SMER 1/72 Potez 540

woody37

21 hours ago, Dave Slowbuild said:

That really doesn’t look like a kit from 1967!  Fantastic build Neil.

The khaki finish is outstanding- could have been a bit boring but is actually really alive.  Lovely.

Dave

Thanks Dave, I find single colour aircraft challenging to make look interesting, so try to break it up with the weathering and tonal variations

20 hours ago, Pete in a shed said:

Fabulous model. An inspiring build Neil, just goes to show what can be done with the older moulds when in the hands of an experienced and skilled modeller.

Pete

Thanks Pete. If you'd of seen me trying to fit those wings, 'skilled modeller' certainly didn't fit the description, fumbling baboon was more the reality 🤣

19 hours ago, Roman Schilhart said:

An incredibly ugly aircraft, but an excellent model!

The only area where the kit shows it's age is the clear parts (especially the nose turret).

I agree, it's ugliness is what makes it appealing! Didn't you do a camouflaged transport version? A lovely build and the scheme really made it special.

8 hours ago, Tentacles said:

Very nice - I really like the simple base also. 

I keep thinking about buying one of these, but struts are so bad for my blood pressure...

Ha ha, me too. What made fitting these hard was the fact that the wing wouldn't support itself until at least one was in place but there are no location pins. In hindsight, drilling and fitting some brass rod pins on the wing end of the struts would of helped and any fettling could have been done at the other end of the strut where there is an indentation in the nacelle to stop it slipping.

Thanks for the kind comments, it's not the most elegant aircraft in my collection 🤣

On 27/09/2022 at 14:18, woody37 said:

A record finish I think, less than 2 weeks to turn this round! It's the SMER kit that I believe was first released by Heller back in 1967! Despite its age, it's not a bad little kit, the only issue I had was a short shot front turret. Fitting the wings and getting the struts aligned was best described as a pig! I may replace the gun barrels for something more to scale, but I wanted to do this as a mojo restorer and as the start of a collection of mid war unusual yet strangely attractive French aircraft. It was primed in MRP green and painted in what I believe to be French Khaki of which I mixed Tamiya XF49 Khaki with XF5 green in a 2:1 ratio. I also experimented with the Uschi Trinity Splatter weathering templates that @Fuad used on a recent build that I forgot I had in the drawer! I've kept it subtle but added some mud splashing underneath as I suspect the mudguards didn't fully protect it. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking

Neil

Well done.

Alain

Always glad to see one of these Heller gems built, and even more so when built and finished as superbly as this. Nice work indeed!

Despite their age, these old Heller French bomber types are still very nice kits. This Potez and the Bloch 210 are particularly good kits for their age. While it may not be the prettiest aircraft out there, it is interesting to look at and something different from what we normally see, and that certainly appeals to me. Hence the reason I have a stash full of ugly French inter war designs!

@JOCKNEY This thread has encourage me to pull the couple of Potez 540s out of my stash. I reckon we should both give them a go. Have to agree with you though. Mine won't come out anywhere as nice as Neil's build either!

Steve

• Like 2