Beaufort Mk1 ready for ops

Dear Colleagues

It is great to see the Beaufort in nicely rendered styrene, and also the Taurus engined Mk1 to boot.  However, I don't like Airfix's over-enthusiastic panel lines on the fuselage, so spent quite a lot of time filling to calm them down.  The turret area on the kit is adapted so that a Mk2 is clearly planned.  This compromises the fuselage here and a lot of filling is again required to fare the insert around the Mk1 turret.  I used the AK interactive paints and supplemented the kit with Gaspatch 3-D Vickers K guns.

I was inspired by the book 'Last of the torpedo flyers' by Arthur Aldridge about his time in 217 Squadron, which is one of the marking sets available in the kit.  He reckoned that on the basis of his intake of trained Beaufort crews, there was only a 20% chance of surviving torpedo ops.  The Warpaint book on the Beaufort shows how weathered these aircraft got which suited me fine!

QhcHCLy.jpg

BXYNf7a.jpg

dQqx3YA.jpg

hCBvSnR.jpg

7e8UmPE.jpg

Hope you like it?

Regards

Andrew

• Like 51
  • Thanks 2

Wow! That looks great! Those exhaust collectors are very well done. You've caught hteir colours just right.

Did you lighten the AK paints any? I bought some a while ago but have not used them on a kit yet. I did brush out some small patched onto a paper card, to see what they would look like. They are quite dark and I think maybe too dark for 1/72 scale, especially the Extra Dark Sea Grey and the Dark Slate Grey.

51993345299_aa68a51d22_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 1

What's not to like with a Beaufort?

Congratulations! Your build is superb.

JR

• Like 1

Magnificent Beaufort presentation!

Not being well versed in British bomber kits, I wasn't sure if the model is 1:48th or gentlemen's scale – anyhow, a real beauty!

And I just love the offset front wheels of the Tilly (or whatever its is). It adds so much 'life'.

Kind regards,

Joachim

Hi, 

This is superlative, the model and its posing in the diorama setting is one to behold. 

Can you tell me where you got the hanger from? As a backdrop it is brilliant. 

I like the running up of the props photo too, ( but there isn't a pilot in the cockpit?) But the portrayal is first class. 

Thanks for sharing, definitely one to be proud of. 

Kevin 

• Like 1

Andrew,

Lovely build and finish - particularly impressive is your treatment of the exhaust collectors. Most realistic,

Cheers,

Roger

On 24/09/2022 at 17:07, AndrewCJ50 said:

Dear Colleagues

It is great to see the Beaufort in nicely rendered styrene, and also the Taurus engined Mk1 to boot.  However, I don't like Airfix's over-enthusiastic panel lines on the fuselage, so spent quite a lot of time filling to calm them down.  The turret area on the kit is adapted so that a Mk2 is clearly planned.  This compromises the fuselage here and a lot of filling is again required to fare the insert around the Mk1 turret.  I used the AK interactive paints and supplemented the kit with Gaspatch 3-D Vickers K guns.

I was inspired by the book 'Last of the torpedo flyers' by Arthur Aldridge about his time in 217 Squadron, which is one of the marking sets available in the kit.  He reckoned that on the basis of his intake of trained Beaufort crews, there was only a 20% chance of surviving torpedo ops.  The Warpaint book on the Beaufort shows how weathered these aircraft got which suited me fine!

QhcHCLy.jpg

BXYNf7a.jpg

dQqx3YA.jpg

hCBvSnR.jpg

7e8UmPE.jpg

Hope you like it?

Regards

Andrew

Nice, well done.

Alain

Dear Chris and Colleagues

The AK paints may look dark in the pot, but I was surprised how calm and gentle they turned out when sprayed on the model.  I found I really liked this colour scheme, perfect for the sea!

The cowls were AK metals that were then over-sprayed with Tamiya smoke

I know I got the hanger scene from Hannants but can't remember the producer now, sorry

Regards

Andrew

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, AndrewCJ50 said:

Dear Chris and Colleagues

The AK paints may look dark in the pot, but I was surprised how calm and gentle they turned out when sprayed on the model.  I found I really liked this colour scheme, perfect for the sea!

The cowls were AK metals that were then over-sprayed with Tamiya smoke

I know I got the hanger scene from Hannants but can't remember the producer now, sorry

Regards

Andrew

Great intel! Thanks!

Chris