Revell Halifax Mk.III Prototype R9534 (finished)

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

The collector ring mod has come up very nicely Neil. When Airfix released their Mk II Lanc kit, I bought the whole engine sprue with the idea of using it on my Airfix Halifax when I get around to doing this aircraft too. The Airfix Halifax is noted for being a bit lean in the collector rings too, maybe I could just have done like you have here instead?

Steve.

Hi Steve, you can do that, I did it on my airfix build several years ago, but rather than fit the strip on the front, I fitted it just inside. I'll dig some pics out tomorrow 🙂

• Thanks 1

On 10/18/2022 at 9:23 PM, stevehnz said:

The collector ring mod has come up very nicely Neil. When Airfix released their Mk II Lanc kit, I bought the whole engine sprue with the idea of using it on my Airfix Halifax when I get around to doing this aircraft too. The Airfix Halifax is noted for being a bit lean in the collector rings too, maybe I could just have done like you have here instead?

Steve.

Hi Steve, this is the improvement I did to the Airfix one, just enough to add a lip to the inside

spacer.png

Made some progress over the last few days although one nacelle is fighting back as a bit of the surface keeps lifting so will probably need digging out and refilling.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Main gear legs fitted, I've not painted the wheels yet though

spacer.png

flaps fitted, just the 'no step' decals to fit

spacer.png

the mid upper sits far too high so I sanded the base of the transparency and cut away part of the ring that it sits on using the drawing in the Warpaint booklet as a guide:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'm off to Budapest for a long weekend tomorrow so progress will stall a little but comfortable now that the engine corrections have generally gone well.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Managed to get a bit done after getting back from the trip. Big thanks to @Stew Dapple for kindly posting some Aeroclub metal props. Last week before I was aware of them, I had a play filing one of the props to look more accurate. quite pleased with how it turned out, although getting the blades consistent is pretty difficult, let alone doing it for 12 of them. These pics are an unmodified one and a corrected one to give a sense of the work necessary. The hubs look too small, not sure if that's just my perception though.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The eagle eyed amongst you will notice the masks are now off the clear bits! Hate the reveal in case the interiors are caked in dust and spray! The engines are now done, just awaiting a repaint so hope to get them done Friday.

spacer.png

and the gear doors fitted too:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Hoping to have her done for the weekend :)

Cheers

Neil

• Like 20

12 hours ago, pheonix said:

That certainly looks good. Bet you are pleased with the replacement props - saved all that filing/sanding work!

P

Yes, they aren't here yet, but trying to get the props filed equally wasn't something I was looking forwards to!

15 hours ago, CliffB said:

All looking really good - even the clear bits :winkgrin:

Thanks Cliff, on the whole not come out too bad although there's a few paint marks on the insides and the bulkhead behind the pilot has moved back a bit.

Thanks Chris.

Today, I determined that the front part of the collector rings on the engines should be shorter in proportion to the rear section so it's meant filling the existing recessed lines in so I can rescribe new ones. Why do I do this to myself? 🤣

apart from that little step backwards, it's pretty much finished. got the props painted today that Stew kindly sent so intending to finish the nacelles off tomorrow along with the rest of the subtle weathering. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 21

12 hours ago, woody37 said:

Why do I do this to myself? 🤣

'Cause if it isn't right it isn't right and there's no point doing all that good work to have something you are not satisfied with.

• Like 2

It's finally finished. I didn't manage to do a great deal of modelling this week but got the rigging complete this morning accompanied by a few swear words! 

spacer.png

Despite the shape errors by Revell, I enjoyed the build and taking part in the GB, should do more really as they are great communities within a community!

Cheers

Neil

• Like 19

• woody37 changed the title to Revell Halifax Mk.III Prototype R9534 (finished)
20 hours ago, arfa1983 said:

Very very nice! With models like that,  you should definitely join more GBs!

Thanks Arthur, definitely, it's been fun. I don't even browse this far down normally either other than 'rumourmonger' which is a sin seeing some of the great builds.

11 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Excellent work on this thank you for building it and joining us here in the group build. 

Pleasure mate, looking forwards to seeing some of the others coming along, some great cars in the GB too.

8 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That looks quite wonderful Neil, very inspirational for the day I drag my Airfix kit out of hiding. :)

Steve.

The old kit's still got potential in my opinion when the Falcon canopy set is used. I pulled a Falcon set off a build I did in my early 20's and re-used it several years ago! Here's an artistic shot of it using the filters in Photoshop, I need to get some normal ones uploaded to FlickR as I moved from PB when the originals were taken!

spacer.png

• Like 6

7 hours ago, woody37 said:

The old kit's still got potential

That looks the goods to me, I'd be rapt to get mine looking half that good. I have a Falcon set for it & an Aeroclub nose so half way there already. ;) :D

Steve.