Lt. Gerald Anderson RCNVR’s FG-1 Corsair. +++++ Finished +++++

mark.au

Mark, I'm not sure if you are interested but another thing you sometimes see in photos is where the ammo boxes have been put back in the wrong place.  The top of the ammo box forms the top surface of the wing and thus carries the camouflage finish & in BPF aircraft part of the white / blue bar.  The ammunition cans were interchangeable thus sometimes you see the blue bar on the middle box etc...  I'll see if I can find a picture..

• Like 1

Some dead sound insights into the subtleties involved in reproducing the accidents of wear in a deliberate form Mark. Boggles the mind the way we strive to reproduce in hours in an interior setting the effects of days and weeks of exposure to exterior environmental dynamics.

It's almost like there's an art to it! 😁

(Of which you are a damn fine exponent).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/9/2022 at 10:22 PM, Grey Beema said:

Mark, I'm not sure if you are interested but another thing you sometimes see in photos is where the ammo boxes have been put back in the wrong place.  The top of the ammo box forms the top surface of the wing and thus carries the camouflage finish & in BPF aircraft part of the white / blue bar.  The ammunition cans were interchangeable thus sometimes you see the blue bar on the middle box etc...  I'll see if I can find a picture..

Thanks, I actually knew that, and in fact did it on another Corsair I built as part of an Air Group project.

spacer.png

On 10/10/2022 at 5:07 AM, bigbadbadge said:

Great work Mark, looks lovely, enjoy your trip to Sydney.

Chris

It was a very nice trip, thanks.  We had dinner on Tuesday night a little boutique Indian restaurant at Lavender Bay.  Sydney Harbour is quite spectacular at night…

spacer.png

On 10/10/2022 at 9:02 AM, TheBaron said:

Some dead sound insights into the subtleties involved in reproducing the accidents of wear in a deliberate form Mark. Boggles the mind the way we strive to reproduce in hours in an interior setting the effects of days and weeks of exposure to exterior environmental dynamics.

It's almost like there's an art to it! 😁

(Of which you are a damn fine exponent).

…and we’re never quite satisfied…

On 10/10/2022 at 11:21 AM, Scooby said:

The serials look great! Well done, I have a Cameo 3 too but I’ve yet to use it. I will likely do Anderson’s Corsair too.

Mine is a Portrait but I doubt that makes a difference.  It’s my favourite tool, and opens up so many subjects.  I hope you do a WIP for your take on Anderson’s Corsair.

So where was I?  One last task before working on the underside, that being the tail feathers.  I started with a careful mask job…

spacer.png

…and then a base of a lightened GSB.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Next, I darkened the inner segments (for want of a better descriptor) and blended such that the overall hue was lighter than the GSB on the metal, but it was obviously (I hope) the same colour.

Starting with the inner flaps I added a bit of weathering and glossed up the metal part of the structure.

spacer.png

Next the elevators and rudder; same process, and not forgetting to repaint the trim tabs GSB as they were metal.  I’ll add their final gloss finish when I do the same for the fuselage.  The rudder and elevators are finished except for a wash and little detail painting for the trim tab actuators.

spacer.png

spacer.png

There was actually a bit of back and forth to arrive at this result, but I’m glad I made the effort because I’m pleased with how it ended up.

Next I’ll work completing the underside.  

Cheers.

• Like 16

Mark,

Glad you enjoyed the big smoke. There's some lovely work going on here, and I think you have provided the final impetus for the cutter business case,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm really late to this party, and I love what I've seen!  I have to agree with you that the initial chipping experiments represented much different weathering than what I'm used to, but they mimic your source pictures very well.  The wear you did with the pencils is great -- I've tried using pencils before and it never turned out well, so I gave up.  I wonder what I'm doing wrong?  It seems like you have more control than with a brush.  Paint chipping to me is a dangerous activity because I always find a way to mess it up and it's the hardest to recover from.

Also, I have to admit to some envy with your stencil cutter.  More and more I'd rather paint markings on than use decals.  Having a stencil cutter would make that a lot easier! :) Being a person whose computers run neither Windows nor Apple, I'm not sure of the compatibility of them with a cutting machine.  But that's mainly because I haven't looked.

