1/48 GWH F-15C - 45 Years of F-15A/B/C/Ds in Europe - Completed!

theaa2000

Evening All,

Now that my 1/24th diorama is complete (have a look if you want to see how slow I am :D), I can finally start this GB...only 2 months late! I initially planned to build an Aggressor F-15C from the now disbanded 65th Aggressor Squadron in a scheme matching my F-16 from the 64th. However, that scheme requires some careful masking with no masking set that I no of available, and since then the 492nd FS out of Lakenheath painted up a jet to commemorate 45 years for F-15A/B/C/Ds in Europe:

F15-poland.jpg?quality=70&auto=webp&opti

Image courtesy of The War Zone https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/44245/fully-armed-grim-reaper-f-15-eagles-deploy-to-poland-in-response-to-russian-military-build-up

It might be a simple scheme but given the time I have to complete this GB, simple is good - plus TwoBobs have released a decal set: http://www.twobobs.net/contents/en-us/p744_48-277-F-15C-Grim-Reapers-End-of-an-Era.html

I have the well regarded but somewhat difficult to get GWH F-15C and have purchased the Quinta Studios 3d Cockpit decals, KA Models Nozzle Set, Eduard masks and Aires ACES II seat - The GWH kit is the best F-15 in scale but having built the E version a few years ago it does have some issues IMO. The decals aren't my favourite especially the matte finish, the seats lack detail and the actuator arms on the nozzles are a too thick, hence the AM parts.

N2Qosxs.jpg

Construction unsurprisingly begins with the cockpit (just once I'd like to see someone start with the exhausts or something) and the kit parts are quite detailed but the Aires seat is a bit finer, and most importantly it's a good fit in the cockpit with only minor trimming needed. After fitting a full resin cockpit in my EA-6B, I appreciate the good fit here. Also note I have removed the moulded switch/panel detail on the tub in preparation for the Quinta decals

jgzyNmD.jpgno6zZ9V.jpg

The kit parts have some fine detail which would look great with the right painting but I don't have those skills and what I could do doesn't match the decals so it had to go

NgB1u6Q.jpg

And where I've got to tonight - basic cockpit primed in black in preparation for the base colour, detail painting and then the decals. I have started prepping the rear avionics bay pieces but I think there is still a little work to do here as I am considering replacing the plastic handles with metal ones due to the seam line on the kit parts.

FRvBinK.jpg

And that's it so far - hopefully I can keep the momentum up tomorrow night and look to get the cockpit mostly finished. Thanks for looking!

Edited by theaa2000
  • Like 4

20 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Welcome to the build, thats a great choice of markings. 

Thanks for the welcome! Indeed the markings stand out amongst the usual grey jets out of Lakenheath!

11 hours ago, Wings unlevel said:

That’s a tough looking jet!

It is, but you could paint an F-15 in pink and it would still look tough!

Didn't finish the cockpit tonight, but some progress nevertheless. I know the cockpit should be painted in FS36231 Dark Gull Grey but, the only version of that colour I did have was from Mission Models and I prefer lacquers tbh. The other issue is that it doesn't match the Quinta panels very well which seem to be closer to FS36375 based on some test spots I sprayed, so I used that - I figure with weathering and the lack of light in the tub it will be close enough. Once painted, I used some Ammo Ultra glue to fix the Quinta panels - these things are amazing and are almost like cheating :) Once those were dry, I started painting some of the detail with various acrylics. Still some detail painting to do based on images from Reid Airs excellent F-15 Exposed 2nd edition.

QKMCzIq.jpgLfTkask.jpgKShrHfv.jpg

The IP has received the same treatment and looks incredible, though not sure how much will actually be visible once built

voy93BI.jpg

Cheers!

• Like 6

Another couple of productive nights and the cockpit is finished! Since my last post I finished the detail painting of various components in the avionics bay and cockpit, applied a pin wash to highlight some of the subtle detail/relief and weathered the area lightly - I can't imagine this particular jet was allowed to get very dirty once in it's special scheme. Once all the work was done, the cockpit was buttoned up, leaving only the seat... I tried the Quinta belts and, well I couldn't really get them to cooperate. They don't really bend so they were always fighting me trying to glue them down so in the end I had to leave them flat which even after weathering doesn't look great. I know they're not that popular but I much rather the Aires seat had moulded in belts to paint because at least they look the part (and HGW fabric belts are not worth the trouble in this scale!) Still, the belts are small and hopefully everyone will be looking at the markings instead. Once the seat was in place the whole cockpit was mounted into the nose/forward fuselage.

