Surface Prep Post Primer

Maximilian

Hey all,

I am curious about how best to prep the surface for paint after priming. I used Mr. Surfacer 1500 and MLT in a 40/60 ratio and let it cure for a few days. Coming back this weekend to throw some paint on the thing.

I used kimwipes to knock back most of the overspray, but there was still dust on the model so I very delicately used an antistatic dusting want to suck up most of the swarf and dust. However, I’m curious if you can use a cotton cloth and IPA to clean the surface? I would expect the cured primer to resist the IPA? I plan to use the airbrush to dust the model a final time before spot priming/painting. 

Any thoughts or insights are appreciated. 

Gunze lacquers and primers do dissolve into IPA (in fact I use it to strip these paints), so I would tend not to. If you're very careful and use only the lightest touch of ipa, it might work out well, but a wet cloth and a little pressure will go straight through. You could use just a damp (in water) cloth perhaps? Let me know how it goes!

Andy 

If you can find it on E-Bay or the like, I would recommend using Servisol Hard-Surface Foam Cleaner . It not cheap (around £8.00 a can), but if you're only using it to clean models, it should last for a very long time. It is a foaming cleaner with a mild detergent in it and it's ideal for removing sanding-dust and other minor, surface blemishes. I find it cleans much better than just using water and a bit of kitchen-towel. 

For me, it's one of those "how did I do without it?" products. 

You can find a similar product, but cheaper, from some market-traders - it's called "Car Valet" upholstery-cleaner (about £2.00 for a smaller can). 

Hope this helps.

Chris.  

PS: Not too sure where you're from (ATX?). I made the assumption you're in the UK...

Edited by spruecutter96
Amending some information.
  • Thanks 1