Width of Ignition Harnesses on WWII Radial Engines

Scimitar F1

Hi

This is a question that has been on my

mind for a while. With two 1/32 R-2800 powered fighters on the go it has become more pressing!

I have tried looking at various photographs and calculating the width of the wires by ratioing against other parts of the engine and I get a figure of just under 1/2 in. 

Does anyone have an exact figure as when I use scale thickness wire it looks very skinny compared to other models I see. I am not planning on visiting a museum with a recovered radial engine soon so does anyone have the answer or has access and could measure?

I also assume that the width was common across large if not all radial engines.

Will

Hi Will,

A friend of mine with access to a museum R-2800 "B" series with high tension ignition system took measurements for me. He found the leads to the spark plugs were ~0.5 inches in diameter inclusive of the shielding.  And just in case you need this, the push rod tubes measured ~1" OD. Measurements taken with a micrometer, so are close enough for our purposes.  Take care as the CB15/16 engines in many restorations have low tension systems. I think that we have become accustomed to seeing thick, easier to work with, wiring on model R-2800's.  If you take measurements, please post them.

Don

• Thanks 2