Revell Halifax Mk.III Prototype R9534 (finished)

This is the perfect excuse to do this as it's been on my list for some time. I'll be using the Revell kit pretty much OOB along with the 'P' markings from a sheet I bought a good while ago. At some point, the early tail planes were replaced with the rectangular ones so I could do it with either, but thought the early ones would make a more interesting combination, especially with a yellow belly!

spacer.png

• Like 24

1 hour ago, Col. said:

Cool! The Halifax never gets enough attention in my personal opinion so I'm delighted to see you're doing this one in our GB :thumbsup:

It's not an easy aircraft to get a decent kit of either sadly. The Revell kit is the best of the bunch, but not without issues, particularly the Mk.I/II and prices second had are steep whilst it is currently out of production. I'm looking forwards to this too :)

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looks interesting Neil, certainly with the earlier tailplanes and radial engines,awesome. 

Chris

Cheers Chris, yes, a bit of Mk.I/II hang over with the Tollerton nose too, hybrid shape.

• Like 1

Made a start on the interior. I'm planning to have the bomb bay closed but have the access door open and possibly the cockpit top hatch and front upper fuselage hatch open. Also considering dropping the flaps to add a bit of interest.

I need to get hold of a set of Revell early tail planes from a Mk.I/II kit if anyone has any left from doing one with the later ones? The Mk.III only comes with the later ones unfortunately.

I had a resin cockpit set for the old Matchbox kit so used a few bits out of there as well as the Eduard etch kit which is very nice. The only problem with this was the panels are a medium grey so gave a black wash to darken them up.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers

Neil

• Like 21

Interesting colour scheme choice, will enjoy following this build! And my pal who works at the York Air Museum tells me they are hopefully dragging Friday the 13th out of the hanger for some sunshine in the very near future, if you wan't to see the 1/1 scale in daylight.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Quiet Mike said:

Interesting colour scheme choice, will enjoy following this build! And my pal who works at the York Air Museum tells me they are hopefully dragging Friday the 13th out of the hanger for some sunshine in the very near future, if you wan't to see the 1/1 scale in daylight.

Sounds like a possibility, was over there a month or so back but it was inside. Thanks

The interior is pretty much done now. I don't want to add more that won't be seen, especially with a windowless Tollerton nose fitted. 

Firstly, the modelling space. I found myself not wanting to do stuff previously because the workspace was such a mess, so I had a damn good tidy up before starting this build and part of my routine is to keep on top of housekeeping. I know this is somewhat a strange attitude amongst us modellers, but I'm finding it is working for my motivation as I can find stuff now rather than spending more time looking for stuff than gluing or painting it! Ignore the B17 box, I'm using it because the Revell kit is hopelessly end opening! To the left is my business space, so keeping it tidy fits well with my professional mindset too!

spacer.png

And the build...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Big thanks to Dan @WhitleyZ6743 who is kindly sending me some early style tailplanes too so I can carry on with the original plan.

Thanks

Neil

• Like 22

I do like the look of this Neil, it is one I've had a yearning to do for years, but with an Airfix kit & Aeroclub nose, the combination of yellow undersides & low demarcation camo is a winner to my mind. I'll be watchin this one like a hawk, carry on good sir. ;) :D

FWIW, I've always inclined toward the rectangular fins, I reckon they balance it better, imho of course.

handley-page-hp-59-halifax-b-mk-ii-serie

From here, one more photo there.

Steve.

• Like 4

Thanks guys, lets see how the tidy bench stays tidy!

9 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I do like the look of this Neil, it is one I've had a yearning to do for years, but with an Airfix kit & Aeroclub nose, the combination of yellow undersides & low demarcation camo is a winner to my mind. I'll be watchin this one like a hawk, carry on good sir. ;) :D

FWIW, I've always inclined toward the rectangular fins, I reckon they balance it better, imho of course.

handley-page-hp-59-halifax-b-mk-ii-serie

From here, one more photo there.

Steve.

I agree Steve, they do look better but I'm wanting the hybrid look on this one. An interesting observation I've made about this photo is that not only have they changed the fins, but the carb intakes about the engine are shorter than when the triangular fins were fitted. Not sure why, perhaps different engines installed?

• Like 2

Here are another two images of R9534 in her early set up, Have you spotted the Boulton Paul Type C turret @woody37? The Revell Mk.III comes with the transparent parts but not the guns or turret base, have you got something you could knock together to make the turret base?

spacer.png

Bottom of Page 3: https://rclibrary.co.uk/files_titles/1665/Profile_011_HandleyPageHalifax.pdf

Dan

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WhitleyZ6743 said:

Here are another two images of R9534 in her early set up, Have you spotted the Boulton Paul Type C turret @woody37? The Revell Mk.III comes with the transparent parts but not the guns or turret base, have you got something you could knock together to make the turret base?

spacer.png

Bottom of Page 3: https://rclibrary.co.uk/files_titles/1665/Profile_011_HandleyPageHalifax.pdf

Dan

Hi Dan,

The pic I have been working to has the Type A fitted, so it looks like they played around with this aircraft a lot, thanks for spotting that. I'm going to stick with the Type A but seems I can't go wrong lol!

spacer.png

• Like 5

A few small updates from last nights work.

The access door has been opened. The rear bomb bay structure fouls the engraved line of the door so I've had to build it up a little with plasticard and filler to clear the inside bits so I'll file this down later.

spacer.png

And the flaps have been cut out. There's some work to do on these but they'll be in a lowered position. I'll rebuild the flap leading edges with P38 car filler and some more plasticard to restore the hinge locations. 

spacer.png

Cutting the flaps out has left a gap that needs packing to restore the integrity of the wings so strips have been added. Once the gear bays have been painted, I'll close the wings up.

spacer.png

Getting there slowly.

Cheers

• Like 11

Hello, Neil -

I hope I'm not too late but did I spot a seat in the Engineer's compartment?   I dont think there was one!

If you haven't buttoned the fuselage up, AND *IF* I'm right, dare I suggest you remove the seat?

NOT a criticism, promise!

Jonny

1 minute ago, Jonny said:

Hello, Neil -

I hope I'm not too late but did I spot a seat in the Engineer's compartment?   I dont think there was one!

If you haven't buttoned the fuselage up, AND *IF* I'm right, dare I suggest you remove the seat?

NOT a criticism, promise!

Jonny

I believe there was a seat for the engineer in the B.III's but not in the earlier Merlin-powered Hallys.

Chris