Monogram Boeing F4B-4

Way waaaay back at the beginning of the year, we had the Matchbox Classic Groupbuild.   In that GB I built the Matchbox Bowing P-12E.

P12-016.JPG

I vowed that I would built its US Navy equivalent, the Bowing F4B-4, in this GB.   So I'd better get cracking.

spacer.png

• Like 9

It's a very simple kit.  No cockpit, just a pilot figure.  But I think we can forgive it - after all it was first released in 1968.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The decals are totally shot, so I found replacements.

spacer.png

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Enzo Matrix said:

It's a very simple kit.  No cockpit, just a pilot figure.  But I think we can forgive it - after all it was first released in 1968.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The decals are totally shot, so I found replacements.

spacer.png

I keep looking for those decals myself as well as their P-26 sheets. Unfortunately they're out of stock everywhere Ive checked when I have the $ available. Oh well will keep looking and hopefully will find them someday. 

Hi Enzo,

you will enjoy this kit. It has a very reasonable fit for its age and the details are amazing for a sixties' kit.

I am using the same decal sheet. Which option are you going to go for?

Have fun.

JR

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

The one shown on the front of the decal cover. 

Same here!

I am actually quite sad that I haven't found a single picture of this very airframe with the unit emblem, which is rather impressive.

So I will have to pass, unless I do find one with the emblem before completion of the model. Plus the fuselage band is not supposed to have a black border. I will forget about that.

Enjoy!

JR

• Like 1

I neglected to take photos of much of the painting process...   :wall:  :sorry:

I followed my usual process of a clear lacquer pre-primer coat followed by grey plastic primer.  The lower wings and the upper wing undersurfaces were sprayed with aluminium.  The upper wing top surface (and aileron undersurfaces) were prayed with Fiat Broom Yellow.   All of these were car paint from rattle cans. 

After that, I sprayed the fuselage light grey, using Lifecolor UA-563 FS36622 camouflage grey.

Then came the masking...   It's a tiny model and the masking is quite fiddly... :frantic: 

spacer.png

But I persevered.  The section bands are Lifecolor LC-10 while the Willow Green tail surfaces (indicating USS Ranger) are Lifecolor UA-146.

spacer.png

• Like 3

Hi Enzo,

this is a fast build, and it looks good so far.

All you have to do is put all these pieces together and all will be well.

The inside of the Townend ring and the protection plate in front of the engine should be painted blue as well, if it is not already done.

Great show.

JR

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, jean said:

The inside of the Townend ring and the protection plate in front of the engine should be painted blue as well, if it is not already done.

The Townend ring is already mounted on the engine with the interior in aluminium.   It's going to be a bit difficult to repaint it so I'll just live with it.   The engine protection plate can easily be repainted.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 10

19 hours ago, jean said:

The inside of the Townend ring and the protection plate in front of the engine should be painted blue

As far as I'm informed the inside of the cowling was US Navy Aircraft Gray as all metal parts on the F4B, including the underside of the ailerons.

Great progress, Enzo!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Toryu said:

As far as I'm informed the inside of the cowling was US Navy Aircraft Gray as all metal parts on the F4B, including the underside of the ailerons.

Hi Toryu,

re the Townend ring, I have seen photos where aircraft having only half the engine protection plate painted displayed an inside half of the ring painted as well. So I have assumed that in a section leader plane the whole of the ring inner circumference should have to be painted as well.

Some units, like VF-3, never painted the ring, be it inside and outside. The protection plate though, was painted as per Navy instructions. Prerogative of command? I am not sure.

The underside of the ailerons has always baffled me: some people say the ailerons' underside is bright yellow. Some photos show a potentially different hue than the wing underside, some other photos don't. In doubt, I paint the whole underside silver.

Interesting points, but I refuse to stress about.

Have fun!

JR

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Enzo,

this is a beautiful duo! I have the P-12 Matchbox as well, but I will give it a miss at the mo: I need something definitely bigger to work on.

Your F4B-4 is looking splendid. Congrats!!

JR

• Thanks 1