Spanish submarine SA-51 "shark" - Mikro-Mir 1/144

Josep

Hello fellows,

This is my last project: the Spanish mini-submarine Tiburón ("shark") class SA-51.

(From wikipedia)

With a crew of five men, Tiburon-class submarines were intended to carry out week-long missions, would be ideal for operating in shallow waters and carrying special forces behind the enemy lines.

They were equipped with a greater accommodation than the preceding Foca-class, with a bathroom and two bunk beds, which allowed the crew to rest in "hot bed" shifts.

The design was based upon the German minisubmarine Hai-class. The submarines had two diesel engines (115 HP) and two electric engines (110 HP). The armament was two torpedoes. The sail was larger than the previous class which helps in the surveillance tasks. The submarines were armed with two 533 mm tubes capable of carrying G7a or G7e torpedoes.

The Tiburón-class had only two units, SA-51 and SA-52, but despite an improved version of the previous class, never got to join the navy. The submarines were in the Naval Week of Barcelona in 1966, one of them, SA-52, arrive from Cartagena on her own.

The SA-52 come back to the Isaac Peral Naval Base in Cartagena. 

On May 9, 1986, the SA-51 submarine was donated to the La Caixa Foundation for its science museum, now called "CosmoCaixa", in Barcelona. The submarine is on display in front of the museum entrance, as you can see in the next picture:

spacer.png

(The vertical clear parts, are intended to see the inside...).

The kit is made from Mikro-Mir, in 1/144. A too small scale, since the real submarine is barely 19 metres. 

Hence, it was a quick build...
All the parts needed to be sanded, and you have to be very caerful, because the plastic is very weak. 
I could'nt use the PE parts (too small...), But, anyway,  I'm glad for the result, and having this little sub at home.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I hope you like it.

Thanks for watching, ...and your comments will be welcomed!

Josep

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Josep said:

I could'nt use the PE parts (too small...),

It looks very good without them. (I can't do PE either.) A very interesting and unusual build well executed and with a smart paint job too. I also like the stand, very classy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...