1/700 Kriegsmarine ships

Time to finally start showing some of my older complete models.

Ever since i can remember i was facinated with WWII warships of all sorts, but i couldn't ever really find enough material related to them.

And since there weren't any real model-shops/hobby-stores near me, Kits of them where something you wouldn't really run into, beyond some Basic Revell stuff.

But, a little over 7 years ago i got into World of warships (this one even before it was fully released) (and yes, i have played it actively ever since then to this very day) and shortly after, my almost... true love... for WWII and WWI warships began.

Trough the game, and the "Naval Legends" documentaries they made, i was able to get the pointers i needed to start expanding my knowledge in this area properly.

And expand i have, to a point where i think ive perhaps spent a little too much time reading into this stuff.

Needless to say, i think WWI and WWII warships are possibly the most beautiful and magnificent of all human creations. Almost like unique pieces of art, with almost every ship being in someway special. And they also have a lot of history/stories attached to em.

And with that, you can imagine that there are... ahem... a few... ships that i would love to create as models :whistle:.

So, in a very short amount of time i got myself a small fleets worth of 1/700 ships. I think it's pretty-much perfect for me, as they are still pretty small, but they include all the major details as separate bits, like AA guns, torpedo launchers, lifeboats and such.

Essentially the perfect way to create a large fleet of model ships.

With the amount of ships, i thought id split these up based on the nations that operated these ships.

With most of these 1/700 ships, i decided not to put any primer and the bare plastic acts as the ships gray color.

So that means these are all hand painted and they are also all "out of the box"

For these German ships, i created a matching semi fictional color scheme, including a black bow and stern. Something quick and simple to liven them up and also something that isn't too out of place.

I also added some weathering on these as i got an opportunity to show these off to some fellow modellers when the model shop in my hometown was having it's first "birthday".

So, here is the fleet so far in one group

w1CVo4K.jpg

And here they are on their own.

89bKVrp.jpg

That little U-boat is one of the first times ive really played around with PE stuff, and i gotta say, it's not terrible, but there is room for improvement.

But, needles to say, without it, it would have looked way too plain, so i had to give it a go.

It also didn't exactly help that that boat is tiny.

vtYQvMg.jpg

And those are indeed 1/72 scale figures.

There was another boat in the box, but despite my all-nighter, i didn't have enough time to complete it.

YbOkCEE.jpg

Lkj0y9q.jpg

IU2GOjs.jpg

PThuOyn.jpg

VfktOQp.jpg

V4OivUt.jpg

VbuAPqp.jpg

odbHP89.jpg

And there you have it.

I will definitely be adding to this fleet someday, but for now, im still suffering from a small burnout after my initial boom of maritime modelling.

Edited by kapteenipirk
  • Like 18

1 hour ago, kapteenipirk said:

I will definitely be adding to this fleet someday

Gidday, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing them. Are you just into German ships or will you be doing ships of other navies too?

These you've done look great. The 1/700 scale is good in that they don't take up a lot of space when done, but I prefer 1/600 myself, partly because it's what I started with and partly the slightly larger size I find easier. But not the range of ships available, unfortunately. Oh well  .   .   .

As I said, I'm looking forward to seeing more from you. Regards, Jeff.

Superb models, Arnold. I built the Scharnhorst last year, and the detail is very good for this scale, considering when these kits were first released. Thanks for sharing..

👍

32 minutes ago, Starfighter said:

Superb models, Arnold.

Thanks, but, err, they're not mine. They're the work of @kapteenipirk (unless his first name is Arnold). But I agree with you, they are superb. And he's done two of my favorite German WW2 ships, the Scharnhorst and Prinz Eugen.        Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

Great stuff. its fun to use 1/700 to build your own navy - i.e. you have to build a balanced fleet. Each model presents a unit (battleships/carriers) a cruiser squadron or a destroyer flotilla. If you use PE then it doubles the number of ships in the class. So if you want to add to your battle line, you have to get a flotilla of destroyers and a cruiser or two to balance it out. Right now I'm short of ASW...

19 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing them. Are you just into German ships or will you be doing ships of other navies too?

These you've done look great. The 1/700 scale is good in that they don't take up a lot of space when done, but I prefer 1/600 myself, partly because it's what I started with and partly the slightly larger size I find easier. But not the range of ships available, unfortunately. Oh well  .   .   .

As I said, I'm looking forward to seeing more from you. Regards, Jeff.

Thanks.

I love pretty-much every and any warships from the WWI and WWII period, so there will be plenty of ships of other nations showing up as-well. In different scales too.

12 hours ago, Starfighter said:

Superb models, Arnold. I built the Scharnhorst last year, and the detail is very good for this scale, considering when these kits were first released. Thanks for sharing..

