Tamiya Castrol Celica WRC - Safari

galaxyg

• 3 weeks later...

Back to this one now the jetlag is (mostly) gone. Fitting the light lenses. I'll presume the PVA will dry to transparent later as it usually does.

spacer.png

I want to test fit this front scaffolding, and it's at this point that I discover there's some holes to be drilled out from the inside. Not mentioned in my (non-Safari version) instructions.

spacer.png

Now it's all in place I can glue the two pieces of scaffolding to each other - but not yet the car.

spacer.png

Having them assembled allows me to glue in the mesh.

spacer.png

And then spray it white. Or what appears to be dirty white, which is about right for the real thing.

spacer.png

Gotta love Molotow chrome pens.

spacer.png

Completing the rear-end decalling.

spacer.png

There's enough going on with this build as it is, so I've gone with the decal seatbelts for a change.

spacer.png

Now the interior is completed, union of body and chassis can be done, and the the scaffolding glued in place.

spacer.png

• Like 9

Doesn't look like it's far off completing now, and looking good too.

It's weird with interiors, we go all out to get them right even though they;re not that visible. Or so we keep saying, but the funny thing is that if you don't do it all right it somehoe manages to stand out like a sore thumb where you cut corners. (This is not referring to the seatbelts by the way which, judging by the photos here and those in my Skyline, will past muster all day long).

• Like 2

I painted both the kit mudflaps and the PE ones, just in case the PE one's didn't fit or adhere.

spacer.png

PE it is. Not even the tiny mounting points can resist the lure of Super Glue.

spacer.png

Weathering pigment on the tyres.

spacer.png

Well - in this close up pic you can see the Pirelli on the tyre as well as the Michelin.    I'm sure when it's photographed as a whole car, it won't be noticeable. :)

Also shown is the dirt and mud along the sills. I sprayed them with matt varnish and then once dry, rubbed it in to the matt surface with a grubby finger.

spacer.png

Some mud around the back.

spacer.png

And some general grubbiness up the sides. This is as dirty as it's going to get. It's oh-so-easy to go way too far with this kind of thing and I've seen that done badly more times than I've seen it done well.

The end result I hope has given the model enough dirt to look realistic/grounded/weighty without being an OTT splatterfest or looking like someone's attacked it randomly all over with a brush loaded with brown paint.

Certainly it has the desired effect (in my biased opinion) when the car is viewed as a whole.

There are only a few items left now - the big spotlights near the mirrors, an aerial, and various bonnet pins and those springy connectors near the headlights. The latter few items (pins etc) are waiting on a delivery from SpotModel.

spacer.png

Edited by galaxyg
Corrected Typo
  • Like 9

Great work. I'm currently building this kit OOTB. I was quite tempted to use the higher suspension for a gravel rally but couldn't find some suitable tyres or decals. Sorry if I've missed it, but where did you your tyres? It's quite frustrating that most of Tamiya's current line-up of rally cars are from Tarmac events, when gravel stages offer more weathering opportunities. And don't get me started on Nunu's Olympus Rally Quattro with slick tyres :wall: 

5 hours ago, Bobby No Mac said:

Sorry if I've missed it, but where did you your tyres? 

They came from my spares box and originally are from the Tamiya Celica st165 road car kit, as I'd used neither the boxes wheels or tyres from that 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Windy37 said:

You didn't fancy weathering it like the actual car got weathered then ? 

2022-11-19_01-37-56

Just wondering 🤔 

Gary . 

It briefly crossed my mind, just as something different on the shelf. But it seemed a waste to cover all that decalling work !

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Windy37 said:

You didn't fancy weathering it like the actual car got weathered then ? 

2022-11-19_01-37-56

Just wondering 🤔 

Gary . 

This might be a solution to the very yellowed decals in my kit! :facepalm:

• Like 2