Alconbury 527th F-5E Aggressor

Here's my 1/72 representation inspired by a fellow Britmodeller "Old Viper Tester" who posted probably some of the finest 527th photos on these forums a few years ago.

Built for the Northrop F-5 group build. Always loved the look of the F-5 & it's many variants, just wish I had enough time to build a few more, but just the one for now.

Northrop F-5E 527th Aggressor Sqn RAF Alconbury 1987 74-1532

Hobbyboss 1/72 F-5E - after realising the differences between an A & an E!

With some cutting & reversing I used the red & yellow two & three bort numbers from the Hobbyboss kit.

I also scavenged serial numbers from an old Italeri F-5E decal sheet & the Heller 527th decal sheet with some stencils also from each.

The main stars & bars were from the Superscale 72-479 black stencil sheet. I had to use artistic licence to turn the other letters into the low viz stencil font.

Paints were from Vallejo & Ammo Mig, & Vallejo Metal Color for the exhausts.

A Mig enamel panel wash was used but realised it was a tad too dark so proceeded to go over that with a lighter wash.

Almost forgot...Minor adjustments were;

Used the windscreen from the Rob Taurus vacform canopy.

Cut & put the nose gear into it's fully extended position, also had to face the scizzor link facing forward using scrap plastic for the links. Used a Molotow chrome pen for the stansion.

Drilled out the gun ports & used brass tubing.

Pilot managed to escape from box of spare discarded pilots.

That's enough waffle. Here's the pics....

52389598584_d11b1f8020_h.jpg

52388369667_1b5e3c7a4b_h.jpg

52389598534_d59401489c_h.jpg

52389537428_1696e95d42_h.jpg

52389537413_a9b8977f23_h.jpg

52389598499_4466de60d8_h.jpg

52389291661_676747bf1f_h.jpg

52389598479_70bac8137b_h.jpg

52389537338_ee32e2d9ab_h.jpg

52388369517_8d895a3f03_h.jpg

52389718805_3548f6e8f9_h.jpg

52389537278_c6a2b576b1_h.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Martin

• Like 44

34 minutes ago, speedy said:

why would the nose gear be extended?.

To increase the angle of attack during takeoff, thereby reducing the amount of runway needed. Our NF-5A's had a similar system (hike / dehike), as did the Phantom FG.1.

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hook said:

To increase the angle of attack during takeoff, thereby reducing the amount of runway needed. Our NF-5A's had a similar system (hike / dehike), as did the Phantom FG.1.

Cheers,

Andre

Cheers I get the principle but never knew a land base aircraft did that!.

• Like 1

That's a stunner! I built several of these HB kits a few years ago and for around £6 they are an absolute bargain. OK..they are not the most detailed and the shape is slightly out somewhere but with a great paint job and some additional work here and there it can be turned into a really great model. The extended nosewheel is a very clever touch and makes it look spot on to the real thing. Love the 'ghost' scheme...very nice indeed. Brings back happy memories of seeing these in real life back in the day 👍👍😁

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Another great build Martin, glad it made the finish line, I know how finicky you can be.

Stuart

Cheers Stuart! Yes incredibly finicky, at least it hasn't taken 6 years like my Thunderstreaks!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, binbrook87 said:

That's a stunner! I built several of these HB kits a few years ago and for around £6 they are an absolute bargain. OK..they are not the most detailed and the shape is slightly out somewhere but with a great paint job and some additional work here and there it can be turned into a really great model. The extended nosewheel is a very clever touch and makes it look spot on to the real thing. Love the 'ghost' scheme...very nice indeed. Brings back happy memories of seeing these in real life back in the day 👍👍😁

Many thanks mate!

9 hours ago, Samuraiwarrior said:

Hi Martin, 

That is a great F-5, the paint job is outstanding. 

Thanks for sharing 

Kevin 

7 hours ago, F-32 said:

You've captured the look very well, nicely done

Many thanks chaps!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Hi

Fantastic build would you be able to let me know the paint numbers that you used for this version as I am going to be doing the same as a project. I will be building the 1/48 Italeri version. I am going to be creating the RAF Alconbury gate guard and wanted to get the colours right. 
Thanks in advance 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DaveVilla said:

Hi

Fantastic build would you be able to let me know the paint numbers that you used for this version as I am going to be doing the same as a project. I will be building the 1/48 Italeri version. I am going to be creating the RAF Alconbury gate guard and wanted to get the colours right. 
Thanks in advance 

I'll have to get back to you on that. I was using the FS paint references from the Detail & Scale book on the F-5 Aggressors & I would have used both Ammo MiG & Vallejo equivalents to the FS numbers. I just can't remember off hand what I used.