Research Pioneer: Bell X-2 - **completed**

On 12/11/2022 at 10:04 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Nice finish to the X plane, I think it stinks about the markings. Should have both on the sheet in case something goes wrong. 

Cheers!

Something did go wrong when I was applying the decals, and it happened to be with one of the serials. These decals have a tendency to stick firm if they feel like it, and one of the serials absolutely refused to budge no matter how much persuasion with a brush or liquid. In the end I had to get it off with tape. Luckily (and for reasons unknown), AZ include a duplicate set of serials, under a different item number which is not called up on the instructions. They are exactly the same as the others, so really not sure why they are included, but I was glad they were!

21 hours ago, Col. said:

Good work on both the painting and detective work required to confirm the markings Mike :) 

Cheers Col. The detective work can be half the fun, and certainly helps me justify buying reference books :)

Mike 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mike N said:

Cheers Col. The detective work can be half the fun, and certainly helps me justify buying reference books :)

Always a good thing :thumbsup:

• Like 1

And she's done:

IMG_20221219_223233_HDR

A bit of a labour of love, but I'm pleased enough with the end result.

IMG_20221219_223457_HDR

The dolly took a bit longer than I expected, and is certainly not 100% accurate, but it serves its purpose well enough I think.

IMG_20221219_223103_HDR

And, finally, a group photo with Special Hobby X-1E, AZ Model X-3, and Special Hobby X-4. The Special Hobby kits here were certainly nicer to build than the other 2!

IMG_20221219_223934_HDR

Thanks for all the likes and comments, with thanks to the GB mods and especially to @Col. for the regular words of encouragement!

Mike 

• Like 14

• Mike N changed the title to Research Pioneer: Bell X-2 - **completed**
12 hours ago, Whirly said:

A great build, especially informative and useful for other people interested in the same subject like me!  🙂

The final group shot is a gem. Now you only need to tackle the Mach2 Bell X-5 🤪

Thank you very much! As for the X-5, I keep hoping that Special Hobby (ideally) or AZ come out with one, but if I see the Mach 2 kit at a show I might just have to bite the bullet :unsure:

• Like 1