Dornier 335 A-0 Arrow***FINISHED***

As I mentioned in my other entry, I bought the old Frog 335 kit in about 1974 and later decided to convert it to a single seat version. Having bought a replacement  Frog (Matchbox boxing) kit a while back I never got round to starting the conversion, and instead bought the HobbyBoss version released in 2013. According to Scalemates this is an early A-1 production machine but it is in fact the second A-0 pre-production version currently preserved in the US.

DSC07020

I read previously that there was a problem with the props and that is correct - I think the rear blades are the wrong way round, whilst two of the front ones are ok but the third blade which is the other way round - HB seem to have been also somewhat confused by the fact that the rear engine and prop were of course a pusher! I will have to sort that out but more on that as and when. There is also a problem with the colours it was painted in - HB seem to suggest two greens on the uppers and a "Sky" clone on the unders - perhaps the "mythical" RLM 84 or more likely one of the late war variants of RLM 76. In his Hikoki book on Luftwaffe camo Ullmann has an "official Dornier Works" paint diagram for the A-1 which shows "Dunkelgrun 81" and "Dunkelgrun" 83 uppers and 65 unders, and Merrick expands on this in his book. By the time the 335 was built the "official" instructions were to switch to RLM76 unders once existing supplies of 65 were used up, and as I discussed with Graham several years ago the names paint manufacturers and we modellers use for RLM paints are not always correct as the various manufacturers tended to use their own terminology - particularly I think Dornier. However, when the sole surviving 335 which this kit's decals represent, namely the second pre-production A-0, work number 240102, tail number 102, radio reporting code VG+PH was being restored, the original paint seems to have in fact been a splinter of light and dark green, possibly RLM82 and either a greener version of RLM81 or perhaps RLM 83 over RLM 76 unders. It has been repainted in the perhaps more common interpretations of 81 "Braunviolett" and 82 Hellgrun as we modellers know them, though he does not say if 65 or 76 was used on the undersurfaces. Technically it was I believe a "fighter/bomber" so maybe 65 would be correct though I have my doubts, but being in effect a prototype who knows? Anyway, in this GB I hope to build both the "normal" single seat version and the 2 seat night fighter version of this rather impressive if unorthodox twin engines machine, which perhaps fortunately for the Allies never entered service in any numbers before the war ended, only 11 production A-1 models being manufactured. It was significantly faster and presumably more manoeuvrable than the previous Me 110/410 and in one of his books Pierre Clostermann describes one out-running his Tempest V!

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 10

One to keep an eye on Peter, I've got this kit as well as a Revell re-pop of the Dragon one, the latter will probably get moved on as the HB one, apart from the prop problems, seems to be quite accurate. Freightdog @Colin @ Freightdog Models do/did a correction set for the HB one which I also have. I don't know if they are still available. maybe a wanted call on here might get you one.

Steve.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Col. said:

This will make for an interesting comparison with your FROG kit Pete.

If I still have it, which I doubt. I suspect it was damaged and thrown out when I bought the first replacement, as it seems were my Arado 234's (Frog B and Lindberg B converted to a prototype C using the left over bits from the Frog kit). I suppose I could build my replacement "Revell" ex Frog one as a C for this GB but probably won't.

Later.

I have just found the Frog Arado 234B so I might be able to refurbish it - if so then the "new" kit might turn up in this GB after all, and I have also remembered my replacement Frog Gloster/Whittle prototype and the Vimy kit which started life as the Alcock and Brown one - wonder how many more "forgotten kits" I have in my stash!

Before Enzo says it - spreadsheet😆.

Pete

Edited by PeterB

• PeterB changed the title to Dornier 335 A-0 Arrow

The Freightdog set is still available!

Freightdog 1/72 Dornier Do 335 improvement set - Freightdog Models

Well, crap on a cracker! For some reason, I can't post a useful link to that Freightdog set. Has something changed?

Chris

9 hours ago, dogsbody said:

The Freightdog set is still available!

Freightdog 1/72 Dornier Do 335 improvement set - Freightdog Models

Well, crap on a cracker! For some reason, I can't post a useful like to that Freightdog set. Has something changed?

Chris

Still listed Chris but out of stock on the Freightdog site. Not shown on the Hannants site AFAIK though I suppose other stockists may have it.

Pete

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PeterB said:

Still listed Chris but out of stock on the Freightdog site. Not shown on the Hannants site AFAIK though I suppose other stockists may have it.

Pete

Oh! I didn't notice that yesterday. Getting old sucks!

Chris

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

After a brief and rather enjoyable interlude building small scale AFV's in another GB I thought I might make a start on this as I may have another entry, depending on how the bunfight goes and always assuming I can find the ruddy thing. Anyway I have sorted out the cockpit.

DSC07158-crop

HB provide a floor, rear bulkhead, seat, stick and pedals but no IP so I have knocked one up. There is no mention of weight in the instructions but it clearly needed so, in fact quite a lot so I hope the u/c legs are strong enough!.

DSC07160-crop

I will sort out the seams, add the intakes and then make a start on the paintwork. The boxart seems to show RLM 81/82 over either 65 or 76 which is fine. However the instructions tell you to use Mr Hobby H309 "Forest Green" and H301 "Engine Grey" over H 74 "Light Blue" though the latter is in fact RAF Sky! I know various sources suggest that their either was a Sky like colour tentatively identified as RLM 84 whilst others suggest that this was just one of a number of late war variations on RLM 76 as pigments began to run out - I tend to favour the latter as I doubt RLM 84 ever existed as such.

