Revell 1/48 P-39 Airacobra

Hey Britmodeller,

I thought I'd share some photos of my most recent project. It's Revell's venerable boxing of their quarter-scale P-39, rescribed. I added some TD wheels, rebuilt the gun pod barrels using some styrene rod and the spinner cannon shroud using some styrene tube. The national markings are from the spares box, the serial and nose art are the kit's decals. Painting was done using AK Real Colors and MM enamels. Weathering was done with pastels and Flory washes. I did what I could to shoot some decent photos.

UAdFLc0.jpg

WJyxorT.jpg

925PWih.jpg

A0PjXDK.jpg

0BcCNV7.jpg

3Cf1EUh.jpg

6IIIKN2.jpg

NJdyIXs.jpg

Sa6JaBK.jpg

ceEYVUL.jpg

M7cUeb9.jpg

59mIE5c.jpg

K5RcFff.jpg

VCvneWg.jpg

KMxVd56.jpg

N71aUL8.jpg

8IfYiTA.jpg

X4N5K3z.jpg

Questions, comments and criticisms are welcome. Thanks for lookin'!

-O

Edited by oortiz10
Underside photos added
  • Like 50
  • Thanks 1

Hey BritMod, thanks for the pats on the back! This is Revell's offering which was originally released by Monogram back in the 1970s, if not earlier. I rescribed the panel lines simply because I lost a lot of the raised detail while trying to get the doors and panels glued shut. I figured, for the sake of continuity, that I'd rescribe the whole airframe. I currently don't have any underside photos, but I imagine I could snap one of two when I'm home later. As far as the yellow prop tips are concerned, I ran across many wartime photos of Airacobras, from different theaters and operators, without painted tips. 

Thanks again for the kudos! I appreciate the feedback.

Cheers,

-O

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

...May we have an underside pic?

Ask and ye shall receive. I added a couple of underside pics to the original post.

Cheers!

-OO

• Thanks 1

One of the true gems from Monogram's glory days.

It might be an old kit, but it's a solid representation of the subject and even after the Eduard super kits of the P-39 came out, I saw it hold its own in shows against them.

You've shown what a worthy built that kit still is.