Gliding.

Paul J

I have not been to the gliding club lately but last weekend there was a very unfortunate incident that led to the field and club being totally shut down.  Sadly a failed launch occured resulting in a fatality to the pilot . NO further details can be mentioned.   I wasn't there so cannot add any more.

• Sad 2

Without saying too much as I would like to respect the privacy of the individuals concerned, I personally know one of the family members who is part of my club and was close with the pilot who sadly lost his life. 

Although I and most of my club's members never met the pilot involved, he has helped our club directly in the past couple of years. From what I have heard of him, he sounded like a kind and fun individual, a real loss to the gliding world, his family and his friends who will be sorely missed by many. 

I would say blue skies and fly high, but for a glider pilot I feel nicely scattered cumulus clouds and strong thermals is more appropriate. 

• Sad 1

I heard of this yesterday Paul, Adam.  Very sad indeed.  The gentleman concerned was a good friend of one of our members.

Aviation can be so very unforgiving;  such wonderful sights and experiences but always demanding our care and respect in exchange.   

John B

I've lost  several friends and acquaintances in flying accidents. I also saw a fatal accident. In fact I  flew a 'missing man' flypast for one. 

You  never get used to it.  RIP to the man concerned. 

• 10 months later...

Over the last couple weeks  I  have been progressing and have been having some further instruction. Last week it was stall practice. Good grief, I had forgotten the experience. It was like one of those death-defying roller coaster drops! Today, I had a very nice 30 minutes thermalinng. Going round and round and round

. . You get the picture. 15 minutes of it with yours truly at the controls. 

I'm really enjoying this.

By the way I nearly forgot to mention , our brand new tug arrived today.  A  Eurofox 140. Smart black and yellow scheme.