Formula One has always been exciting but, in my opinion, never as much as it was in the 1970s.  Ferraris, Tyrells, McLarens and the Shadow DN series all took on a modern format that we have come to accept as normal.  Very exciting!

But for me, the best of the best was Lotus with their Model 72.  Add to that the memorable sponsorship from John Player Special and we have something that truly deserves the epithet iconic.

spacer.png

Copyright John Chapman via Wikipedia.  Licenced under the GNU Free Documentation Licence https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lotus_72_JPS.jpg

The Lotus team drivers, Emerson Fittipaldi and Ronnie Peterson, were household names.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotus_72

As a callow youth I built the Tamiya 1/12 Scale masterpiece.    For this build I will be using the Ebbro 1/20 scale kit, which also looks to be a masterpiece. :thumbsup:

spacer.png

Do you notice anything strange about the box art?  :wink:

• Like 17

1 hour ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Do you notice anything strange about the box art?  :wink:

Has no John Player Special or JPS logos.

A favourite of mine as well,  but for me the 1970 Gold Leaf Team Lotus livery.

My first British Grand Prix at Brands Hatch, won by Jochen Rindt.

I recently acquired THAT car in EBRO kit, so am watching this build with great interest.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

My first British Grand Prix at Brands Hatch, won by Jochen Rindt.

I recently acquired THAT car in EBRO kit, so am watching this build with great interest.

Probably not wanting to promote cigarettes nowadays. I would think there is an Aftermarket sheet for the proper markings.   

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Eggzackerly!  :thumbsup:

The 1970 Gold Leaf livery was applied to the Lotus 72C which was a quite different car.  The 72C didn't have a double layer body.  Ebbro also produce(d) a kit of the Gold Leaf 72C - which I just happen to have in The Stash...   :) 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Probably not wanting to promote cigarettes nowadays. I would think there is an Aftermarket sheet for the proper markings.   

Very possibly - especially considering that Ford, Texaco and Goodyear logos are included on the decals.  However, as you say, there are aftermarket sheets available - one of which is sat in the kit box.  :thumbsup: 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Ebbro also produce(d) a kit of the Gold Leaf 72C - which I just happen to have in The Stash...   :) 

So do I,  a retirement prezzie to myself.  Found earlier this year at IPMS Glos show.

Ebbro-Lotus72.jpg

Mine doesn't say Gold Leaf on the boxart or decals - which I hadn't noticed before.

I've got HiroBoy between my house and Jet Age, time for the aftermarket.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

spacer.png

Do you notice anything strange about the box art?  

Lotus72, great choice!!

The other thing that jumps out is that although the car is mid corner, the artist has got Ronnie steering straight ahead!

M.

Edited by Malc2
  • Like 2

Top choice Enzo. I'll be following this closely as I have this one in the stash along with Ebbro's Lotus 72C... 33... 49... 88B... 91... are they a bit Lotus obsessed? Am I?

The question is... will your build be Ronnie's or Emmo's car?

Phil

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PHIL B said:

The question is... will your build be Ronnie's or Emmo's car?

It's gotta be Emerson.  I even have a 1:20 resin Fittipaldi figure to go with the build.

As for being Lotus obsessed...   The Stash currently has the following:

Ebbro Rob Walker Lotus 72C

Ebbro Gold Leaf Lotus 72C

Tamiya JPS Lotus 79

Tamiya JPS Lotus 97T

Tamiya Lotus 99T

Tamiya Lotus 107B

Plus, there are a Tyrell 002, 003, P34 and a McLaren M23.

I wish that someone produced a readily available Shadow DN7 in 1/20 scale.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

It's gotta be Emerson.  I even have a 1:20 resin Fittipaldi figure to go with the build.

As for being Lotus obsessed...   The Stash currently has the following:

Ebbro Rob Walker Lotus 72C

Ebbro Gold Leaf Lotus 72C

Tamiya JPS Lotus 79

Tamiya JPS Lotus 97T

Tamiya Lotus 99T

Tamiya Lotus 107B

Plus, there are a Tyrell 002, 003, P34 and a McLaren M23.

You are clearly someone of fine taste in racing cars and Brazilian driving masters. Will you be pairing your 72E with a Tyrrell 006 when Ebbro release it?

Ebbro really picked up the classic F1 baton from Tamiya after they lost interest. Their Lotus 25 & Honda RA165 were lovely.

That Shadow is a very nice thing isn't it?

Ah good, so this is a safe space to mention my Tamiya 25, 78, 79, 99T & 102D? Some would think I have Lotus tendancies until they see my stash of Williams kits. 😉

Phil

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, PHIL B said:

Will you be pairing your 72E with a Tyrrell 006 when Ebbro release it?

Have you put a surveillance chip in my head or summat?!?!?!?  

Or maybe you're just looking at my Hannants backorder list...   :bleh:

• Haha 2

On 10/1/2022 at 8:21 PM, Enzo Matrix said:

Do you not fancy the new Iritani DN7?

I have bought model car kits from Brazil recently with no problems.

PS Not saying I too am a Lotus fan, but my list of 1/20 Lotus kits in the stash is up to 17......... I think I may have over egged it just a bit?

Thats including the worlds worst Lotus kit - the Garage Unlimited 102 Lamborghini - the last all yellow Lotus.

Malc.

Edited by Malc2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, let's look at the sprues.  It's a bit like a Matchbox kit :fool:  in that there are different colours of plastic.

First black

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Then silver:

spacer.png

spacer.png

and chrome

spacer.png

There are also two identical sets for the upper body/windscreen assembly.  There are options for clear and smoked windscreens.

spacer.png

You may notice that there are two sets of parts for the main body.  The silver parts are for the earlier Lotus 72 versions.  They are still used in this kit but there are extra parts in black to overlay the silver components.  This is exactly how the real car was buit: the Lotus 72E had a double layered body.

Ebbro do not intend the modeller to paint the upper body/windscreen component.  There is a wrap around decal which will provide the black areas.  I think I'll mask off the windscreen anyway and paint it.

• Like 4

I have some aftermarket extras for this kit.

As mentioned earlier, the kit decals do not provide the JPS logos for this scheme.  Maybe it's a licensing issue.  No matter, I have two aftermarket decal sheets which I can use.  I will also be using a Tamiya seat harness set. 

And then there is Emerson himself.

spacer.png

Ebbro provide an aftermarket set for the front subframe.  There are no parts for this in the kit, no doubt because it would be ar too delicate to mould in plastic.   The aftermarket set is in metal.

spacer.png

• Like 9

Who ever thought we'd get an injection moulded Lotus 72 kit, never mind 2 or 3?

You can see the Tamiya DNA in the mouldings, tyres and decals. 

As for the tobacco logos, they've been illegal in new kits since the late 1980s. Enzo, I'm really interested to see what you think of the aftermarket decals' colour match to the kit ones when they're on the model.

Emmo is looking cool as usual, even in 1/20 scale and that front subframe is going to look amazing.

Are your sprue cutters getting impatient? 😁

Phil

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, PHIL B said:

I'm really interested to see what you think of the aftermarket decals' colour match to the kit ones when they're on the model.

That's why I bought two different sets.

• Like 1