O1imNJk.jpgNLAyKnL.jpg

EDIT: And I've just notice that awful seam line on the part behind the cockpit that needs removing and then the part will probably need repainting.... 

Yb8d0vc.jpgii56Sxr.jpgf92GZf3.jpg

I remember from my F-15E that the nose halves and nose cone fit was merely ok and once again with this, the fit wasn't perfect. One half was slightly bowed so if I pinched the front the back separated so that required some masking tape to hold it while it dried. On the top, there was a step where the nose cone attaches which meant some scraping was needed to reduce it because no such step exists in reality. And finally, as you can see above, there is a seam line at the top where the halves join which will need cleanup - what's really annoying is that the bottom, in the same place is a perfect fit, even though it won't be seen much.

Whilst the glue in the nose set, I started on the fuselage, assembling the intakes and sanding them down, mounting them to the lower fuselage and test fitting the two fuselage halves which again I remember being less than ideal

nuB8OK9.jpg

Still, the fit isn't that bad and when pulled together everything does fit and line up so hopefully shouldn't be too bad - it's starting to look like a proper Eagle now:

oGjUIEd.jpg

Sort of :D

However, before I glue up the fuselage, I need to mount the flaps and I have a problem with them. Well two problems - firstly the GWH instructions suggest they will have a mounting rod protruding which slots into a cut out in the fuselage halves to hold them in place....and it's not there?! I thought I'd sanded it off by accident but even on the piece still on the sprue that I haven't touched there's nothing so I will have to mount it some how - maybe with some brass rod into a drilled hole. Not a big problem but a little strange. More annoying is how thick the flaps are!

GQMK0JI.jpg

I know the image is zoomed in and it's at the back of the plane but those are huge! Especially if you scaled them up, they would look very wrong. What's frustrating is that GWH can make very fine pieces like their 1 piece missiles so how this happened I have no idea. What I do know is that I will be doing a lot of sanding this weekend :(

Thanks for looking and have a good weekend!

Edited by theaa2000
  • Like 5

Thanks @Corsairfoxfouruncle, yeah I'm quite pleased with it, especially given how quick it's gone together. Now I wonder how much will be visible once it's done!

With the cockpit done, it was time to get the fuselage together and start cleaning up the gaps, seamlines and other odd fits issues, starting with the nose:

eassDuk.jpgAsrNpyX.jpg

A bit of black superglue, sanding and some rescribing to restore the panel lines and it looks like it's one piece - still a little bit of work to do restoring rivets.

cyY0na4.jpg

Luckily the bottom only has the one panel line with minimal rivet detail to protect

Unfortunately, there are several areas where the kit has less than perfect fit and I don't know if it's because I've done something wrong here or if it's just the kit. Or may be I've been spoiled by the Tamiya P-38 which was pretty much perfect!

VL1GYvL.jpg

The two fuselage halves didn't quite line up on their own though with some pressure while the glue was drying, I got them as close as possible and have started tidying up the join. Still need to work out how to fill and clean up inside the gun port - any suggestions?

kr5bfpO.jpg

The rear section has an especially poor joint and it doesn't seem like the real plane has anything like this in the same area so this required a lot of filling, scraping and sanding - not the best part of the kit IMO. You can also see the thinned flaps in the image above. I think they look much more in scale.

mSC3GNy.jpgxzLLZgB.jpg

ItWq8v4.jpg

The joint between the nose and main fuselage also required a fair bit of work because again there was a step/gap around it which isn't present on the real thing - also note the quite poor looking vent behind the cockpit - still not sure how I'm going to improve that

DTX7ZRN.jpg

The tail join and the rear fuselage halves have also started to be cleaned up - still some work to do to get a perfectly smooth finish and then comes the rescribing

iYEYb13.jpg

I also filled in the small gaps between the wing and fuselage sections - still need to see what this looks like under a coat of primer

With all that work done (but still plenty of clean up to go), the F-15 looks like this

BmW3FoO.jpgYVST3NO.jpg

At least it looks the part despite all the gaps and seams!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, theaa2000 said:

The joint between the nose and main fuselage also required a fair bit of work because again there was a step/gap around it which isn't present on the real thing

My 1/72 GWH F-15 has the same join/challenges. Elsewhere though it seems better engineered/a better fit than the 1/48 birds. Still, it looks like you’ve really whipped yours into shape!