👍

...Arnold...:hmmm:  But thanks. the kit is certainly lovely for something from the 70's. (plus, the price i got it for, is 1/4 of what the Trumpeter one costs)

18 minutes ago, TallBlondJohn said:

Great stuff. its fun to use 1/700 to build your own navy - i.e. you have to build a balanced fleet. Each model presents a unit (battleships/carriers) a cruiser squadron or a destroyer flotilla. If you use PE then it doubles the number of ships in the class. So if you want to add to your battle line, you have to get a flotilla of destroyers and a cruiser or two to balance it out. Right now I'm short of ASW...

Thanks.

If only Trumpeter or some other company could make a 1/700 Königsberg...

BjmbkTM.jpg

...or even the Emden.

JOC6Ocg.jpg

Thankfully the Graf Spee is available and a bunch of destroyers and submarines. Couldn't hurt to throw in a Graf Zeppelin there too... and good buy to my money... :lol:

But yeah, it would be nice to create a full on fleet at-least with one nations ships. Will just have to see what ships are available and what makes sense. A squadron of US "standard" battleships perhaps, or a US Carrier squadron... so many possibilities...

• Like 2

If only Trumpeter or some other company could make a 1/700 Königsberg...

I'd like to do one of these but in 1/600 scale. The layout of the aft turrets was unique AFAIK.

And some US and IJN ships too.        Regards, Jeff

12 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

I'd like to do one of these but in 1/600 scale. The layout of the aft turrets was unique AFAIK.

And some US and IJN ships too.        Regards, Jeff

It was certainly unique, but not exactly popular/practical it seems, since they already dropped it in the succeeding Nurnberg.

• Like 1

It was certainly unique, but not exactly popular/practical it seems, since they already dropped it in the succeeding Nurnberg.

Gidday, actually these three ships were followed by Leipzig, then Nurnberg, these two being a bit larger than the three K class. I've been told that the reason for the staggered aft turrets was because of the available space for the magazines was restricted by the amount of space required for the machinery. This wasn't quite so critical in the following two ships hence centre-line aft turrets on those two. I like to have a bit of variety in the display cabinet which is why I'd like to do a K class rather than either Leipzig or Nurnberg. The uniqueness of the aft turrets.

Further to my response about SMS Derfflinger in your RN thread, I think this class of battlecruiser was the best looking German ship of WW1 (Scharnhorst being the winner in WW2). I am also fond of SMS Seydlitz. She wasn't quite as good looking but was involved in more action during  the war and was Adm Hipper's flagship for much of it. And she took an absolute hammering at Jutland, yet survived it. I'd like to do models of both ships.

The variety in the display cabinet is also a consideration for me when I consider what camo schemes to paint. Dazzle camo schemes can slow down a build I find but I think they are worth it when complete. Just my opinion of course.

Regards, Jeff.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/30/2022 at 5:55 PM, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, actually these three ships were followed by Leipzig, then Nurnberg, these two being a bit larger than the three K class. I've been told that the reason for the staggered aft turrets was because of the available space for the magazines was restricted by the amount of space required for the machinery. This wasn't quite so critical in the following two ships hence centre-line aft turrets on those two. I like to have a bit of variety in the display cabinet which is why I'd like to do a K class rather than either Leipzig or Nurnberg. The uniqueness of the aft turrets.

Further to my response about SMS Derfflinger in your RN thread, I think this class of battlecruiser was the best looking German ship of WW1 (Scharnhorst being the winner in WW2). I am also fond of SMS Seydlitz. She wasn't quite as good looking but was involved in more action during  the war and was Adm Hipper's flagship for much of it. And she took an absolute hammering at Jutland, yet survived it. I'd like to do models of both ships.

The variety in the display cabinet is also a consideration for me when I consider what camo schemes to paint. Dazzle camo schemes can slow down a build I find but I think they are worth it when complete. Just my opinion of course.

Regards, Jeff.

Same class of ship, so close enough :P. I always believed it was just to improve the aiming angles of the aft turrets, tough that only works one way. While aiming with two turrets might be safer, bringing all guns to bare :mg: means exposing even more of the ship. But who knows...

The Derfflinger sure is nice and the Seydlitz is also on my list of ships to get some day.

As for my favorite German WWI ship... i dunno... but it may just be this...

zHxFzLo.jpg

Just so many ships i want to build and too little time and money to do so :waiting:... oh well, i suppose it's good to have too long a list of things to do than too little :lol:.

Speaking of list of ideas, if it wasn't too long before, it will be now...

jkzxU3H.jpg

Picked these up at a flea market the other day.

Now to find reference material to half of them and begin 3D-modelling/printing them... See you in about 200 years... :clif:

• 2 months later...
On 1/16/2023 at 10:35 PM, bissyboat said:

Great fleet. There´s plenty of room for more warships. Nice work. 👍

There certainly is ;). Thanks.