Prototype/Research: The Slow Way Is the Fast Way - Douglas X-3 Stilletto (1/48, Lindberg)

Hi guys,

this is my entry for this group build, the Lindberg Douglas X-3 Stiletto.

The X-3 was designed for high speed research and was intended to reach speeds up to Mach 2 but also to test low-aspect-ratio wings, and the application of titanium in aircraft structures.
The most prominent aspect of the X-3 was its shape. Being optimized for speed, it was extremely slender with a very long nose and just screamed 'speed', sitting idle on the ramp. Actually, it looked like coming straight out of a science-fiction movie.
Unfortunately, real performance did not match its racy look. The intended engines (Westinghouse J46) never met their thrust requirements, so it was decided to install the much less powerful Westinghouse J34 which were unable to propel the aircraft past Mach 1. The highest ever recorded speed was Mach 1.208 in a dive, well short of the intended goal of Mach 2.

Being severely underpowered and challenging to fly as a result, the X-3 did not enjoy a long career. The construction of a second machine was stopped and after a near-loss on 27 October 1954 due to 'roll inertia coupling', the first prototype made just another ten flights before being retired.
While the X-3 failed to provide the expected aerodynamic data for high-speed flight, it still provided valuable data. The collected data of the small, low-aspect wing were put to good use by Lockheed when designing the F-104 Starfighter.

The kit, first released in the 1950s, is quite typical for its time: Low parts count, no wheel wells, no cockpit (a pilot is supplied tough) and raised (albeit fine) details. Still, the general shapes are sound and additional details will be added using good old scratch building and some aftermarket:

• Complete Cockpit to be added (scratch)
  • New wheel wells to be added (scratch)
  • New main wheels (ResKit TBM Avenger wheels)
  • Intake trunking to be added (scratch)
  • Exhausts to be added (scratch)
  • A lot of other small stuff (rescribing, adding various vents, intakes, ...)
  • Replacement of the original decals from various sources (roundels, logos, ...)

x-3_1tyesc.jpg

x-3_2dhcbr.jpg

Only some very minor work was already done on the kit, so it should not violate the 25% rule.

Quite a few things to do. So I hope all of you will be my guests in this journey 'toward the unknown' :D

Cheers
Markus

• Like 18

Great to see another of the X-planes in our GB :thumbsup:

The same kit exists in my stash Markus so I'll be paying particular attention to your progress and the solutions you create to address its deficiencies.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Col. said:

The same kit exists in my stash Markus so I'll be paying particular attention to your progress and the solutions you create to address its deficiencies.

Then be my guest, I hope I won't disappoint.

20 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

nice option you have with a flying knitting needle. 

Quite a fitting name. Another could be 'The flying veggie mutilator' (admittedly, this is an F-104 wing, but it was based on the X-3 wing design): https://twitter.com/rocketengine/status/1272468281689911298

Cheers

Markus

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Shorty84 said:

Then be my guest, I hope I won't disappoint.

Quite a fitting name. Another could be 'The flying veggie mutilator' (admittedly, this is an F-104 wing, but it was based on the X-3 wing design): https://twitter.com/rocketengine/status/1272468281689911298

Cheers

Markus

Yes the 104 actually had special guards for the leading/trailing edges. This was so ground-crew wouldn't lose fingers, hands, or other appendages. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I've finally done some work on the X-3.

The main wing is a one piece affair which should be inserted from the inside through cutouts in the fuselage halves. Contrary to what one would expect from a kit of this vintage, this assembly method results in no gaps at all.
So I removed all raised surface details (the real wing was as smooth as a baby's b**t) and sanded everything really thin and the leading/trailing edges razor sharp.
x-3_4f8cq1.jpg

Then the outlines of the control surfaces were marked for scribing.
x-3_351cb6.jpg

The exact dimensions for them were provided by this Douglas drawing.
858196Capture0.jpg

Another area which is in dire need of some improvements are the exhausts. As you can see, you see...nothing, except a big void. The plan was to use some tubing to make new exhausts. Before I could do that, I had to sand the openings to a round shape and add some plastic card on the inside to provide the future exhausts with something to attach to.
x-3_539fg0.jpg

Looking for some suitable tubing, I couldn't find anything with the correct diameter. The body of a missile was modified by spreading the two halves with a plastic strip in order to get the needed diameter.
x-3_6eoig2.jpg

Test fit is encouraging.
x-3_7hrdie.jpg

x-3_81bfh9.jpg

And last but not least, the final item for this build arrived. With the kit supplied decals (apart from the fact that their printing quality is nothing to write home about) one cannot represent any of the schemes the real aircraft ever carried correctly as many items are simply missing. I really needed a NACA logo as this was present for most of its lifetime and it was quite surprising for me to find out that all decal sheets featuring them are long OOP.

Finally, Caracal came to my rescue with their P-51H decals which thankfully features a NACA test machine. And since I have a Modelsvit F-51H in my stash too, I needed them anyway 😉
x-3_10awe55.jpg

Cheers
Markus

• Like 11

12 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I do wish someone would print a whole sheet of NACA logo’s in various sizes for multiple types. I have a whole pile of build's Id love to do.

Same for me. The only decal sheet remotely offering such was from Cutting Edge (now OOP of course): http://decals.kitreview.com/decals/ced48236decalreviewrk_1.htm

Otherwise, your only chance is to raid the decals of some kits (X-1, D-558-1, ...). Maybe someone should pitch this idea to Caracal, such a subject could be right down their alley.

• Like 1

I would like to do all the test aircraft in the 1950’s from F-80 to F-94. I have found a number of photo’s of all the aircraft in special schemes. I agree Caracal or Two-bobs, these could be scaled from 1/144 all the way to 1/32. Availability in multiple scales should offset costs ? 

• Like 1

On 10/14/2022 at 8:20 PM, Colin W said:

Fantastic, this is the logic that keeps us all going!

Oh yes. With this kit in the stash and (briefly) considered for the build I now need a decal sheet and a P-51H to use the left-over decals 🤣

Good start there and a set of wheels added to the shopping list too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3