Dornier Do-335 V11 Anteater***FINISHED***

3 hours ago, Col. said:

A simple fix Pete. Or at least simpler than it first seemed :) 

Yes, not too difficult to rectify my senile finger trouble fortunately.

DSC07227-crop

The fit is still not brilliant but better than it was. A bit more work to do perhaps, but getting there. That just leaves the props, pitot tube and radio D/F loop and it is done, but I will put the decs on first, which could be fun.

Pete

Pete

• Like 5

Ok, that's finished except for a coat of flat varnish.

DSC07233-crop

The stammkennzeichen code is home made and was a bit of a fiddle, particularly on the other side where there is an intake above the exhausts. The "11" is from the Hobby Boss sheet, the swastika from a stock sheet and the crosses from the old Frog sheet so quite a mix. I have looked a copy of the original Frog instructions and although they offered both a "production" A-6 nightfighter (which never was produced in fact) and a conversion trainer they only provided the shrouded night exhausts, although as I mentioned before I rather think the trainer had unshrouded ones which would have made the code placement a little easier. The A-0 preproduction version of the A-1 single seater should be finished before long as well.

So that is another stash veteran done.

Pete

Incidentally - I thought this year's KUTA started today - hope @Enzo the Magnificent is not unwell!

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 9

Just to round off the history of the Do 335, like many German aircraft, particularly late war ones, there were a multitude of proposed versions with different engines including a jet at the rear, wider wings (B Series) and perhaps inevitably a twin fuselage "Zwilling" but most of these did not get beyond the drawing board. There were over 20 prototypes intended though not all flew, and initially they were given a Versuchs (Test) number eg V2, but by the time the 10th prototype appeared they were supposedly given a Muster (Machine) number eg M12. There is some confusion about these prototypes and their designation and my 4 sources disagree on some points.

For the record this is the plan from the first Revell reboxing and is the same as the original Frog one.

revell inst-crop

As you can see they provided a 74/75/76 "production" A-6 night fighter and what they call the A-12 two seat conversion trainer in two shades of green, either 81/82 or maybe 82/83 over light blue as captured and flown by the RAF after the war. Eric Brown was quite impressed with it  as for once he found it if anything overpowered unlike just about all the other Luftwaffe planes he flew, though he said it would not have been much good against enemy fighters due to poor manoeuvrability, but it would make a great bomber destroyer with one 30mm and 2 x 20 mm cannon in the nose. The single seat version was claimed to have a top speed of 474 mph though the two seater only did 428 mph. The single seater was flown with the front prop feathered and still managed 348 mph which was most impressive.

When Revell got round to re-hashing it they just gave a night fighter, but although it had the deepened fuselage and rear canopy of the proposed production A-6 they gave markings (less stammkennzeichen code) for the V(M)10 which had the normal single seat fuselage with rearranged fuel tanks to provide a rear cockpit and with a flush glazed hatch. This was flown with Fug 220 aerials and even tried out by an dedicated night fighter test unit but it was decided to delay production so no actual A-6 planes were built.

Pete

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Col. said:

Have to say that proposal with the rear jet engine sounds interesting :hmmm:

That would be the 535 of which there seem to have been two proposed designs - one with a large air intake on top of the rear fuselage and one with two intakes, one at either side of the rear fuselage. There were also 2 twin fuselage proposals, the basic 335Z with normal fuselages and the drastically modified 635 with much lengthened fuselages. Some versions had different DB603 engines and others were to have Jumos, and some of the B versions had extra 30mm cannon in the wings - I remember seeing a conversion to one of the latter either in Airfix Mag or maybe SAM which was I believe why I bought this kit as I wanted a single seat version - then HB released theirs so the conversion never happened.

Pete

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well that's done - just need some sun  so I can get pics for the Gallery.

DSC07283-crop

Not too bad given its age. Quite an enjoyable build once I had remedied my foul-up with the canopies.

Pete

• Like 6

• PeterB changed the title to Dornier Do-335 V11 Anteater***FINISHED***