Not 'that' 1/24 Airfix Spitfire...

Hi folks.

I was 12 when the 1/24 Spitfire MK.1a launched the new range in 1970. I built it with all the innocence and enthusiasm a pre-teen model nut could muster and it was a production that fairly stunned the hobby back in the day and made quite an impression on me as well.

Now, some 50 odd years later, I've felt a growing wish to re-visit the kit and build another one in the same vein - simple, straightforward and with no additions. A 1993 boxing was snagged a couple of years ago and immediately took root in the loft, where it's stayed until yesterday.

The catalyst for starting it was a certain other 1/24 Airfix Spitfire; a pre-production sample of the forthcoming IXc I completed on Sunday just gone for Airfix Model World (November issue, out Thursday 6 October).

You'd maybe think that 200+ build stages of that brand new and epic kit would leave me 'all Spitfired out' but instead, it's prompted a soirée back into the grandaddy of the line.

A Montex Mask set is the only concession to modernity as the 1993 decal sheet was water damaged when I received it.

So it begins...

The clear lenses of the IP were added in anticipation of finishing paint.

spacer.png

The pilot was ruthlessly Berna Clamped and left overnight to contemplate his appalling lack of co-operation...

spacer.png

At first I thought 'leave out the engine and just close it all up', until I remembered that the exhausts need something more tangible than air to cling too...doh! It's a shame to take the money... 

spacer.png

That big 'ole seat is...big! A session of clean up awaits before the lab grade isopropyl comes out to clean it all down prior to paint.

Spitfire1a4.jpg

That's it for the minute - time for some nosebag before heading back to the modelling bunker.

TTFN

Steve

Edited by The Mandalorian
  • Like 17

1 hour ago, jumbojock said:

Yes, take me down memory lane...but be gentle. Looking forward to how you tackle the dihedral issue.

Hi J.

I saw one build where a spar was made up and fitted. It introduces a small dilemma here though, as I've set myself the objective of taking the same route as I did when I was 12. I guess I'll cross that bridge when it rolls around.

TTFN

Steve  

I know I got one of these as a Christmas present when I was a kid, I did attempt to build it with help from my dad, but I can’t remember if I ever completed it. So a huge amount of nostalgia to see one built.

Looking forward to following  the build.

16 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looking forward to watching this , still got the  Mk.Vb in the stash and the Mk.IX on pre order.

Chris

Never seen inside a Vb box (need to get out more). I'm guessing you'll plough into your IXc first - have fun with it!

2 hours ago, Dave Slowbuild said:

Simply have to follow this one….  Thanks for sharing it with us Steve!

Dave

Cheers Dave. This one's set to be very low key but after the 'full fat' IXc the 1a is a pleasant change of pace. 

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

I know I got one of these as a Christmas present when I was a kid, I did attempt to build it with help from my dad, but I can’t remember if I ever completed it. So a huge amount of nostalgia to see one built.

Looking forward to following  the build.

There don't seem to be many around as build threads - some but not much. It's funny having the whole 1a kit out on the bench when the bunker was festooned with IXc runners hung up in every available scrap of space not so long ago - it graphically illustrates the enormous strides taken in the intervening 50 odd years...

• Like 1