2023 Classic Groupbuilds

We have two slots allocated for Classic groupbuilds in 2023.  These are slightly longer than a standard GB.

This year we have only had one proposal for a Classic GB - @JOCKNEY 's Japanese Kits GB.  This has now gained enough votes for the Bunfight, but I am proposing to give it one of the Classic slots.

We are awaiting a proposal for the second classic slot.  Given that in the past couple of years we have had Heller, Airfix, Matchbox, Revell and Monogram, these are not eligible for 2023.

I think I viable option would be an Italian Kits Classic GB.  This would give us the choice of building Esci, Itaeri, Supermodel, Tauro...    Do you remember when Italeri was Italaerei?   Or even Aliplast?

What do you think?

• Like 4

Found it.  I was from last year.  https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235088911-the-italian-job-classic-gb/

Don't know if @JOCKNEY would want to run 2 classics back to back though.  I know they can be a massive undertaking.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, helios16v said:

Don't know if @JOCKNEY would want to run 2 classics back to back though.  I know they can be a massive undertaking.  

I'm sure that there will be someone who would be willing.  And it doesn't have to be a solo job.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, helios16v said:

Found it.  I was from last year.  https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235088911-the-italian-job-classic-gb/

I'm up for it if I can get some help from the usual suspects :like:

It will limit my participation in other GBs but I don't want to let anyone down :fingerscrossed:

Cheers Pat

• Like 2

I would support such a GB,  whether I'm available to provide any meaningful help would depend upon whether I'm actually working in (ironically), Italy or at home.

If I'm at home, count me in!

• Like 1

May I throw in a wildcard. What about SMER or PM both have been going since the seventies.….

Or even Mistercraft who are going since 2001 so scrape the technical definition of classic I.e. more than 20 years old.

Edited by Marklo

• 2 weeks later...

The situation has changed slightly.  Well... not the situation, but my understanding of it.

The FROG Squad II GB gained sufficient votes to go into the bunfight.  I initially thought it wasn't eligible due to the three year rule.  However, that's because time flys when your having fun.  FROG Squad I took place in 2019. 

So that means that Classic Japanese and FROG Squad II were proposed and gained votes in the usual way.  Classic Italian was just my suggestion.   It hasn't been formally proposed yet.

If someone can propose it and get sufficient votes between now and the end of October, we can have a Classic Bunfight.  Otherwise the Classics for 2023 will be Classic Japanese and FROG Squad II. 

• Like 4

Oh I'm so confused, and not just by Britmodeller. But in this haven of comparative calm, I was sure I'd signed up for a classic Italeri GB for next year and that in turn had been broadened to include Esci, to make a Classic Italian GB

It probably had some catchy title like The Italian Job but no way can I find any trace of it now🤪

You are quite right.  I've been looking back through the archives and cannot find any reason why it wasn't included in the calendar for this year.

So...   there are two options:

• Classic Bunfight - three candidates for two slots
  • I take one of the empty STGB slots, do a little GB voodoo and convert it to a Classic slot.  We have three Classic next year

What does the BMGB Massiv say? 

20 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

Oh I'm so confused, and not just by Britmodeller. But in this haven of comparative calm, I was sure I'd signed up for a classic Italeri GB for next year and that in turn had been broadened to include Esci, to make a Classic Italian GB

It probably had some catchy title like The Italian Job but no way can I find any trace of it now🤪

18 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

Found it! (first time I've ever found anything)

Should've known that @JOCKNEY would be in the mix😁

You are quite right.  I've been looking back through the archives and cannot find any reason why it wasn't included in the calendar for this year.

So...   there are two options:

• Classic Bunfight - three candidates for two slots
  • I take one of the empty STGB slots, do a little GB voodoo and convert it to a Classic slot.  We have three Classics next year

What does the BMGB Massiv say? 

• Like 2

My recent track record isn't the greatest but I throw in my :2c: anyway. The classic GB:s last nowadays 5 months per piece and slamming three of them in one GB year would either overlap them with eachother or stretch one of them to 2024 anyway. Thus, I support status quo which means having only two classics per year. They become even on this 3 year cycle quickly too repetitive. I wouldn't mind thinning down the number of STGB:s either, just because they do suffer from repetitiveness. Compared with fresh, unrestricting and virgin GB subjects these Mustang/Spitfire/Phantom/Bf109/youknowhatever STGB #7:s just don't deserve the same treatment. On the other hand, or better yet third hand, it'd be good to have a calendar slot vacant for not-so-long-planned, carpe diem group builds whose idea and importance pop-up due sudden things in real world, requiring immediate execution or they'd soon be outdated. Also, some GB:s based on historical dates and anniversaries should come outside the Bunfight too. The end.

V-P

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

Also, some GB:s based on historical dates and anniversaries should come outside the Bunfight too.

That does actually happen.  I can issue an executive order for subjects of historical importance.   I have done it for the Platinum Jubilee GB this year and also for the NATO anniversary GB in 2024.

• Like 1

Just now, Enzo Matrix said:

That does actually happen.  I can issue an executive order for subjects of historical importance.   I have done it for the Platinum Jubilee GB this year and also for the NATO anniversary GB in 2024.

I know and appreciate that a lot, thanks :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I think having three Classic GBs would be too many.  Better to stick with just two.

As an alternative to having a Classic Bunfight, how about simply having 'first come, first served'?

The order in which the current three Classic contenders qualified (i.e. got 30 votes) was:

1. Italian (18th June 2021)
  2. Japanese (21st August 2021)
  3. FROG (22nd May 2022)

It would seem fair therefore that Italian and Japanese should take the two 2023 slots and FROG should take the first 2024 slot.

I'm not sure whether the bunfight concept really applies to the Classic GBs, as one of the bunfight's purposes is to sort the wheat from the chaff (i.e. the losers are exiled and banned from participating again).  I'm assuming that there's no intention to 'exile' any of the current three Classic contenders - we're simply trying to decide the order in which they should run. 

Going forward, if we're fixing the concept of two Classic GBs per year, then available slots could be allocated immediately a new Classic GB qualifies.

Edited by CliffB
Correcting the qualification dates
  • Like 5

I apologise for being the cause of all this angst over which classic GB goes forward and when (guilty your honour :sorry:)

I honestly don't mind which goes forward, however I agree 3 would be too many :frantic: leading to a danger of lots of unfinished builds and feeling like none of them had been done properly. 

Either way it looks like I'm going to be a busy boy !

Cheers Pat

• Like 5