13th Light Dragoons Trumpet

'Morning.

This is one popular GB, Col!

I asked Col if a figure in a special uniform would qualify, and the man from Inverurie, he say yes.

Images of Light Dragoon trumpeters in 1815 are, to put it mildly, infrequent. There are plenty of images of them in the 18th century and after 1820. They all show reversed colours with a buff/yellow coat in the case of the 13th LDs. I found one painting of the 13th dragoons at Waterloo:

P74FMJ

According to Alamy this is copyright expired, incidentally. Here is the trumpeter in close-up:

P74FMJ

So much for paying for an HD download! The HD image is at least of the full picture letting me see it's by Harry Payne: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Payne_(artist), who seems fairly likely to have painted an accurate picture. The reason to harp on is that there are several illustrations I've found on-line of LD trumpeters during the Napoleonic wars dressed like every other light dragoon, other than the fact they are carrying trumpets. Any way, I'm going with this.

Buff coat, yellow lace and red facings and plume. Otherwise, his equipment is the same as the troopers'.

This is all slightly complicated by going on holiday. Here is my valise, as I believe the light dragoons would say.

220924a Valise 220924b Stuff

Here is a Lusitanian mini-den:

220924c Set-up

I'm hoping this is all I need to construct. I want to try some pyrograving and didn't think it was very wise to pack a soldering iron, so that'll have till wait till home.

The kit:

220924d Kit and additions

This is the Historex British Light Dragoon. There are a few editions from Historex NCO spare parts, whose mail order is great. I've added a couple of heads to see if I could find one I like: probably the top one. There are additionally some Figurinitaly 1/30 resin heads which I got some time ago without any real project in view. So, head to be decided. I didn't like the horse's pose much and got these horse halves (Historex numbers 4 and 13.) The horse's head is as supplied. I also got the horseshoes, the saddle bags and an additional set of the decoration parts specific to the 13th light dragoons.

I forgot to include in this photograph this:

220925b Trumpet

The trumpet! This is Historex' British trumpet. I have photographed it at this angle to show the hollowed-out bell. I had not been struck by this previously; this must be a very early bit of slide-molding.

Long ago, in my teens, I read in a Historex catalogue that their horses are too thin. I think that's right.

220924e Blu-tac assembly

This is the horse assembled with blu-tac to be a bit broader. I've left the front end thin so that the horse's neck still more-or-less fits. You can see that the horse is looking straight ahead and is a bit unnatural looking. The weird octagon is a Historex foot figure base, which came in the kit. It's ideal for making the spacers between the horse halves.

220924f Spacers

Here is the horse assembled with spacers and the start of mutiple razor saw-cuts to the horse's neck to turn it to the right a little.

220925a Horse assembled and nek started

Thanks for looking/reading and see you later.

Alan 

• Like 14

Great stuff Alan

I wondered if you could do the reverse of what you've done to the horse on myself and no doubt some other BM members.

I can't remember the last time If ever someone said I'm too thin ! :giggle:

Best of luck with the build. :fingerscrossed:

Cheers Pat

• Haha 5

Adrian,

Hi. This is another instance of the North-South divide. I only dreamt of Historex in my youth and had to make do with Airfix, and porridge, obviously.

Historex Agents in the UK (https://historexagents.com/#) have pretty good stocks, and Historex NCO (http://www.historex.com/) in France have just about everything,

Alan

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Looking forward to this as I've tried figure painting in the past and never succeeded, hopefully get some tips and enthusiasm as I've got a couple of figures in the stash plus some F1 drivers that I'd like to complete at some point 

Ian 😀 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Well this is an interesting choice, Ive seen all sorts of colors on Napoleonic era uniforms. Ranging from Reds, Greens, Blues, but never heard of yellow. 

It was usual for the musicians to wear reversed colour uniforms. Their 'facings' were the main uniform colour and their uniform was the regiment's facings colour 

In this case the 13th's facings are yellow, thus the trumpeter wears a yellow jacket

Just as today in the British Army the musicians were the stretcher bearers and field medics. Having a reversed colour uniform made them stand out and be found easily

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Great stuff Alan

I wondered if you could do the reverse of what you've done to the horse on myself and no doubt some other BM members.

I can't remember the last time If ever someone said I'm too thin ! :giggle:

Best of luck with the build. :fingerscrossed:

Cheers Pat

I'm just retiring, Pat, but I'm certainly on to give it a go. 25 guineas?

9 hours ago, Black Knight said:

It was usual for the musicians to wear reversed colour uniforms. Their 'facings' were the main uniform colour and their uniform was the regiment's facings colour 

In this case the 13th's facings are yellow, thus the trumpeter wears a yellow jacket

Just as today in the British Army the musicians were the stretcher bearers and field medics. Having a reversed colour uniform made them stand out and be found easily

Thanks BK. I think you're right, but I think there were sometimes at least when musicians and ensigns had standard uniforms so that the other side couldn't target their "command and control". Hence my concern about the authenticity.

Anyway, here are the horse halves together and the join along the rump filled with scrap and liquid glue. I want to get that join filled like that because I think it'll make fitting the shabraque easier. The front of the shabraque will be covered by sheepskin. 

220925c Rump join filled

I kept on with the razor saw cuts to the horse's neck, albeit with my heart in my mouth,

220925d Neck cuts

and closed them up having filled them with liquid glue, and then, having not brought the Berna clamps on holiday, held on to it for an hour,

220926e Neck glued

and that's about right. It's made a nice smooth curve and between cuts the muscle detail is intact.