At any rate... this looks amazing so far!  I'm glad I've caught up! :)

• Thanks 1

On 10/13/2022 at 11:09 PM, AdrianMF said:

It’s looking very sharp. The tailplane/elevator treatment looks spot on.

Regards,

Adrian

On 10/14/2022 at 4:03 AM, bigbadbadge said:

Glad you had a great trip Mark, it certainly does look spectacular, as does your work on the Corsair, the elevators, rudder and flaps look the business.

Great work

Chris

On 10/14/2022 at 4:57 AM, AliGauld said:

I can't say much more than the previous comments.

Wonderful work.

18 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Love the subtle work on the fabric tail surfaces.

15 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Very nice looking Corsair. 

14 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Can't put it any better than Cookie does. Deeply satisfying results Mark.

10 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Nice work with the lightened GSB, I would have shot the same shade all over, lazy as I am...

Colin

Thank you gents, it's one of my better results in representing fabric finishes.  @heloman1 - having seen the infinite patience and diligence with which you pursue your desired results I can say categorically that you're not lazy!

13 hours ago, Dunny said:

Mark,

Glad you enjoyed the big smoke. There's some lovely work going on here, and I think you have provided the final impetus for the cutter business case,

3 hours ago, opus999 said:

I'm really late to this party, and I love what I've seen!  I have to agree with you that the initial chipping experiments represented much different weathering than what I'm used to, but they mimic your source pictures very well.  The wear you did with the pencils is great -- I've tried using pencils before and it never turned out well, so I gave up.  I wonder what I'm doing wrong?  It seems like you have more control than with a brush.  Paint chipping to me is a dangerous activity because I always find a way to mess it up and it's the hardest to recover from.

Also, I have to admit to some envy with your stencil cutter.  More and more I'd rather paint markings on than use decals.  Having a stencil cutter would make that a lot easier! :) Being a person whose computers run neither Windows nor Apple, I'm not sure of the compatibility of them with a cutting machine.  But that's mainly because I haven't looked.

At any rate... this looks amazing so far!  I'm glad I've caught up! :)

Glad you're on board Opus.  Pencils offer a lot of control and the ability to simply wipe away any results that don't satisfy.  I simply tap them to build up the density of effect that I'm after.  I rarely "draw" with them.  I generally over apply them with the knowledge that when the finish coats are applied the effect is toned down.

As for a cutter - well, I'm beginning to feel like I'm being cast as an evangelist on these things now.  Not a role I'm uncomfortable with because they are so useful.  @opus999, I'm sure there must be some middleware that would bridge the more popular consumer cutters to your operating system.

Not a lot to show for the latest progress.  I worked on the underside with some light chipping and applied the finish coat.  The chipping is very light as this is a machine just returned to Formidable and likely not a lot of work done on it - at least as compared to the upper surfaces where guns are loaded, full and maintenance, etc.

spacer.png

It seems that my wheel rim is slightly proud of the tire.  A little dark wash might be needed to disguise that faux pas.

spacer.png

I have yet to fabricate the anti-sway bars for the bombs.  I've drilled through and plan to use wire to create them but I also think I may have some PE in the spares box I could press into service.

spacer.png

I must admit I'm finding it challenging working on this dark colour, glossy finish airframe.  Nothing is quite how I think it should look, though it compares well to the reference photos.  It's an interesting challenge to achieve a realistic finish even while it jars against my expectation of what the finish would look like.  Also think I have a ghost seam appeared on the upper cowl just behind where the engine will attach - some sprue goo will fix that.

Cheers.

• Like 13

12 minutes ago, mark.au said:

even while it jars against my expectation of what the finish would look like.

I think you have previously accused me of being too hard on myself. Same.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Well, I hope he's on commission.

Mine will be here in 3-7 business days. The man's a snake-oil salesman 🤣

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, mark.au said:

I wish I was!  Congratulations, you won’t regret that purchase.

Well I'll know who to blame. :whistle:;)

7 hours ago, Dunny said:

Mine will be here in 3-7 business days. The man's a snake-oil salesman 🤣

Oh I might not go that far, possibly Carpet-Bagger :rofl2:.

My thought processes were that the Zero will be a nice easy introduction.

Enough thread drift.

Apologies.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 1