Frog and Old Airfix 1/72 Bristol Blenheims (belated RFI post!)

woody37

I'm in the process of migrating old builds from Photobucket to Flickr and whilst I can find the WIP of these two builds back in 2013, I couldn't find an RFI so thought I'd post them here linked to the Flickr pics. 

Build thread:

Here

It's the Frog Mk.I and old Airfix Mk.IV kits with Falcon canopies and plenty of scratch building to bring them up to date. Fun builds from what I remember and pleased with the results.

Frog:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Airfix:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking :)

• Like 71
  • Thanks 3

Wow, hard to believe that these are the first Blenhiem 's available to build way back when. They look terrific and very comparable to the modern offerings. 

Just goes to show with a bit of love and attention and considerable modelling skills what can be done. 

Thanks for sharing. 

Kevin 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, woody37 said:

I'm in the process of migrating old builds from Photobucket to Flickr and whilst I can find the WIP of these two builds back in 2013, I couldn't find an RFI so thought I'd post them here linked to the Flickr pics. 

Build thread:

Here

It's the Frog Mk.I and old Airfix Mk.IV kits with Falcon canopies and plenty of scratch building to bring them up to date. Fun builds from what I remember and pleased with the results.

Frog:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Airfix:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking :)

Well done with these old thing.

Alain

• Like 1

Very nice!  Great that  you've modified the surface of both kits engraving the panel lines. That makes them of having a modern look! (besides your excellent weathering, of course) :) 

Thank for saving them from Photobucket crisis.... I that time (of crisis) I re-loaded almost 3000 photos to mine old threads...

However I think I have found your thread from 2013 outside the BM search engine. I have just used ordinary google tool, writing "Woody37, Frog, Britmodeller, Blenheim " and the 4th from top was that one, Is it what you've been looking for?:

I am finding all my old threads just this way, just by googling it :)

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

Edited by JWM
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JWM said:

Very nice!  Great that  you've modified the surface of both kits engraving the panel lines. That makes them of having a modern look! (besides your excellent weathering, of course) :) 

Thank for saving them from Photobucket crisis.... I that time (of crisis) I re-loaded almost 3000 photos to mine old threads...

However I think I have found your thread from 2013 outside the BM search engine. I have just used ordinary google tool, writing "Woody37, Frog, Britmodeller, Blenheim " and the 4th from top was that one, Is it what you've been looking for?:

I am finding all my old threads just this way, just by googling it :)

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

Hi Jerzy, that's the build thread, I found that doing the same search as you, it was an RFI that I couldn't find so it's possible I didn't do one. Fortunately, I keep my photo's so PB hasn't been such an issue except for an Italeri Sunderland build I did, god knows where those photo's went!

• Like 1

Hi,

these two models really look good.

The Mk. IV has often been slammed as being full of errors, and that may be so, but it does look every mm like a Mk. IV! 

As for the Mk I, which I have in the stash, where did you find these decals?

Congratulations!

JR

Edited by jean
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jean said:

Hi,

these two models really look good.

The Mk. IV has often been slammed as being full of errors, and that may be so, but it does look every mm like a Mk. IV! 

As for the Mk I, which I have in the stash, where did you find these decals?

Congratulations!

JR

Thanks Jean.

The Mk.I decals are on the Xtradecal sheet X72054 

Xtradecal Aircraft decals - X72054 | Hannants

8 hours ago, Galligraphics said:

Nice work. I shall enjoy having a read of the WIP thread, especially as I have both models in my stash and could do with a few pointers as and when I get around to completing them…

I'm intending to update the WIP photo's too as they're still linked to Photobucket, hope to get them done this week, but it's a slow affair!

6 hours ago, FatFlyHalf said:

Where did all the millions of rivets on the old Airfix kit go ?

I need to check back, but probably sanded off as I wanted to get the two models looking similar, there wasn't any on the Frog kit IIRC.

• Like 2

A worthy reboot indeed. As you'll see by the slew of likes, I had a wander through the WiP, though I didn't start liking till later, pity we couldn't do it back then, I'd have been able to retrace my steps. I vaguely remember the WiP, I mean, it was a while back, but what a rewarding journey it was. I've both of those kits, the Frog one may become a Finnish one, the AF one is going to donate to a Gloster F5/34 scratch build & a Lysander Mk III based on the old Frog one. Revisiting this makes me happier in my plans. Some Middle East decals for the later Mk I I have too seem like a good  scheme after seeing these. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2022 at 8:43 AM, stevehnz said:

A worthy reboot indeed. As you'll see by the slew of likes, I had a wander through the WiP, though I didn't start liking till later, pity we couldn't do it back then, I'd have been able to retrace my steps. I vaguely remember the WiP, I mean, it was a while back, but what a rewarding journey it was. I've both of those kits, the Frog one may become a Finnish one, the AF one is going to donate to a Gloster F5/34 scratch build & a Lysander Mk III based on the old Frog one. Revisiting this makes me happier in my plans. Some Middle East decals for the later Mk I I have too seem like a good  scheme after seeing these. :)

Steve.

Thanks Steve,

I like the Finnish schemes; I've got a similar plan with the 1/48 AF kit (got the decal set already) so please do share for inspiration when you get round to it. There's lots of great original colour photos on the net from the Finnish air force that got me intrigued! Which parts are you going to donate to the Gloster F5/34? Wings and engine? Looks loke a British Zero, attractive aeroplane that I haven't seen before so look forwards to that too.

Thanks

Neil

32 minutes ago, woody37 said:

Can't wait to see it Steve, it would fit well in the group build running at the moment

I think it'll have to wait a bit longer yet, 'sides, I've got another something planned for the GB. if I can get A into G. :unsure:

Steve.