Revell Halifax Mk.III Prototype R9534 (finished)

Dogsbody:   "I believe there was a seat for the engineer in the B.III's but not in the earlier Merlin-powered Hallys."

Ummm ... I'm sure there wasn't one in Yorkshire Aviation Museum's 'Friday the 13th' example - at least not when I went on a walk-through there a while ago.  Yes, I *know* the nose on that one is a modern construction but it struck me, while chatting with some of the 'crew' that they too great care to get it right!

I'll try to dig out my (limited) Halifax references but I can't do so for a while.I don't mean tp confuse the issue, and certainly not any of our fellow BM-ers!

Jonny

• Like 2

On 10/1/2022 at 11:11 PM, Jonny said:

Hello, Neil -

I hope I'm not too late but did I spot a seat in the Engineer's compartment?   I dont think there was one!

If you haven't buttoned the fuselage up, AND *IF* I'm right, dare I suggest you remove the seat?

NOT a criticism, promise!

Jonny

Thanks for raising Jonny, I did question that as I never fitted one in the 1/48 one, certainly no criticism taken and it's not too late as I've not closed it up yet.

On 10/1/2022 at 11:14 PM, dogsbody said:

I believe there was a seat for the engineer in the B.III's but not in the earlier Merlin-powered Hallys.

Chris

I'll look into this Chris before closing it up :)

I've been working on the wings. firstly, the dropped flaps are making progress, still some fettling to do yet, but you get the general idea...

spacer.png

spacer.png

The ailerons on the kit are wrong going off photos of the real thing. There is a significant taper on the kit leading edge that doesn't appear to be visible in reality when in a neutral position so I'll be filling this in. I did it on my previous build though never took adequate photos and can't quite remember the steps I took! I think I used plasticard to fill the bulk of the gap and P38 filler for the rest and did a rescribe. Whilst there is a taper because the lower surface has a longer chord than the upper surface, it is recessed into the slot.

spacer.png

The corrected part on the previous build on the right compared to the unmodified one on the left:

spacer.png

Once everything is complete on the wings, I'll add some rivets too like the ones above.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

I can't stop looking for evidence one way or another whether the Halifax had a dedicated seat for the flight engineer!

I've been searching and found an interesting Web-site:

https://hushkit.net/2021/07/06/the-cricklewood-crippler-part-2-the-unsung-halifax-heavy-bomber-in-12-questions-with-jane-gulliford-lowes/

The site's 'owner', Jane Gulliford Lowes, says she's on "a one-woman mission to rehabilitate the Halifax here in Britain  – I want to educate people on the historical importance and massive contribution that the Halifax made to the war effort".

She goes on to say "Behind the pilot, facing in the opposite direction, is the flight engineer, with his panels of controls, dials and fuel gauges. A drop-down seat is located on the wall of the fuselage just opposite, though in reality a flight engineer was usually kept so busy that he barely had time to sit down once the aircraft had taken off.".  Just before that is a photo showing the flight engineer apparently standing, facing rearwards and presumably monitoring the engine performane.  On the fuselage wall oppodsite him there is the edge what MAY be the drop-down seat referred to above.

Apologies for a thread 'drift'.  This isn't definite proof whether or not there should be a proper seat in the engineer's position, as portrayed in either of the Revell kits.   I'm sorry if I'm just adding more confusion!   In case anyon'e interested, or wondering, there is a 'The Critical Crippler Part 1' site:

https://hushkit.net/2021/07/06/the-cricklewood-crippler-the-halifax-heavy-bomber-in-12-questions-with-jon-lake/

It isn't quite as detailed as Part 2.

Jonny

• Like 2

On 10/3/2022 at 12:01 PM, Jonny said:

I can't stop looking for evidence one way or another whether the Halifax had a dedicated seat for the flight engineer!

I've been searching and found an interesting Web-site:

https://hushkit.net/2021/07/06/the-cricklewood-crippler-part-2-the-unsung-halifax-heavy-bomber-in-12-questions-with-jane-gulliford-lowes/

The site's 'owner', Jane Gulliford Lowes, says she's on "a one-woman mission to rehabilitate the Halifax here in Britain  – I want to educate people on the historical importance and massive contribution that the Halifax made to the war effort".

She goes on to say "Behind the pilot, facing in the opposite direction, is the flight engineer, with his panels of controls, dials and fuel gauges. A drop-down seat is located on the wall of the fuselage just opposite, though in reality a flight engineer was usually kept so busy that he barely had time to sit down once the aircraft had taken off.".  Just before that is a photo showing the flight engineer apparently standing, facing rearwards and presumably monitoring the engine performane.  On the fuselage wall oppodsite him there is the edge what MAY be the drop-down seat referred to above.

Apologies for a thread 'drift'.  This isn't definite proof whether or not there should be a proper seat in the engineer's position, as portrayed in either of the Revell kits.   I'm sorry if I'm just adding more confusion!   In case anyon'e interested, or wondering, there is a 'The Critical Crippler Part 1' site:

https://hushkit.net/2021/07/06/the-cricklewood-crippler-the-halifax-heavy-bomber-in-12-questions-with-jon-lake/

It isn't quite as detailed as Part 2.

