Sword 1/72 Grumman F9F-8T/TF-9J Cougar.

hsr

Here is my build of the Sword 1/72 Grumman F9F-8T, (later redesignated TF-9J), Cougar. The TF-9J was the US Navy Advanced trainer until replaced by the Douglas TA-4J Skyhawk. This was what I have become used to as the usual Sword short run kit featuring poor fit, plenty of flash and mediocre instructions. Sword did 2 boxings of this kit; one with markings for the Marine Headquarters and Maintenance Squadron 13 (H&MS-13) in Viet Nam. and the other had markings for training squadrons. I wanted the training version, but it is impossible to find. So I picked up the H&MS boxing, the Caracal TF-9J decal sheet (CD72059), with the trainer marking and downloaded the Sword instructions for the training version. I also used seat belts from a random Eduard set. As is typical with Sword the plastic in the 2 boxings, with one exception, was identical. The one exception was that the training version gives you a choice of a 1 piece or 2 piece canopy while the H&MS one only had the 2 piece windscreen and canopy. It also had an additional weapons sprue. 2 resin seats came with both versions. 

While annoying, the fit issues were nothing that a little, OK a lot, of filler and sanding couldn't fix and once overcome it was a pleasant 2 week build. The Caracal decals (printed by Cartograf) worked excellently with a minimum of silvering. Their instructions however left a little to be desired as far as what went went where. For example on the tail there is a small "41" decal. On the sheet there are 2 versions of the "41" decal and there is no indication of which set to use. 

So all's well that ends well and I am happy with the results.

u8kHXd2h_o.jpg

b45vgcmZ_o.jpg

X5KcTU5k_o.jpg

7SdKpnFk_o.jpg

UREr3BhB_o.jpg

fR7U4NSb_o.jpg

Next up is another Sword kit. This time their EF-10B.

Enjoy.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1