Prototype. Surprise Entry, the Saunders-Roe ‘Squirt’. ###Finished###

My entry in the prototype category is Xtrakits Saunders-Roe SR.A/1. A jet propelled flying boat fighter.

SARO Squirt

This was a surprise announcement/release last weekend. It is a subject that has always interested me so I. The postie just delivered and it is going straight on to the bench.

Initial impression, it is a big aircraft.

SARO Squirt

In addition to the plastic, the kit includes some etch, a mask set and some 3D printed decals for the cockpit.

Looking forward to start this one.

Edited by Jb65rams
Title updated
  • Like 23

On 29/09/2022 at 23:00, Col. said:

I suspect many of us are now watching your progress and treating it as a live review build before we purchase our own copies of the kit ;) 

No pressure then!

@Sabrejet has also started a WIP in the aircraft section. He has some nice reference photos in his thread.

Made a small start, there a number of injector pins that need dealing with.

SR Squirt

I have discovered a few errors/omissions in the instructions. They don’t show the installation on the engine compressor fans into the inlet.

SR Squirt

SR Squirt

• Like 15

Made some progress, with the sub assemblies.

SARO Squirt

Taking @Sabrejet advice, definitely worth fitting the engineer nozzles into the fuselage before closing it up. Could be me but I struggled to get a good fit.

Those looking closely at the above photo will notice that the instrument panel is missing. I didn’t until I was packing up for the day. Spent best part of an hour looking for it, finally found on the floor underneath my chair, Luckily I hadn’t run it over.

Decided to assemble the cockpit before I loose anything else.

SARO Squirt
  • Like 16

Nice progress JB and good idea to fit the instrument panel after finding it - bigger assemblies are harder to overlook than small components :coolio:

Everything looks to have gone together well JB. Was about to say 'ship-shape' but forethought it. It certainly was a big machine for a single seat fighter design when seen in comparison to a three seat torpedo bomber!

Out of the paint shop, used Humbrol aluminium from a rattle can.

SARO Squirt

An hour later all 14 decals added. Seen here sitting on the reverse of the box which features a seascape.

SARO Squirt

The kit comes with beaching gear, decided not to use this, so knocked up a simple stand from some scrape.

SARO Squirt

With that I am calling this finished. A fun build.

SARO Squirt

• Like 23