"Schweinhund III" - Cpt. Grinnell-Milne's SE.5a in France, early 1919.

mark.au

G'day all;

Here's my just finished SE.5a from the Roden 1/32 kit.  In brief, this is my first WW1 rigged biplane and I enjoyed it very much.  The kit built up well with no significant fit issues.  There are no decals on the model, I painted all with masks made on my Silhouette cutter.  I marked mine as "Schweinhund III" rather than the conventional "Schweinhund" because in his book Duncan G-M says he had three aircraft of that name and I wanted to model his last one.  I have no photographic evidence for this, but it's a bit different and I like that.  Here's the WIP if you're interested in the how's and why's of the build.

The finished photos:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers.

Edited by mark.au
Typo
  • Like 50
  • Thanks 2

I stumbled upon your WIP on this very recently, and was still tabbing my way through that and already I find this RFI!

The build is absolutely superb Mark, and executed with such speed, yet at the same time incredible expertise and precision.

I do like everything about it, but must mention especially the paint finish, and in particular how the red fuselage looks so realistic. Red is a challenging colour to apply, and can often look too bright, or simply just wrong. Here you have it spot on.

And as for the rigging.................... just amazing!

Hats off indeed!!

Terry

• Thanks 1

Love it !!  :clap:
I particularly like the lettering/masking you made for “Schweinhund III”, it looks spot on like a hand painted addition in the field.  So often it’s these details that turn a fine model into a brilliant one.

Great job Mark!

Dave

• Thanks 1

Beautifully finished model. As others have said, red can be very bland, or "in your face", this is neither and just looks right. 

I look forward to more biplanes from your bench now you've put the rigging devils behind you.

Ian

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Now what's next a DH2???😉

Oh no!  🥺 😄   But, I do have a Camel as my only resident of my SoD, plus a Nieuport something or other.  

17 hours ago, Toryu said:

Eventually an RFC/RAF model that is not PC 10 overall - nice!

My wife chose the scheme specifically for the red, and I quote "don't do one of those boring green ones!"

15 hours ago, billn53 said:

and need to learn a few tricks.

Let's not get carried away Bill... in following your WIPs I'm not sure there were any tricks that you don't already know.

14 hours ago, giemme said:

The painted on markings look spot on, and the overall paint finish is just perfect. Hat's off! 

It's my favourite part of the process, I rarely use decals now.

13 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

do like everything about it, but must mention especially the paint finish, and in particular how the red fuselage looks so realistic. Red is a challenging colour to apply, and can often look too bright, or simply just wrong. Here you have it spot on.

I use these paints for all my painting now.  They airbrush easily when thinned appropriately (I use Windex), and cover beautifully, much better than any other acrylic I've used.  I usually add a little Future/Klear in the mix too, which adds an element of durability as well as creating a very smooth finish.  There's literally no drawback to them - including price, the only very slight inconvenience is the need to mix colours.

spacer.png

3 hours ago, Brandy said:

Beautifully finished model. As others have said, red can be very bland, or "in your face", this is neither and just looks right. 

I look forward to more biplanes from your bench now you've put the rigging devils behind you.

Ian

There will be more, and I'll be sure and check whether the turnbuckles are appropriate or not in the future! 😉

To everyone who commented  and/or liked, thanks! much appreciated.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Lovely SE5a, it shows that the Roden kits are well worth building even if Wingnut Wings had spoiled us. This one more than proves that a great result is possible with the Roden offerings.

Cheers

John

• Thanks 1

On 24/09/2022 at 02:45, mark.au said:

G'day all;

Here's my just finished SE.5a from the Roden 1/32 kit.  In brief, this is my first WW1 rigged biplane and I enjoyed it very much.  The kit built up well with no significant fit issues.  There are no decals on the model, I painted all with masks made on my Silhouette cutter.  I marked mine as "Schweinhund III" rather than the conventional "Schweinhund" because in his book Duncan G-M says he had three aircraft of that name and I wanted to model his last one.  I have no photographic evidence for this, but it's a bit different and I like that.  Here's the WIP if you're interested in the how's and why's of the build.

The finished photos:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers.

Well done

Alain