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Wings unlevel said:

My 1/72 GWH F-15 has the same join/challenges. Elsewhere though it seems better engineered/a better fit than the 1/48 birds. Still, it looks like you’ve really whipped yours into shape!

It's a shame the kit has these issues since GWH can make some excellent kits with very impressive detail. Still, it's not unsurmountable, at least not so far!

I've made a start on the engines/exhausts - GWH provide full length engines which are quite detailed but I can't see a way to display them outside so it seems a little pointless. The other issue as I mentioned at the beginning is the thickness of the connecting arms for the "petals" in the exhaust - they are too big and rather than sit there thinning them down, I opted to replace them. For the first F-15 I built I used an Aires set where the arms were individual pieces... :( If I wanted something that tedious, I would stick with tank tracks :D This time I went with some single piece 3D printed pieces from KA Models, which looked incredible:

gBiJqqM.png

They make some really cool looking sets - http://ka-models.co.kr/

Now to fit these exhausts. The GWH kit uses an insert for the exhaust/turbine blades onto which the petals mounts as four parts, like this:

h8JQ63Y.png

But the KA models pieces don't need the extra length so I trimmed the kit pieces so they were the right length as the rest of the engine to provide a suitably large surface to glue the AM pieces to. I also filled the gap between the two kit parts with styrene strip and plastic putty to provide a completely solid gluing surface - it's probably easier to show a picture

KVOzlVL.jpgyLQtUke.jpg

I also painted the inside white and the compressor and turbine blades with MRP Steel

gatpYA9.jpg

The two engines fit perfectly flush with the fuselage and are also completely flat so the KA Models exhausts should be easy to glue on. Speaking of....

SgTqFSy.jpgOI0TZZO.jpg

These things have to be seen to be believed - they are incredibly detailed and no assembly required!

Cheers!

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Thanks for the link, They do look good and would like to get a set or two in 1/72 if they made them. I only found 1/48 and I cant build an eagle in that scale anymore. 

I think they make 1/72 ones for the Academy F-15s, at least according to Scalemates that is. Also DEF Model do 3D printed 1/72 ones which look similar.

• Thanks 1

Now for the part where everything can go wrong....The CANOPY! 😟

The GWH parts fit pretty well, although the front section overhangs the plastic section whereas on the real plane the two are flush. Nothing a little light sanding won't take care of

KHLPfvn.jpgLXVkEq1.jpg

The other small issue is the small gap at the front caused by the two nose fuselage halves not quite lining up - a little scraping with a scalpel should sort this out. And speaking of scraping, I need to remove the mould line in the cockpit

t71vbBw.jpg

After scraping the seam away the affected area was sanded with progressively finer grades from 600 - 7000, before I used some Novus polishing compounds

jUDsBw7.jpg

qMoWmGI.jpg

Pretty good, but not perfect, so I have dipped the canopy sections in Future and left them to dry overnight. We shall see tomorrow if this has worked!

Cheers

• Like 4

Today was the moment of truth for the main canopy as the Future had dried to a nice sheen with dust particles and no visible scratches, so it was time for paint. I used the Eduard two sided (T-Face as they call it) mask set which fit the kit part well and filled in the middle sections with Tamiya tape before burnishing it with a toothpick around the edges. Then after a black lacquer base on both sides, I used MRP-093 US Dark Mod Grey (FS36176) for the exterior colour. Although I have the AK RC Dark Mod Grey as well, I chose the MRP for this part since it didn't require any mixing and I didn't want to have to play around with thinning ratios just for this part. Once dry, I removed the tape (very nervous moment!!) and fitted the interior parts with Tamiya extra thin quick drying version and now we have this:

