1/16 Scale Harley Davidson from Aoshima kit

Fastcat

Me again!

This was a model I built when IPMS was still at Donington, a venue which for some reason held a great appeal for me. It started life originally as one of a set of historic road bikes made by Aoshima. These were all in the odd but pleasing scale of 1/16th whereas most bikes are in 1/12th scale. I like 1/16th because it allows enough detail for a very manageable size but with Tamiya going for the larger scale, anyone else was out on a limb and these kits were very much under-rated, the original set not being followed up. I bought three, the Henderson, the Harley and the Ace, all American and was impressed with the level of detail and fidelity. The fit wasn't over great but what can you expect from a 40/50 year old kit? It was an old kit even when I made it.

Being me, I had to make something a little different. The bike is a real Harley restored racer which I came across in a book but if I were to tackle it again, I'd choose a more stripped down version as raced on the board tracks in the States.

P1010006 P1010004 P1010002 P1040235 P1040233 P1040226 P1040223 P1040220

All in all it was a lovely little kit, plenty of scope to produce something a bit different and plenty of work, not just a case of leaving off the road bits and making a racer from what's left over. Still, it's unlikely to ever be kitted again, more's the pity.

Eventually, I got rid of the Henderson (just that bit too archaic), but the Ace and Harley both gave many hours of fun.

Dave

• Like 14

Thank you Stef N.

That was what originally appealed to me. Track bikes of the period are a bit plainer, more like the standard factory bike with a standard factory finish. This bike was a little different.

Dave

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Toryu,

Not a bad kit, considering its age. And never likely to be done again with a more modern kit which is a pity.

Dave