Now where did I put that Arado 234B/C box?

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 10

Having used the Xtracolour RLM 82 on my Anteater I decided to use the Colourcoats version on my Arrow - similar but less "yellow" or "Apple Green".

DSC07166-crop

As a matter of interest both the old Frog kit and the much later Hobbyboss one have slightly different approaches to the undercarriage as you might expect.

DSC07164-crop

Frog provided rather crude solid support struts whilst HB have rather fragile but more accurate ones in the form of individual struts, and the same applies to the "Jacks" at the top of each leg which Frog just provided a heavy "rod" for whilst HB moulded a proper rather thinner offering - not too visible in the above pic unless you can enlarge it which should be possible.

Pete

• Like 11

Bit of touching up to do but the paintwork is nearly finished.

DSC07231-crop

I suppose now might be a good time to talk about the props! Looked at from the front the DB600 series engines seem to have rotated counter clockwise like the R-R Griffon but unlike the Merlin. On the 335 the front engine was of course a tractor and the rear a pusher and although I cannot vouch for the actual blade shape Frog seem to have got it right on their "Anteater" kit.

DSC07197-crop

Front prop on the right!

However Hobby Boss seem to have become confused - here are their props.

DSC07228-crop

The one on the left of the sprue is supposed to be the rear one but it is in tractor configuration, whilst the front one on the left can't make its mind up - the two blades to the right of the picture are pushers and the one to the left is a tractor! Ok, I should be able swap the props round but I will have to "adjust" the odd blade. Easier to fix I suppose than the missing wheel doors on their early P-40 kit as I don't have to make replacements. Assuming they actually did a test shot and checked it, somebody must have been having an off day! Still it is something for the aftermarket industry to make money out of I guess.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 4

I have made a start with the decs - so far so good. In the past I have found HB decs to be pretty robust but difficult to slide into position as they tend to "stick like :poop:to an Army blanket" as my late father used to say - I presume he learned that characteristic during his time in India during the war!

DSC07252-crop

As you may have noticed in my other Do-335 build in this GB, the fuselage crosses and some of the code letters have to be placed over the rear exhausts, though it is a bit easier on this one without the night shrouds. Frog provided no codes but did print the decs in upper and lower halves, which HB don't. They do however print split code letters where appropriate but with continuous decal film, so both they and the crosses had to be cut up. Other than that they went on OK - the other side will be slightly easier (I hope) as there is no intake to get in the way.

FYI

Over the years the German Air Ministry issued a number of instructions not only regarding paint schemes but also markings such as the Balkenkreuz and Hakenkreuz (swastika). These specified the colours used and the composition eg width or borders, size and placement. In his book of Luftwaffe Camo and Markings Ullmann has a copy of Sammelmitteilung 2 of August 15th 1944 which replaced previous instructions about markings and it makes interesting reading.

“ It is evident that despite various orders concerning simplifications, saving etc. the cross and swastikas are still being applied in their original form. For the Balkankreuz only the angle and for the swastikas either the black part or only the white edging need be painted. On the bright shades of 76 and 21, only the black angles of the Balkankreuz and black swastika, and on the dark shades 72, 73, 75, 81, 82 and 83 only the white angles of the Balkankreuz and the white edging of the swastika.

This regulation also applies to the use of stencils or transfers, where stocks will of course be used up. Future orders will however, be made as above. Shade 77 grey will be substituted for shade 21 for the angles and edging on night camouflage in shade 22 (see L.Dv 521/1 p. 18).

Economy officers' attention will be drawn to this notice.”

You will note there is no mention of 70/71/65 still being in use and they have perhaps overlooked RLM 74!

Frog and HobbyBoss have correctly provided white angle type Balkankreuz for the fuselage and upper wing on the 335 in 81/82 camo, However both provide solid black swastikas though that might just have been correct on the original Frog 74/75/76 camo for their A-6. They also both have provided mid war full black and white Balkankreuz for the undersides of the wings which was wrong – but of course Dornier could have been taking advantage of the let out clause about using up stocks of stencils/transfers. I have postulated that to be the case on the two seater but will try and source some correct black outline ones for this A-0 pre-production variant, and have replaced the swastikas with white outline ones on both models. Many years ago (at least 30 more like 40) I stocked up with proprietary decal sheets of Luftwaffe markings - swastikas, various types of pre/early and mid /late war crosses in black and white for fighters and bombers, and I also bought a sheet of the white outline late war ones. Logically I should also have bought a similar sheet of black outline ones but cannot find it so I am raiding the spares box to try and find something the right size, which is a bit tricky as this falls mid way between large fighter and small bomber in size.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 4

Well, that is now ready to join the two seater in the queue for a finishing spray of flat varnish.

DSC07263-crop

Not exactly pretty but a lot less ugly than the "Anteater"!

In my other build thread on the old Frog kit I mentioned the confusion over the designation and status of the various prototypes etc. This is the only preserved D0 335 in existence and some sources claim it is a production A-1 but in fact it is the second pre-production A-0 aka A-02, Works Number 240102.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 6

Once I get some sun I will take some pics for the gallery. 

DSC07280-crop

Pity about the silvering on the HB decs - even though put over gloss varnish. Time to make a start on my Arado 234C-3 I guess.

Pete

• Like 8

• PeterB changed the title to Dornier 335 A-0 Arrow***FINISHED***

Well, they are both in the gallery now though the sun this lunchtime was a bit weak and with an orange tint as normal for this time of year.

DSC07307-crop

Pete

• Like 5