KxF7jc0.jpg

4chbrNs.jpg

Canopies have always been a tough step for me but I am pleased with this one - now to put it away somewhere safe away from any dust and overspray. The front section had some dust settle on it whilst drying so I used some Windex to remove the Future and have dipped it again so we shall see tomorrow how that turned out this time

Cheers

• Like 2

I've made some progress this weekend on a few different areas getting the aircraft ready for primer - I'm waiting on the Eduard external PE set to improve a few of the vents, namely the circular one right behind the cockpit on the right - the kit part is a very shallow depression with some faint grill moulding so I'm hoping the PE part will improve that.

The gear has been completed minus the wheels. I masked the nose gear lights with some pre cut circle masks from Maketar (life saving stuff!), then painted the gear LP-11 silver to simulate the silver backing that would be seen the lights. This was followed by MRP white, then a satin coat in preparation for the kit decals. Once the decals had settled, the gear got a satin coat, followed by a dark pin wash. The final step was to paint the hydraulics with Molotow liquid chrome

eqEof4v.jpgNqsOm6c.jpg

ISKDnnE.jpgnHwPYZT.jpg

What I did receive while waiting for the PE is something I've not seen before - a 3d printed boarding ladder from a new (to me) company, LP Models

zXxh38B.jpg

aWcIjZ3.jpgqi9UL8I.jpg

The ladder is provided as a single piece with the supports removed and all most completely cleaned up - no layer lines are visible. Based on references, I gave this a coat of LP-11, followed by chipping fluid. Over this I applied some Vallejo light grey and once dry, chipped it back to reveal the silver. Once I was happy with that, I painted some chipped yellow paint on a few rungs, followed by a satin coat. The ladder then received a dark wash.

rRMO6rD.jpghdt9v5Y.jpgIl42YGm.jpg

I've also fitted the PE and acetate HUD, using X-22 as a glue instead of CA to avoid fogging up the HUD and give some flexibility whilst adjusting the pieces - I have no idea if this will work, but I can hear some thing rattling under the now masked canopy so I can assume it hasn't - I'll try and fix it once the masking comes off.

Hopefully the PE arrives tomorrow and I can fit it and prime it in preparation for paint, and I think that will be it for this coming week as on Thursday I am off on a bucket list trip to the Edwards AFB airshow - been planning this since I found out early this year and the display line up looks very exciting!

Thanks for looking

• Like 3

Since I had the photo tent up to take photos of my finally completed diorama, I took some better photos of the F-15, for no real reason but here they are anyway

1eMvg8G.jpg

Mr Surfacer 1200 Grey is a good colour to camouflage inside a photo tent, in case that info is useful to anybody :D - Also, I've masked off the canopy and hoping it will be enough. I should really run over the joints with some masking fluid but my Humbrol Maskol hsa turned into one large lump, so that's not an option

gqphdSq.jpg

Even incomplete the F-15 makes for an intimidating sight

58pUcVK.jpg

The one piece 3D printed nozzles are incredible - can't wait to get some paint and a wash on them to bring out the detail

Nr07ZE9.jpg

The underside....is definitely a WIP. I added the pylons and filled the gaps, added the main gear doors which are closed unless the gear are deploying/retracting and I sanded down the horizontal stabilisers. It seems that GWH have used a later F-15E (or similar) as a reference for them, but the F-15A-D models had a very different design which used a honeycomb interior as opposed to a composite structure. The composite ones have sealing strips which are the lines seen on the kit. Since they are interchangeable, and the older honeycomb ones aren't produced anymore some of the C/D Eagles have had the later E model stabilisers fitted, though I can't really tell from my references what 86-0172 has fitted when it had this scheme. However, regardless of what it has, the raised detail is way too prominent so I sanded it down till it was almost gone. It's not a very prominent detail but I had the time waiting for the PE so might as well!

I've been thumbing through the Reid Air book and I've spotted a few more details I'd like to add which I'll work on over the next couple of evening before I leave for the US.

