Film star! part 2, 'Battle of Britain' movie Spitfire Mk IX

This is the ICM 1/48 Spitfire IXc, modified into Spitfire Mk IXc, MK297 was the aircraft marked as AI*A, flown by Squadron leader 'Skipper' {Robert Shaw} in the 'taka taka taka' scene. It was built at Castle Bromwich in late 1943.  MK297 had also appeared in the film 'The longest day', and the series 'A piece of cake'. It made its way eventually to Hamilton, Ontario, only to be destroyed in the same hangar fire as G-AWLW (Diemert Hurricane).

Image1

Image2 Image4

Image5

Image7

Image9

Image15

Image12

Image17

Maskye8_bob_MHIX_1

... again, thanks for all the advice and suggestions on this website!

build log ...

ICM SPIT build log

Cheers,

Colin

• Like 48
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, keith in the uk said:

Wow Colin , another stunner on a par with your Hurricane , will it be a merlin engine Heinkel 111 next ?  

Thanks!  I'm finishing off 2 HA-1112's next. I do have to consider a CASA 2111, but that's a much bigger project!

Movie aircraft are an interesting genre, I'm torn between 'Tora Tora Tora' Harvard-zero's, 'Where Eagles dare' Harvard- Focke-Wulf's, and a 'Catch-22' B-25.  So much to choose from!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Edger said:

Nice, decals from?

They are a real mix of Fundekals (codes and Squadron leader pennant), Scalemaster/War Eagle (roundels, tail flash), BarracudaCals (stencils), and Fantasy Printshop (kill markings). 

• Like 1

Movie stars are always fun, even more when there is several different vehicles used in one movie or episode. Think I saw this one in person when you were making it. I noticed something sticking out the bottom in the movie scene just below the N number.

47 minutes ago, busnproplinerfan said:

I noticed something sticking out the bottom in the movie scene just below the N number.

I noticed that too, but it appears on only some of the photos (and on a view of all the Spits lined up, it looks to be on only one airframe). If it was a VHF antenna, it would be on all the airframes, not just one.  It is something particular to one airframe, and is not seen where MK297 is clearly identifiable.

Also, in the 'taka taka taka' scene where both aircraft are in view, the rod is clearly in view on the aircraft marked AI*H, not on AI*A, but in the scenes where only one aircraft is in view, the rod is now on the aircraft marked AI*A!  Filmed on a different day, with the markings (tape applied every day) reversed!

taka taka

Edited by Tail-Dragon

Lovely work on this Colin, brings back memories from a happy youth & multiple viewings of said movie, not to mention subsequent viewings of VHSs, & DVDs. I think my Airfix IX (1/72) would look good in these markings which I have tucked away.

Steve.

Very nicely done. Certainly looks the part.

From a very "collander like" memory, weren't some of these airframes marked differently on each side? Now that would have the "rivet counters" screaming into their beer mugs😜

Regards

Pete

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2022 at 1:01 PM, Pete Robin said:

Very nicely done. Certainly looks the part.

From a very "collander like" memory, weren't some of these airframes marked differently on each side? Now that would have the "rivet counters" screaming into their beer mugs😜

Regards

Pete

Thanks! Yes, I've read that they were differently marked on both sides in some of the filming - I'm just afraid that IPMS judges heads would explode!

• Haha 2