Jonny

Hi Jonny,

Funny enough, I came across that webpage too as I was trying to find an answer, but I've decided to remove the seat as there is definitely a drop down seat next to the pilot.

I've been beavering away with the wings, hampered by a few own goals along the way. The flaps are finished now and I'm assembling bits to ensure that the rear nacelle that attaches to the flap can slide into the opening. This is one wing done except for some tidying up necessary. As you can see, I've filled the gap on the aileron too and will rescribe it tomorrow once I can be sure everything is dry.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Having taken the engineer seat out, the fuselage is now together. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Dropping the flaps as added quite a bit of extra work, but hopefully it will be worth it when done. The only problem with a yellow underside is there's no hiding poor workmanship!

Cheers

• Like 15

Excellent work so far on the Halibag, Neil! However, I must take exception to your workspace. That is far, far too tidy for a proper modeller (such as yourself). I think you should be reported to the IPMS or MI5 or somebody.

Best Regards,

Jason

• Haha 4

Thanks guys, this has been a slow part of the build but pretty much there now on the wings.

13 hours ago, Learstang said:

Excellent work so far on the Halibag, Neil! However, I must take exception to your workspace. That is far, far too tidy for a proper modeller (such as yourself). I think you should be reported to the IPMS or MI5 or somebody.

Best Regards,

Jason

I've just had a tidy up as it was starting to look normal again 🤣 The rivet police are bad enough, IPMSMI5 sound highly intimidating!

So, this is where it's up to, not quite happy with the engraving of one of the ailerons so might fill it and redo it, but apart from a dose of rivets, the wings are done now. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 18
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, woody37 said:

..rivet police are bad enough, IPMSMI5 sound highly intimidating!

I now have a mental image of a plastic Spanish Inquisition :blink:

Ahem, anyway, moving swiftly away from that! Tidy work there Neil. Already made mention of my personal preference for the Halifax of all the RAF 'heavies' so may have a biased opinion but it is looking great.

• Haha 4

Just seen this: marvellous to see a Halibag being built. Like Col I think that these were/are underrated aircraft - which is why about 40+ years ago I converted the Airfix BIII into a BVII. Lots of work but worth it as it is still in a perspex box in my modelling room. Never thought at the time to build a prototype - too late now.

P

• Like 1

17 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Shouldn't that be Styrene Inquisition?

I think you've just created a new name for Rivet Counters and the Joyless Modelling Nazis  :D 

• Haha 1

Been plodding away on this. Now got the clear bits primed and most of the rivets applied. A boring task but one that adds to the overall effect. Nothing more than an approximation to add some detail to the surfaces. Ignore the blank in the mid upper, it's for masking purposes only.

spacer.png

spacer.png

When the flaps were cut out, the fillet at the wing root was lost so rather than gluing new ones to the wings and risking getting them broken off by sausage fingers, I added them to the fuselage instead:

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 17

21 hours ago, pheonix said:

Yes the front of the cockpit windscreen was assymetrical.

P

Indeed, quite a complex design but must have been great visibility for starboard turns

9 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Fantastic work Neil, looks wonderful and the riveting really does add to the model.  Great job

Chris

Thanks Chris, it's a chore but glad I did it now.

• Like 2

More plodding on, I've been taking pics along the way but not posting them, so here's a bit of an update.

firstly, getting the wingtip lenses on with a bit of Mr surfacer 500 to fill the small gaps before sanding and polishing

spacer.png

Next, whilst stuff was drying, I cracked on with some of the sub-assemblies. The nacelles come in two halves including the leading-edge collector ring, which is a pain to hide the seams in, but necessary as they are prominent. The main wheels are resin Lancaster ones as the Revell ones are a couple of mm too small. A problem I encountered was the engines being too big to slide the nacelles over as per instructions, so I had to do some sanding of the cylinder heads and scraping the inner lip of the cooling fins away so that they fit over. Heads up for anyone who wants to build one.

spacer.png

I've started to lay the underside paint down. I've used MRP Marking Yellow with a bit of white added. This is for two reasons. Firstly, to tone it down because it really pops, and I need to account for scale. The second is that the yellow is so thin, it's almost translucent. This necessitated a base coat of white first with some medium sea grey to provide a touch of pre-shading

spacer.png

The yellow looks lighter in real life, I'm pleased with how it's looking. There's a subtle weathering from the pre-shade that the camera isn't picking up. I'll pick some of the panel lines out later for some mild weathering.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And some of the sub-assemblies have started to see paint too

spacer.png

And a quick tease shot of the engines in place! 

spacer.png

I need to have a look through the spares box to see if I have props left over from an Airfix Stirling or Halifax as the ones in the Revell kit are terrible. They look more like the paddle blade units fitted to the Lanc rather than those fitted to the Hallifax.

• Like 16