Two new tooling from Tamiya at All-Japan Show

IT_Man

I would think a C/D phantom because of the tooling indications present. An N is also a consideration. 

Possibly a J as a longer shot.

As for the other tooling, they always manage to throw a curveball in, so gawd knows.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Greg B said:

As for the other tooling, they always manage to throw a curveball in, so gawd knows.

If they are following the lines of US navy aircraft the LTV A-7 Corsair fits the so called Tamiya philosophy.  Plus it's well over due to be done properly. 

Dick

• Like 6

2 hours ago, jenko said:

If they are following the lines of US navy aircraft the LTV A-7 Corsair fits the so called Tamiya philosophy.  Plus it's well over due to be done properly. 

Dick

Makes sense but to be honest I would veer towards a F/A-18C.

13 hours ago, Web99 said:

Hoping for some car kits as I got a lot of love for them. I know the new Nissan Z is coming but either a new supercar like an NSX type S or a Mclaren would be really cool. 

If as suggested earlier in the thread, one of the kits is a new variant of an existing tooling, then that could be a regular 240Z release of the recent full detail 1:24 Datsun 240ZG.  The way the ZG is tooled suggests that other variants are planned, and IIRC, the ZG was Japanese home market only, whereas the Z would have worldwide appeal.

Fingers crossed!!

5 hours ago, Calum said:

1/48 scale Armour - yes please

I still hope Tamiya starts with WWI, downsized Mk. IV tank would be nice.

• Like 2

The thing about Tamiya’s kit tooling choices is they do pretty much whatever they want to do without much worrying if they fit a particular niche or gap in the market. For a long time the choice came down to subjects that Mr Tamiya-san Senior liked or was interested in. I’d guess that the new kits will be an aircraft (1/48) and a military vehicle (1/35th or 1/48th) but you can’t rule out a car or motorbike either.

If I have to make predictions I’d say the following:

1/48 Curtiss P-40B/C / Hawk 81 / Tomahawk II

1/48 Centurion Mk VIII

• Like 2

On 9/23/2022 at 1:56 PM, AntPhillips said:

I'm pretty certain one of them will be another Phantom variant , it's been a while since the F-4B was released and Tamiya released the various Tomcat versions on approx 2 yearly intervals, so it could well be another F-4, the easiest option would be an F-4N but that wouldn't require that much of a modification and couldn't rightly be called a new tooling, so maybe it's a thick wing version, a J or C/D?

I agree, probably a 1/48 F-4C/D and a F-4N.

32 minutes ago, Scooby said:

No, their 1/48 F-4B is clearly tooled to release an F-4C/D.

Yep, indications on the sprues and the masks show an AF variant. There are the bits for the ejection seat, nose gear landing/taxi lights and masks that account for rear view mirrors. 

the B also has location pins on the intakes for the N shoulder mounted ECM fairings. 

Will just need the thicker wings and wheels for the C/D along with some minor lumps and bumps. The J would need an additional tail pipe sprue.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Greg B said:

Will just need the thicker wings and wheels for the C/D along with some minor lumps and bumps. The J would need an additional tail pipe sprue.

Hi,

If they do an F-4C/D, they'll also want to replace sprue N (Navy style inner pylons and spine) with an Air Force style equivalent. 

Although personally, I'd also love get the Navy style inner pylons for early F-4C's.

If they make the thicker wing, both C/D and J are within easy reach.

Cheers, Stefan.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stefan Buysse said:

If they do an F-4C/D, they'll also want to replace sprue N (Navy style inner pylons and spine) with an Air Force style equivalent. 

different spine is needed regardless, boom tanker receptacle. 
Incidentally, most Air Force F-4's in 1/48 are from the previous millenium, we could use a new Rhino with 21st century tooling. 

5 hours ago, alt-92 said:

different spine is needed regardless, boom tanker receptacle. 
Incidentally, most Air Force F-4's in 1/48 are from the previous millenium, we could use a new Rhino with 21st century tooling. 

Not got their F-4B but how many sprue gates looked blocked off?..Tamiya have added a handfull of new sprues to many releases and made a new version, 1/48 F-14 kit is a good example.

I hope its a new F-4 version...

Have we got to wait until the 30th at a minimum before we'll actually know something?  Does anyone have any experience as to whether they'll announce something on the first day, or do they hold back? :hmmm:

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mike said:

Have we got to wait until the 30th at a minimum before we'll actually know something?  Does anyone have any experience as to whether they'll announce something on the first day, or do they hold back? :hmmm:

I'll keep an eye on Tamiya blog. They released the January ones ahead of Tamiya official announcement 

• Like 1

I think a 1/72 P-38 is almost a certain at some point but I wonder if that is something more likely to appear at Nuremberg.  A new plane of some sort would be nice but I wonder it just ends up being an obscure armor subject and a car/bike kit.  Time will tell and would love to be proven wrong on that 72nd P-38.

15 minutes ago, Vennom said:

I remember seeing somewhere a few years back that Tamiya is working on P-40E - could be the one?

Yes that rumour was flying about on a previous thread on BM prior to the Phantom kit being announced. Not sure whether there was any substance to it but I for one would welcome a new tooled P-40E. In 1/48th scale please.