Most of the photos of 86-0172 in this scheme show it flying with CATMs (captive air training missiles) rather than live rounds so I had a look through what I had:

7wcxMLV.jpg

The one piece GWH kit parts are amazing - easily the best plastic missiles I have ever seen but they represent live rounds, so some modification would be needed if I went with them. I have some CATM parts from the Tamiya F-16s I've built which require no modification but aren't as nice IMO. 3rd option would be to order some Eduard Brassin missiles which have the correct heads and tails for CATM parts, but that seems like an unnecessary expense. Most of the photos of 86-0172 show it carrying AIM-9Ms, AIM-120Cs, an ACMI pod and 2-3 external tanks so I'll probably go with that layout and leave the AIM-9Xs and Sniper pod for another build (although I do have one photo showing what looks like the front of an AIM-9X so it wouldn't be incorrect).

That's it for tonight, I promise :DCheers!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Time for another update! - Early last week, I received the Eduard PE set to improve some of the grilles/vents around the fuselage. The set comes with PE to improve a lot of areas but I'm not really one for PE - too fiddly and I don't like using CA as it's hard to keep it neat so I tuck with the largest pieces:

tjocOVh.jpg

NOIhI1C.jpg

I primed the pieces to see where the CA hadn't been removed, and start the slow process of cleaning up and making the surface smooth. Once I was happy, I gave the plane a black primer coat, sanded any rough areas smooth and I had to leave it at that because, last Thursday I flew out to California for Aerospace Valley Airshow held at Edwards AFB. I spent 4 ish days out there at the show and spotting/visiting some famous aircraft themed sites and it was incredible! I've uploaded just some of the many photos from the trip here - https://anirudharun.photos/ava22

And here's a sample of what was out there:

DSC_0641.jpg?format=2500w

Any chopper fans out there? The local federal fire fighters were happy for us to come up to the ramp and photograph their birds

DSC_4206.jpg?format=2500w

Making her first, only and last airshow appearance was SOFIA, a modified 747 SP operated by NASA and DLR (German Aerospace Centre) carrying a 20 tonne telescope. She was retired at the end of September, but graced us with a flypast on both show days

DSC_3065.jpg?format=2500w

One for the Top Gun fans - sunrise at Edwards over the Darkstar mock up from the second film

DSC_4108.jpg?format=2500w

And sticking to the GB theme, an F-15B/D operated by NASA which participated in a sonic boom demonstration.

It was a really packed trip so I didn't have any time to get over the jet lag on the way out so it all hit me once I got back so all I've managed since is the start of the panel shading

OX5nD8T.jpgziTV6OE.jpg

18CLsv0.jpg 

I applied a tighter pattern up top with a looser one below, partly since it won't be seen and partly because sun fading would be less pronounced underneath. Unfortunately I've spotted a couple of rough areas I need to take care of now before committing to paint, but I'm hoping to have the base colours on during this weekend - wish me luck!

Cheers

• Like 6

19 hours ago, arfa1983 said:

Excellent work on this and great photos from the airshow. Definitely hope you finish this it time because I know it's going to look incredible. 

Me too Arthur! I'm making decent progress so far so fingers crossed. Glad you liked the photos - it wasn't the easiest show to shoot at because of the sun, but I got enough to be happy with.

19 hours ago, Wings unlevel said:

That is some very impressive panel shading! I’ve seen a few clips on YouTube of the Edwards airshow, looks it would have been an incredible experience!

The show itself, in isolation, was decent but combined with the location, access and stuff we saw in the surrounding area it was excellent!

I'm pleased with the panel shading, which I usually do in some form or another but am not always careful to leave enough showing, but this time I was:

PW1Uuep.jpg

Airbrush time! No point to this photo tbh. I use a PS-770 with a 0.18mm needle. Great for detail work, well built etc but not the best to spray a whole F-15 with :D 

Tn5Rlle.jpg

Started with the bottom to get a feel for the paint and work out how much I need to spray to get the shading I wanted. I think the MRP colour is good representation of new Medium Mod Grey (which is ok for this plane which was repainted) but would need lightening for other F-15Cs IMO

kJ6x47e.jpg

With some practice in, I moved to the top and I'm happy with the finish, even though the camo patches will cover a lot of it

dn12gYQ.jpg

Close up of the visible shading - I also realised here I didn't extend the colour back far enough on the top, so I corrected that. And then, it was time to mask off the camo.

ds4CuI0.jpg

I used Mig masking putty which is also sold as science or smart putty in non modelling circles. It's an elastic, fluid like putty that can be places and will stick without a residue (on most paints) and without peeling off paint. Because it's somewhat fluid it will spread once placed so the lines will change somewhat. I used the Twobobs decal info sheets to work out the pattern.

