Vampnom

No.112 in my (probably doomed) attempt to build one of every De Havilland design, this model was one of my first efforts on returning to the hobby a few years ago after a 40+ year sabbatical. Presented by a friend with a box of random incomplete Frog Vampire and Venom bits to help boost my non-existent spares box, it looked like there was enough there to try a mash-up and build something complete. This is the result.

A DH112 Venom F.B. single seater is just a Vampire fuselage with Venom wings, right? Well, nearly, as I found out.

y4mwCAeBfdaVFWKCuZHcRnaxGIpW75pHt_35sdaZ

y4mTId6OmzsMnAxOhiA1ZWNhrcyrfyg3f8ZFF-RS

y4mkIVEF4J_qfNX6_pFr25SUy0QGkAeeYUvmVwa4

y4mq9v-Yy4nKgaixNfabbS8It_PGpBv57BJp8L88

Well.... the Vampire fuselage had to be lengthened at the back, and the wing roots reshaped to accept the Venom wings, but it all went together quite well, though I believe there is now a modern kit with which these soggy old Frogs couldn't compete. 

Home-produced decals and some not-so invisible mending where the tail-booms got broken a few years ago got it finished

• Like 19

2 hours ago, Samuraiwarrior said:

A nice bit of kit bashing

Thanks Kevin, brought up in the '60s building kits and conversions following the Alan W Hall method in Airfix Magazine, I am a sucker for a good kit-bash!  In fact, I not long ago finished a two-into-one-does-go project on here under 'Moth Major Minor Mods' - or something like that. I hadn't realised the similarities till reading your kind words.

• Thanks 1

POSTSCRIPT: I've just picked up this month's Scale Aircraft Modeller and there's a review and build of AcsGB's ( from Hannant's) new Venom in Swiss AF markings - at first I thoght it had to be 1/48 scale, but no, its 1/72!  The kit looks marvellous. I hope its 'reassuringly expensive' (like the beer) otherwise I may have to buy one. I even have the decals ready to reprise G-GONE.

And no, I wont mind doing the same subject again - everyone always thinks the next one will be better anyway.

• Haha 1