British Pipe Colour Codes

Crimea River

Hi all. Does anyone have or know of an AP or other document defining pipe colour codes for British WW2 aircraft? I have documentation for a Mosquito showing, apparently, white for hydraulic lines, red for fuel, and blue/yellow/blue for the ASI system. The pipes were identified by coloured tape bands near the end of each pipe.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Thanks for the quick response guys. The Air ministry chart in the link above confirms some that I have and also fills some gaps. It's missing the narrow blue/yellow/blue for the ASI system that I have called up on some of my Mosquito info though.

I'm going from memory here as I no longer have the book but I've a feeling there may have been a brief overview in Bruce Robertson's "Aviation Archaeology: A Collector's Guide to Aeronautical Relics" published in 1977. 

Hello,

I could not find the list, but fortunately BS_w already posted it. I am not sure if it is relevant, but when wreckage of Spitfire Mk.IX MJ116 had been cataloged, I do not recall colour bands on the pipes, we only found manufacturer's, AM and inspection stamps and labels with number codes. Quick browse through photos, taken during that process, showed only one pipe leading from compressor with something resembling yellow band. Cheers

Jure

• Thanks 1

Thanks Jure. The Mosquito that I'm helping to restore has evidence of colour coded bands on the pipes but many appear to have been rubbed off. Typically they are applied within 2 inches of the pipe ends but many of thee pipes have threaded couplings that can chafe on the bands creating damage if not outright eradication.