0f0J6va.jpg

Some tape to minimise overspray from my shaky hands :D 

IaOpQFZ.jpg

Dark Mod Grey sprayed and ready to remove the tape and putty

Q0GJZs9.jpg

Not bad, but not an exact representation of the Mod Eagle scheme - The biggest problem is the two thinner areas either side of the speedbrake which need correcting, but I'm not going to go around trying to exactly match the scheme.

D02AnN8.jpg

Corrected!

jFfpv6p.jpg

Tails/rear masked off for the black - looking at references the tails are a little patchy depending on angle so rather than the recommended FS37038 (which I don't have anyway) I used a few different MRP shades like ANA and Night Camo black

M5e8BJS.jpg

u9VKflZ.jpg

Tails and radome done - the radome was done with FS36118 which is the F-15E colour and is an ok match for references but not exact.

And that's where I'll stop for tonight. Tomorrow I will paint the leading edges of the tails which are Dark Mod Grey, then mask off the rear again for the metal areas.

Cheers

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, theaa2000 said:

Great for detail work, well built etc but not the best to spray a whole F-15 with :D 

Especially in 1/48! It was certainly effective with your shading. Now all the painting is largely done I have to say this looks superb.

• Thanks 1

Thank you! I'm pleased with painting so far - really captures the Mod Eagle look on the Lakenheath birds.

Today I've completed the remainder of the painting, starting with the Dark Mod leading edges on the tails - the Twobobs diagrams suggest that the edges are this colour so I went with that. Then it was time to mask off the metal areas.

ZWM3YLP.jpg

I used LP-1 thinned with Tamiya lacquer thinner with retarder to get the ideal glossy surface for metallics

8eFuK8g.jpg

Over this I sprayed MRP Steel & Titanium with the aim of achieving the burnt metal look later with weathering

JRxPCCb.jpg

djSOfaJ.jpg

With the basic painting done, my next step was a gloss coat - I've tried a lot of different gloss coats on models, but for the last few I've stuck with Tamiya X-22 mixed 50:50 with Mr Color SLT, and sprayed through through a larger airbrush (0.3mm) at 15-20 psi. This was a method written up by another modeller on LSP and the results he showed were far and away the best I'd ever seen. So, I've used this mix regularly on my last few aircraft builds to prep for decals. I even pre-mixed when I was building my P-38 but I guess the mixture doesn't last

OehxM1k.jpg

That's not Clear Orange or a sign I should drink more water either :D But thankfully I haven't seen this yellowing once on the model - in fact once fully dry, it's probably the most durable gloss finish I've used

pRqAdFM.jpg

ig7JsGi.jpg

So I mixed up a new batch and sprayed the top, sides of the nose and tails. The key to a good finish and minimising dust is to spray perpendicular to the surface. I'm going to set it aside for a day or so now while I work on the gear doors, speedbrake and other parts.

Cheers

• Like 3

Yeah it's a really strange reaction since neither X-22 or Mr Color SLT go yellow on their own, and they don't yellow once sprayed so no idea why they do it when mixed - I guess the solution is to build more than one plane every year and I won't have this problem.

With the gloss coat dry completely, not just to the touch, I've started on the decals - most of them are still drying so I'll take more photos tomorrow, but here's a sneak peak:

5Fd4nYV.jpgOZMagwA.jpg

The registration, printing and clarity of the Twobobs decals are excellent as they should be since Cartograf have printed them. With the help of some Mr Mark Softer Neo they have settled into the surface detail perfectly - even the finest rivets are visible through them so when it comes to applying a panel line wash there shouldn't be any odd gaps.

On to the home stretch now I hope!

• Like 3