74 Squadron Meteor F8 photos

franky boy

Hello chaps

Im just in the middle of sorting out my build for the upcoming Meteor STGB.

I’m planning on building VZ547 B, an F8 on the strength of 74 squadron based at Horsham St Faith using an older Xtradecals sheet. I’ve found photos of other Meteors from 74 squadron but not of this specific aircraft.

Just wondering if anyone can help with a photo?

Thanks

James 

Had a look in three suitable books (Cold War Shield by Roger Lindsay, Gloster Meteor (Crowood) by Barry Jones and Meteor: Gloster's First Jet Fighter by Steven Bond) and no joy I'm afraid. The otherwise excellent Cold War Shield is a little light on 74 sqn photos unfortunately, although there are fine side views of VZ544/Z and WE885/G in High Speed Silver. Happy to scan these if of use? Drop me a PM if so.

Thanks for the reply @Vulcanicity

Thanks for trawling through the books. I need to get myself a copy of Cold War Shield vol. 1. Just need to remortgage first😀

Ive found a pretty good pic of WE885/G on the 74 squadron web pages taken from the rear left quarter along with other shots of other Meteors in flight. All have the earlier style canopy and I’m pretty sure small bore intakes which was what I trying to determine for my subject. 

Thanks for the offer of the scans. I’ll pm you if needed. 

Regards

James

No problem. Keep an eye out for a job lot on Facebook Marketplace, I bought a load of aviation books on spec last year from a house clearance and even after heavy sifting kept 90 of them, including both volumes of Cold War Shield. Not bad for £100!

• Like 2

Hello mate

RAF in Camera 1950’s by Keith Wilson has a photo which includes 547 in flight along with three others also Warpaint no 22 Gloster Meteor has a colour profile of 547 but no photo. I’ll pm both across to you later this morning when I get into work. Both feature the earlier canopy.

Pete

• Thanks 1