SMER 1/72 Potez 540

woody37

• 2 weeks later...

That's a fantastic job. I did the same kit for the French Fancy GB a while back and mine's nowhere near as good. I like what you've done around the engines especially.

• Like 1

Hi Neil,

first let me rock the boat by stating that I really love this plane!! It was the best and most beautiful grand tourism plane ever built before the war. Not convinced about its fighting qualities, but you could really enjoy the countryside during the flights.

And your build really does it justice. It is absolutely beautiful.

The only detail I am not too sure about, is that it may have been painted in pre-war vert "emaillite" instead of khaki.

That niggle notwithstanding, please accept my congratulations.

JR

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2022 at 2:44 PM, jean said:

Hi Neil,

first let me rock the boat by stating that I really love this plane!! It was the best and most beautiful grand tourism plane ever built before the war. Not convinced about its fighting qualities, but you could really enjoy the countryside during the flights.

And your build really does it justice. It is absolutely beautiful.

The only detail I am not too sure about, is that it may have been painted in pre-war vert "emaillite" instead of khaki.

That niggle notwithstanding, please accept my congratulations.

JR

Hi Jean,

You may be right, I was left with an inconclusive decision from a few hours of internet searching, I'd love to find out for sure on this!

Thanks

13 hours ago, Fritag said:

2 weeks!  Dunno how you did it, Neil.  And with no drop-off in quality, neither.  Luvverly.

Me neither, just about squeezed it in to one PM's reign although it was close 🤣

• Haha 1

Nearly missed this one, glad I found it!.

Beautiful job as usual Neil, and I thoroughly agree with your liking for between the wars oddities, especially French ones. I really like the way that the engines hang on struts, gives it loads of charachter.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

A belated congrats on a build of a difficult kit due to its age, fit, and a somewhat suspicious design as to how parts should fit together.  You overcame the kit's letdowns, it is a SMER after all, and it is a beauty.  The interwar aircraft that was produced, especially when changing over from biplane to monoplane, have so many different directions on what was thought was going to work out as a superior design.  And you have to hand it to SMER, they did produce some unique and interesting kits that no one else has ever touched.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, georgeusa said:

And you have to hand it to SMER, they did produce some unique and interesting kits that no one else has ever touched.

To be more accurate, the kit was originally produced by Heller. Still is, actually. I have a recent Heller Musée box in the stash. Smer repop it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...