Airco DH.2 scratchbuild completed

15 hours ago, Putty Animal said:

This is my Airco DH.2 scratchbuilt in 1/144 scale, which I have been working on for the best part of the year. A strange thing happened during the last covid lockdown, and I received an opportunity to put together a book on scratchbuilding in 1/144 with an emphasis on WW1 aircraft.   🤯

The DH.2 is one of my all-time favourite British aircraft.  Not wanting to let the side down, I've been doing my best to make a good job of it. It's been a bit of a learning process and I have a few quibbles. But all things considered, it worked out pretty well. 

An RFC Nieuport is next! 🤞

XQmcF9e.jpg

XGgQ3F3.jpg

HGUu6Dx.jpg

m6Ua4EQ.jpg

LvaEqlr.jpg

3o1mcA8.jpg

Great job.

Alain

Good God, that's incredible work. I don't think I've seen anything like it. Amazing.

I dunno. I spend ages the other day trying to fit a couple of aerials to a P-51B in 1/72 with much swearing and cursing involved, and then you get someone who can do rigging like this in 1/144. I think I'll take up another hobby.

Again, amazing work. Second to none.

Steve

• Like 2

Incredible modelling , are you a neuro surgeon ? With hands like yours you should be ! . The Wingnut Wings DH 2 was the smallest I could build .

Don .

• Like 1

Thank you everybody!  It is super encouraging and really means a lot.  Truly, thank you 🙏

18 hours ago, TallBlondJohn said:

Superb. How did you paint the linen affect? Is it Tamiya smoke?

Hi TBJ The linen is a lightened coat of Mr Color's "Sail Color" with some light shading with artist oils afterwards.  I still need to work on that a bit to get it down pat.  Hopefully it goes okay on the next one 🤞

1 minute ago, Jochen Barett said:

Yeah, that one passes inspection too. Just fascinating in every aspect (detail, paint, ...).

I barely recovered from the other one just a few days ago

Oh I think I'm done with pushers for a while.  Although there is a little voice calling out to complete the trilogy and do a Vickers FB.5 Gunbus as well! 

I tried to do some improvements over the Fe2 this time around.  Some were successful.  Others not so much.  The cockpit worked out better though.  I was pretty happy with that.  Even though I realised after taking the photo that I had forgotten to make a control stick yet.  😅

6Zsa1VU.jpg

• Like 3

I'd get a headache merely thinking about doing rigging like that in 72, but in 144 I'd most likely go insane while attempting to install a single wire without plastering such a tiny model with globs of glue.
Simply superb work👍

3 hours ago, Putty Animal said:

+++

Oh I think I'm done with pushers for a while.  Although there is a little voice calling out to complete the trilogy and do a Vickers FB.5 Gunbus as well! 

I tried to do some improvements over the Fe2 this time around.  Some were successful.  Others not so much.  The cockpit worked out better though.  I was pretty happy with that.  Even though I realised after taking the photo that I had forgotten to make a control stick yet.  😅

+++

Who would have noticed the missing control stick while admiring the ammo drums and the fuselage's internal rigging?

(I'm already convinced just by the look of the roundels.)

Who could possibly object seeing the complete trilogy?

• Like 1

I can’t imagine achieving close to that from a kit in 1/32 in my wildest dreams. It seems inadequate that what we each do has the same name of “model-making” as it’s simply not the same thing. 

Edited by wombat