Avro 707 baby Vulcan quintuple build

The Avro 707 was designed as a one-third scale research aircraft to test the delta planform of the Avro Vulcan bomber. It first flew in September 1949 and commenced low-speed stability and control trials after being on static display at the Farnborough Air Display. After only a few flights, the prototype crashed on the 30th September. The longer fuselage 707B was next to fly followed by the 707A (two built) and then the two-seat 707C. Today both of the 707As and the 707C survive in museums.

The Avro 707 family were originally produced as part of the Project-X range of vacforms in the 1990s and were subsequently re-issued with some additional parts by Whirlybird. In both cases the decals were mostly the Press-Fix type which have caused me many problems in the past as they tend to shrink and crack after a couple of years on the model.

For this build I'll be doing all five of the 707s - one of the two 707As tested the extended/kinked wing as used on the Vulcan. I only managed to get one 707A kit but did get a second 707C which has the same vacform parts, except for the canopy, so will be using that. Some of the canopies have yellowed so I'll need to do something about them.

The parts for the short-lived 707 prototype,

xaWLieez_o.jpg

The 707B

ioP60TBp_o.jpg

The 707A with extra parts for the later wing

KT5CCzrm_o.jpg

The 707C

6WomqsK6_o.jpg

The new decals I've drawn and printed with the kit decals below

GseeDfuh_o.jpg

Cutting the vacform parts out shouldn't take very long and then I can get on with building.

Steve

• Like 25

Great project! Hope you do a diorama for WD280 for when it spent its time in a suburban Melbourne backyard! https://www.airforce.gov.au/sites/default/files/minisite/static/7522/RAAFmuseum/exhibitions/b_scenes/avro.htm

I’ve fond memories as a kid peering over the fence to look at it.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for the encouragement.

On 27/09/2022 at 23:11, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Well this will be interesting and colorful, looks like the “B” comes in a very nice blue. Would that be a variation of PRU or another blue ? 

There don't seem to be many colour photos of the B and the shade of blue varies a lot in them probably due to the old film. I think the actual shade lies between these two.

th?id=OIP.KzD0ZIe5RE55FvKSyXmt2gHaFL%26pth?id=OIP.GBWjXDdYdzjQgd2rN3p9sgEsDS%26p

On 28/09/2022 at 11:58, Wings unlevel said:

Great project! Hope you do a diorama for WD280 for when it spent its time in a suburban Melbourne backyard! https://www.airforce.gov.au/sites/default/files/minisite/static/7522/RAAFmuseum/exhibitions/b_scenes/avro.htm

I’ve fond memories as a kid peering over the fence to look at it.

Unfortunately no plans for the diorama! I'm glad it survived the 30 years in the garden before being preserved, unlikely to happen over here due to the weather and locals objecting..... 

On 29/09/2022 at 20:54, Mike N said:

Great choice of subjects. So many triangles...

Mike 

Lots more triangles to go yet! I suppose I'll have to get around to the big white one to go with them as well!

On 29/09/2022 at 22:51, Shorty84 said:

Wow, five vacform builds at once. Seems you are not afraid of a challenge ;)

Cheers

Markus

Luckily there's not many parts to each one so the builds should be quick. I've certainly built more difficult kits than these.

I decided to start with the first 707 and then the 707B as they need more work than the other three due to the dorsal intakes. Progress has been pretty swift so far.

The first one almost ready to be glued together.

m7xH1io8_o.jpg

The second one at the same stage - didn't need so much weight in this one due to the longer fuselage.
KSqe9frN_o.jpg

I've since cut out and rubbed down the first 707A so it won't be far behind these two. I'll need to cut out the wing root intakes and fit the resin parts but this should be easier than fitting the dorsal intakes.

Thanks for looking.

Steve

• Like 13

49 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Thanks, looks to be a darker shade than PRU ? But could be the lighting and film as you say. 

It’s non standard shade used on a few prototypes in the early post war era, so recommend op finds a blue he likes to match a particular photograph. Watching along, could never contemplate a vacuform kit let alone 4 at once myself 

• Thanks 1

On 03/10/2022 at 21:52, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Thanks, looks to be a darker shade than PRU ? But could be the lighting and film as you say. 