Here's the horse together and the halves of the shabraque.

20220926_090402

See you later.

Alan

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the info Alan. I might be tempted to pick up a project I had left unfinished as a teenager, and would need to get the right horse poses to do it.

On 25/09/2022 at 19:19, Angus Tura said:

North-South divide

Hmpf… Before I moved down to That London to dine on caviare and champagne every night, I grew up in Brum on a diet of tripe and liver and onions. I didn’t smoke, drink, drive or chase girls, and so all my money went on modelling! And while on the subject of warm gravel for breakfast (luxury!), I didn’t even get to buy an Airfix kit above series three until I was forty something. Try telling the kids of today that… *

The horse surgery looks great - I always assumed the Airfix Horses were too fat!

:)

Adrian

* they will just stare at you and ask “What’s an Airfix?”

• Haha 4

Ee ba goom, Adrian.

Being Scottish, but living in God's own county (it says here), I'm in a perpetual state of confusion as to what counts as north, and what south, to you English Folks. I am sorry if I have incorrectly labelled you as a GSW *. Porridge, like green stuff in my hands at least, never gets set enough to sand.

Precious little Light Dragoon progress to report:

220927a Horse filling 1

I spent all of yesterday evening gluing stretched sprue into neck wounds leading to, 1: boredom and 2: row with her indoors in re failure to make the tea.

Alan

Footnote (Footnotes in posts are a great idea, Adrian.)

* GSW: Great Soothen Woosh. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 9/27/2022 at 12:27 PM, Col. said:

Doesn't your dear lady know you've more important matters requiring attention!?!

I can't get through to her, Col. Would you have a word?

Yesterday I thought I could get the horse's neck smoothed out but unfortunately a few areas of the plastic were still soft and not well supported beneath.

220928a Sanding horse = new holes 1 220928b Sanding horse = new holes 2

So, those bits need redoing. The concave bits of the centre line joint I'm going to fill with Magic-sculp as it's easier to shape than the glue-melted polystyrene. Hopefully make a start on the shabraque and sheepskin today.

Alan

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Angus Tura said:

I can't get through to her, Col. Would you have a word?

Of course. Although I can't promise that'll improve the situation for you Alan.

War Horse looks to have a few battle scars after the initial skirmish but I'm sure the subsequent campaign will see it right :) 

Bom dia from Portugal.

We went to the beach a couple of days ago and I took along this build, as you do. There was a rain shower and we sheltered in BJ's very excellent beach bar.

220929a BJ's

Horsey and kit in foreground. Mrs.Tura's nose on the left. I had to do a bit of sculpting before putting the tail on, which I had to do before starting the saddle straps, which I had to do before starting on the shabraque. The sculpting caused considerable hilarity for BJ and his co-workers:

220930a Nadular 220930b Bumular

The indignities of life as a 1/30 scale Connemara Grey. This will need a bit of Mr.Surfacer-based smoothing out.

Here is the problem with the shabraque:

220930c Woeful fit and holsters

The fit at the front end is woeful. I suppose it would fit better were the horse holding his head/neck up. Foreground are two holsters to go under the shabraque. Here they are glued in,

220930d Holsters

and carved down to fit:

220930bi Carved holsters and sawed shabraque

The saw cuts in the shabraque avoid the lace edge and are to let me close up the edge with the horse's neck.

Here are the crupper and breast plate, so-called, on and the left side of the shabraque glued on:

221001a Crupper and breast plate

This is going well. No catastrophe so far, he said touching wood.

Boa Tarda,

Alan 

• Like 8

57 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Don't think my other half would've been happy about getting my model out in the middle of a bar...

:ditto:

But the horsie and his indignities look very good... that sounds funny now that I write it...

Edited by arfa1983
  • Haha 2

On 10/1/2022 at 2:31 PM, Courageous said:

Looks like you know what you're doing there. Don't think my other half would've been happy about getting my model out in the middle of a bar...

Stuart

Mrs.Tura may have her faults, Stuart, but as long as she's well supplied with Espresso Martinis, she couldn't really care less what I do!

Here is the shabraque on, and the front edges stuck down and smoothed out.

221002a Blanket

Having got that sorted, however, the next problem appears:

221006a Sheepskin fit 1

The sheepskin will fit at the front, or the back, but not both simultaneously. I've spent several hours carving back the shabraque and thinning out the sheepskin.

Here is as far as I've got before home. The pencil lines mark the front edge of the sheepskin, which is to say the front limit of shabraque-carving:

221006b Stop in Portugal

The answer to the sheepskin fit, I think, will be to saw it nearly in two through the girth and then fit the back and front more or less separately. The back of the sheepskin is nothing like curved tightly enough to fit the valise, and I think it will need a whole series of transverse saw-cuts to preserve the edge but let it close up the space between itself and the valise. I don't fancy that on holidays. More to the point the decorations (in the foreground) will need to go on the front at least of the shabraque before the sheepskin because they are partly covered by the sheepskin. It is clearly going to be critical that they go on properly centred on the corners of the shabraque, and unfortunately I haven't brought any sticky labels which would make that straightforward. So, I want to do that at home. So, I'll try to do a bit of neck-fixing for the next couple of days and,

see you later,

Alan  

• Like 7