Task Group 317.8 - The Air Component

06/24

“…nasty, brutish and short…”

Thomas Hobbes 1651

“The Empire Strikes Back”

Newsweek magazine cover 19 April 1982

“I'm not allowed to say how many planes joined the raid, but I counted them all out and I counted them all back.”

Brian Hanrahan

I was 12 when the Falklands War broke out. Like most people in the UK, I had never heard of the Falklands, let alone have any idea where they were. Political Diatribe Removed

When the Argentine Junta made its fateful decision to invade, they set in train a series of outstanding acts, as Britain shook off its lethargy and proceeded, with great skill, dash, bravery and more than a little luck, to wage a war 8000 miles from home waters.

The task group was the bleeding edge of that war, and the men and machines fascinated me at 12, and still do today. I remember the returning ships, although time has dimmed those memories, and now, as an adult, remember the lives lost with respect.

Lots of waffle 06/24, how about some plastic butchery?

This project began as a spin off of my Cold War whatiffery, realising that the force that retook the Falklands was an all arms effort that utilised many of my favourite old bits of kit (indeed, with hindsight, is probably why they are favourites). I could therefore make double use of much of what I had acquired.

However, if there is an iconic British weapon of the war, then it must be the mighty Shar, the Sea Harrier FRS.1 so I set about building one. Consensus seems to be that the Esci/Italeri (also once released by Airfix!) is the most accurate, albeit a kit first tooled in 1983 or thereabouts. I’ve set to, but am grafting in bits of Airfix Sea Harrier where I think they add a little more detail.

52388339318_3647935dfe_b.jpgTask Force 317.8 by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

52388403419_6eab0a29e1_b.jpgTask Force 317.8 by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 2

• 06/24 changed the title to Task Group 317.8 - The Air Component
  • 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, 06/24 said:

does anyone know what weapons fit would go with the RN 2” rocket pods? Adens?,

Just the rocket pods on the outboard pylons; drop tanks on the inboard pylons and Aden gunpods; I think the centreline pylon would be clean.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

The Airfix gun pods (from the GR.3, not the weird bulbous things from the SHAR) are a surprisingly good fit on the Esci/Italeri/Old Airfix fuselage.

52417420392_fc92eb2e04_b.jpg1/72 Italeri/Airfix Harrier by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

Haven’t decided if I’m using the Esci original drop tanks or the set from the GR.3 yet, they are broadly the same (Needless to say the Airfix new  SHAR tanks aren’t…)

• Like 1

I need to decide which airframe the Shar will be. At the moment I’m leaning toward XZ455 as that was the one that made a pit stop on Fearless. However I don’t have suitable decals (only source I know of in 1/72 is the Xtradecal sheet which seems to have vanished from Hannants website) and the aircraft which landed on Intrepid was ZA177 which I think has featured on more decal sets.

mid_000000.jpg?action=e&cat=Photographs THE FALKLANDS CONFLICT, APRIL - JUNE 1982. © Crown copyright. IWM (FKD 199) IWM Non Commercial License

mid_000000.jpg?action=e&cat=Photographs THE FALKLANDS CONFLICT, APRIL - JUNE 1982. © Crown copyright. IWM (FKD 83) IWM Non Commercial License

I do have another Ita/Esci/Airfix in the stash from the Airfix 25th anniversary set, so maybe I’ll do both, if I can get hold of suitable stickers.

Meanwhile, I’ve made a gentle start on a GR.3 which I’m hoping to build to represent XZ989/Red 07 after its “hard landing” at San Carlos FOB

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/55553 ) again I’m using the Esci/Italeri as the base as I’m hoping this will make representing the chopped nose easier. As the aircraft lost the main part of the canopy during the crash, I felt the cockpit needed something better than my home brew I used in the Shar, so I used the CMK set, which, despite being designed for the Airfix version fitted the Italeri cockpit with only minor fettling.

52437271546_8067c3b91c_b.jpgHarrier GR.3 by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

52437549824_5f54cf94c9_b.jpgHarrier GR.3 by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

52437792563_e27deae301_b.jpgHarrier GR.3 by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

The set comes with a nice MB9 bang seat too.

• Like 1

They're coming along very nicely, Jon. Next in the to read pile is Sharky Wards book. First read years ago so It's time for another delve into those days.

I was doing my Puma course at Westlands when they set sail. :poppy:

• Like 1