PRU blue is a very strange shade and looks very different depending on the lighting. My feeling is the true shade for the 707B is closer to that seen in the photo of the three 707's as posted by Whirly.

On 03/10/2022 at 22:41, bigbadbadge said:

A very interesting project, great start.  

Chris

Cheers, I've wanted to do the 707 family for a very long time.

On 03/10/2022 at 22:44, PhantomBigStu said:

It’s non standard shade used on a few prototypes in the early post war era, so recommend op finds a blue he likes to match a particular photograph. Watching along, could never contemplate a vacuform kit let alone 4 at once myself 

Pretty sure I am going to use a shade close to the Canberra prototype and Midge. Only 4 vacforms at a time! - Good job I'm doing 5 then..... Vacforms aren't difficult only different, often the only way of getting a kit of so many types.

On 04/10/2022 at 16:44, Whirly said:

Even more shades of blue  😉:

1434659658128.webp

The quality of the colour in the first photo is so poor I wouldn't trust it at all. The second photo seems much closer to me to the true colours of all three 707s - trouble is the only one we can still compare with the real thing is the orange one and that looks different depending on the light conditions!

Progress - the first 707

zNuGdHL1_o.jpg

And the 707B (with a sneak preview of the first 707A nose)

2KC66QJa_o.jpg

Steve

• Like 9

I always enjoy taking a sheet of plastic with a few bumps in it and seeing it turn into a recognsable 3D shape. I will be putting a seat in the cockpits but not a lot else as it's all painted black inside and not much will be seen through the tiny windows. I've never seen the point of spending hours adding details that will never be visible - too many other kits in the stash to be getting on with!

Steve

• Like 2

The first 'A' is coming together, I think the resin intakes will be "fun" to fit.....

W4UQhmoU_o.jpg

The second 'A' will have the cranked Vulcan style wing.

Steve

• Like 7

Tidy work so far Steve and I agree with your philosophy on such highly enclosed cockpits.

I also need to stop looking at your signature GIF slideshow as it's giving me inspiration and that only leads to stash swell :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys, not had much time to work on these recently but managed to get a bit further.

On 09/10/2022 at 08:36, Col. said:

Tidy work so far Steve and I agree with your philosophy on such highly enclosed cockpits.

I also need to stop looking at your signature GIF slideshow as it's giving me inspiration and that only leads to stash swell :wacko:

I keep looking at the slidsehow and thinking "I must do that one soon...." One the positive side there are only about 20 types to do, but I've just noticed Concorde is missing!

On 09/10/2022 at 10:08, dromia said:

Any recommendations for reference books on the 707?

I don't know of any books dedicated to the Avro 707 family but most Vulcan books cover them fairly well. The Aerofax Vulcan probably has the best photo coverage and  British Experimental Jet Aircraft, 1941-86 by Barrie Hygate has 1/72 three views and technical descriptions

The first three have been primed and a few problem areas filled. The second 707A needs the filler rubbing down and the 707C is ready to be glued together.

QznIzi5c_o.jpg
IdoUeG3e_o.jpg
GifUGWnE_o.jpg

Once the filler has been rubbed down I'll get all five primed and then add the seats and canopies.

Steve

• Like 6

The family look to be coming together well Steve :) 

15 hours ago, BritJet said:

I keep looking at the slidsehow and thinking "I must do that one soon...." One the positive side there are only about 20 types to do, but I've just noticed Concorde is missing!

The ever-growing list :lol:

On 23/10/2022 at 09:36, Col. said:

The family look to be coming together well Steve :) 

The ever-growing list :lol:

Cheers, I have got to the stage now where I'm building more than I'm buying but there's still a lot in the stash to get through...

Progress, filler rubbed down on all of them

dVkpKRE3_o.jpg
WUA2y8F7_o.jpg
zMWvVFoT_o.jpg
X8dXGSx8_o.jpg
pPzgKFNh_o.jpg

After a quick spray of primer we have the Avro 707 display team!

qBfQbl7X_o.jpg

There are few minor things to tidy up and some re-scribing to do before the next stage.

Steve

• Like 13

19 hours ago, BritJet said:

After a quick spray of primer we have the Avro 707 display team!

qBfQbl7X_o.jpg

That's a cool formation. Red Arrows could learn a thing from them :D 

• Haha 1