Lightning Does Strike Twice - P-38G and P-38J

So for my first GB anywhere I have gone all in and will build a pair of Tamiya 1/48 P-38s.

The first will be the P-38G-15-LO, s/n 43-2475, 'Babe' complete with the Eduard gun bay set and some other AM that is on route from Hannants along with the Decal Sets

Secondly then I will tackle the all metal finish with the P-38J 42-67408, 42-67408 'Double Trouble' - This will be a more OOB build

So plenty to keep me working on as the dark nights draw in

spacer.png

Kom

• Like 4

Its Sunday, lunch is in the oven so time to make start on the P-38G

spacer.png

As well as the gun bay set I will be adding a few other upgrade bits including the Aber gun barrels and using the Exito Decal Set P-38G-15-LO, s/n 43-2475, 'Babe'

All the Best

Kom

Edited by Komedy
Typo
  • Like 4

You've chosen two cracking kits, I'm sure you'll enjoy the GB greatly. A word of warning though, they can get rather adictive! Nice start on that cockpit as well :)

James

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some more progress this evening, however on going to fit the AM gun barrels realised that I got sent the wrong ones. Sent a set of 1/24 scale cannons :doh:

Will have to give them a ring in the morning to get them swapped out as the kit ones are pretty bland.

spacer.png

very slight witness of a seam line to sort out to the left of the cockpit, shouldn't take to much to work it out

spacer.png

Kom

• Like 11

Welcome along to your first STGB...we will be gentle on you! :D Plus you bought not one but two of those amazing Tamiya models!!!

Seeing all that lovely sprue spears out like that........ :wub:

No messing around either, that cockpit looks great and that Eduard IP is very nice. Don't worry the Control Wheel looks right right to me here downunder! :D

Well good luck with both of these build, I hope you enjoy the STGB.

Oh yeah that bench is way to organised and neat and tidy, mine is currently under 1/2" of resin dust..... am not allowed to mention what I've started other than it's resin and 1/32nd! :wicked:

• Thanks 1

Finally managed to get it all nailed together and the base coat down, only a little tidy up needed before getting the first colours down. 

thanks for all the kind comments to date, much appreciated

spacer.png

All the Best

Kom

• Like 8

After two lengthy enough sessions have the colour down. A lot of geometry to deal with on this bird but pleased enough with the outcome and I continue to be impressed with SMS.

• SMS Olive Drab
  • SMS Neutral Grey

Will let it cure off before a gloss coat in prep for the decals.

Note the nose cone is only set on and will fit the AM cannons towards the end.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

PXL-20221007-191636653.jpg

Kom

• Like 6

One down and one to go. I will keep the thread open until I have both finished and then will add a few pics of them side by side.

Enjoyed this first build and will approach the next one now a little better informed, there are some quirks. This next one will be the metal finish.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

PXL-20221015-211208250.jpg

On to the next one

Kom

• Like 8

4 hours ago, 81-er said:

That's a realy lovely model, Kom, well done! Are you going to put those shots in the gallery, or wait until both are done?

James

Hi James thanks for the comments.

I'm sure I'll tinker with this one a little while completing the second one so not quite ready to post them to the gallery 

All the Best

Kom

• Like 1

so next up is the P38-J "Double Trouble"

Bench tidied up after the first build and ready to make a start on this one tomorrow.

spacer.png

Kom

Edited by Komedy
  • Like 2