of a fictional mishmash invented for the computer game World of Tanks so players can more easily tell them apart. Which due to it's popularity has motivated Takom to release them as model kits. The first name comes from a British intelligence report about the Maus were a POW incorrectly named it the Mammut. The name Mauschen has only been found mentioned once in a memo report by Porsche. The initial army request for a new heavy tank was given the designation VK 100.01 but this was never used the during development of the the Maus, the name VK 168 is fictional & based on the estimated weight of the Maus at that point in it's development. Historically all of these new kits should really be called "Maus" or somewhat more accurately:

Porsche Typ 205 Drawing No.K3381

Porsche Typ 205 Drawing No.K3384

Porsche Typ 205 Drawing No.K3385

But that's probably a bit of a mouthful 😛

3 hours ago, LeeM said:

Nice job. I wonder how quick they could have gotten in it. The sides look very slippery with no foot holes.

There was a ladder that could be attached to the sides, IIRC there is an after-market PE set of the ladder available.

1591559396_mausussr19-9db85d765233dca749

Edited by Mig Eater
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Mig Eater said:

The VK 100 Mammut, VK 168 & Mauschen are all early developmental stages of the Maus. The Mammut was the initial concept design, the VK 168 & Mauschen are later designs that are the same except that the VK 168 has the turret mounted at the front & the Mauschen has the turret placed in the rear of the hull.

The names uses for these new kits are a bit of a fictional mishmash invented for the computer game World of Tanks so players can more easily tell them apart. Which due to it's popularity has motivated Takom to release them as model kits. The first name comes from a British intelligence report about the Maus were a POW incorrectly named it the Mammut. The name Mauschen has only been found mentioned once in a memo report by Porsche. The initial army request for a new heavy tank was given the designation VK 100.01 but this was never used the during development of the the Maus, the name VK 168 is fictional & based on the estimated weight of the Maus at that point in it's development. Historically all of these new kits should really be called "Maus" or somewhat more accurately:

There was a ladder that could be attached to the sides, IIRC there is an after-market PE set of the ladder available.

Yes, that's the Eduard photo etch ladder on my 'Maus'. The set also comes with grills and other assorted bits.

spacer.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mig Eater said:

The ladder looks more of an after thought. If not taken off for combat I wonder how long it would have lasted. Looks like only place it could be stowed is the roof of the turret.

On 09/10/2022 at 02:36, Kingsman said:

Really?  Then it's extremely good value at sub-£40.  The guy in my local model shop told me it was the Dragon kit inside and I took that at face value, especially for the price.  Should have looked at Scalemates!  Or realised that other Hobby 2000 offerings have been Takom re-boxes.  Is Hobby 2000 becoming what Cyber Hobby used to be to Dragon?

I've just pulled the wallet out and purchased the Hobby 2000 one from Hannants as I already had got the new Vk100

01 Mammut from Takom.

Looks gvfm. Definitely ex-takom as the PE has Takom on it.